Thinking about first NB. any thoughts on this ?

Norm55

Featured Posts

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/liverpool-boats-45-cruiser-stern/649250

Hi all, new here and thinking of taking the plunge into NB ownership.  Have viewed the attached boat and appears very good.   However, wonder of am missing something.   Not the cheapest and it is an ex hire fleet.

It is for leisure only, just 2 of us and not a liveaboard.  Previous survey available and intend to get another done when it is blacked in November.

Have always thought never buy the first you see, but it does tick a lot of boxes.   Am fairly practical have renovated houses and woukd change bathroom etc 

Any thoughts ?  

Thanks for both replies

They were having viewings last Tuesday after I had been and it has been advertised online for a while . But it has not sold, so am I missing something?  It's back out on hire next week, so no viewings for a while. 

Have just read through the thread on buying ex rentals and verdict seems to be no problem, usually well maintained 

Interesting point about the hours....the Hobbs meter was showing zero.......

6 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

But it has not sold, so am I missing something? 

It's priced at the high end of the market. The curious thing about the 40-45ft market is that £45k will get you a boat 20 years newer. However they always say a boat's condition determines it's value. If it is in really good condition it's probably worth £35k in the current market (it's crazy). It has an instant gas hot water boiler which have fallen out of favour these days, but they have their advantages. Construction is probably 6/5/4 which was quite common in those days, as long as most of that thickness is still there then there's nothing to worry about. No central heating that I can see, but has a stove so you can probably live with that. As it hasn't sold, it puts you in a good position to make an offer.

My view is based on months of looking for a boat this size. Other learned members will be along to advise soon! 

1 hour ago, Norm55 said:

Previous survey available and intend to get another done when it is blacked in November.

For some reason some buyers buy the boat and then have a survey done when they lift it out for blacking.

Rather seems 'horse bolted - stable door' as its too late to change your mind when you have paid for it.

Make sure YOUR survey is done on your behalf with your name on the document and it is DONE before you hand over the money.

• Greenie 1

Thanks again for two more replies.

Was thinking of offering 30K  subject to survey  No central heating and have seen newer boats cheaper.  But now in lockdown in N Wales so wont see another for coupke of weeks, but then neither will anyone else.....

The blacking is being done  by vendor, not me, it is at this point I would ask for survey to be done ( by a surveyor of my choosing ) thus saving me the cost of lifting out of water.  Have not placed an offer yet 

1 minute ago, Norm55 said:

Thanks again for two more replies.

Was thinking of offering 30K  subject to survey  No central heating and have seen newer boats cheaper.  But now in lockdown in N Wales so wont see another for coupke of weeks, but then neither will anyone else.....

The blacking is being done  by vendor, not me, it is at this point I would ask for survey to be done ( by a surveyor of my choosing ) thus saving me the cost of lifting out of water.  Have not placed an offer yet 

We have been on the boat in North Wales for the last 14 weeks (since the 5 mile travel was lifted in July), we escaped and made it back over the border on Saturday after being 'locked down' in the Marina at 6pm on Friday.

Looks like an attractive boat, welcoming interior and an ideal size for two people to spend comfortable holidays on. It looks as if it's in good condition, and a survey will tell you if it really is.

The survey is the starting point. No mention of the insulation, so that's one question, I may have missed battery amounts, but to be fair, expect to have to replace batteries. I don't really see the need for central heating for that length, with what looks like a good size stove. 

I think it looks OK, if a bit overpriced, but its a fairly driven market just now.

If your head is saying its the boat for you, make an offer, arrange the survey, take it from there. The 2016 survey is irrelevant now. 

All the best whichever way you go. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Ally said:

The survey is the starting point. No mention of the insulation, so that's one question, I may have missed battery amounts, but to be fair, expect to have to replace batteries. I don't really see the need for central heating for that length, with what looks like a good size stove. 

I think it looks OK, if a bit overpriced, but its a fairly driven market just now.

If your head is saying its the boat for you, make an offer, arrange the survey, take it from there. The 2016 survey is irrelevant now. 

All the best whichever way you go. 

Blast from the past, welcome back.

12 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/bluewater-boats-40-semi-trad/650185

Thanks for all replies, just found this one too   Similar boat spec but a lot newer. For around same price.

Am confused ?

Similar spec, shorter, gas water heater, porta pottie, the door opens onto of the stove.

2 hours ago, Norm55 said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/bluewater-boats-40-semi-trad/650185

Thanks for all replies, just found this one too   Similar boat spec but a lot newer. For around same price.

Am confused ?

Boat built - 2010, completed 2016.  Thats a long time for a commercial fit-out.  Looks more like a self fit-out to me.  Check it comes with an RCD (Recreational craft directive).

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Not a chance!

Have you still got your Mel Davis boat?

I certainly have!  I have also recently become the unexpected owner of a tiny boat, just 20ft, that I am currently fitting out as a studio/weekender boat. I've had 4 years + basically away from the water,  whilst caring for my mum, but back now, and, well, I didn't want to get bored!

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1