The Union Flag

Ex Brummie

Featured Posts

During a 5 week cruise post lockdown, via canal from Wolverhampton to Oxford, and then on the Thames, it was heartwarming to see that so many houses and other buildings are now flying the 'Union Jack'. I do wish however, that everyone would take the trouble to find out the right way to fly it. There was a fair number flying upside down. (Unless of course, they are people who would rather fly the blue flag with the stars and they're making a comment):unsure:

Edited by Ex Brummie

17 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Unless the houses and building were floating it wasn’t a jack they were flying ?

Whilst there is a school of thought that 'jack' only applies to ships, there is no definite basis for this, and the term is generally accepted as applicable to the Union Flag in any form.

Alan beat me to it, very comprehensively, thank you

Edited by Ex Brummie
crossed post

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

See Hansard – House of Lords Debate 14 July 1908 vol 192 cc579-80

Where it was agreed that the term "Union Jack" was fully interchangeable with "Union Flag"

2 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Whilst there is a school of thought that 'jack' only applies to ships, there is no definite basis for this, and the term is generally accepted as applicable to the Union Flag in any form.

Although the name does originate from flying the union flag on a jack staff on the bow of a ship

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

However, looking to the future:

(Apologies to Athy, who once pulled me up for making a political statement outwith the Politics Forum)

flag.jpg

I suspect this is more likely.

7C82BD32-278B-4E88-AF5D-5B87FACA7AB0.png.bfeb55e87b912aad79a5aea385b8e02e.png

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Only with the red hand in the centre

Which one?

Certainly not the union flag/jack.

If you mean the George Cross then yes.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

17 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

During a 5 week cruise post lockdown, via canal from Wolverhampton to Oxford, and then on the Thames, it was heartwarming to see that so many houses and other buildings are now flying the 'Union Jack'. I do wish however, that everyone would take the trouble to find out the right way to fly it. There was a fair number flying upside down. (Unless of course, they are people who would rather fly the blue flag with the stars and they're making a comment):unsure:

What country has a blue flag with stars on it? 

I see no reason why the Union flag should change when Scotland leave the union.    True the4 flag was made of the flags of the various nations, however all it is now is a symbol of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.    There may not be as many states united but there will still be a UK and there is no reason why the pattern which is the Union Flag should change.    Unless of course you want to celebrate the breakup of the union.

13 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

However, looking to the future:

(Apologies to Athy, who once pulled me up for making a political statement outwith the Politics Forum)

flag.jpg

No apology needed.

I like "outwith" - evidently a reversible word, as it is (I presume) synonymous with "without". I remember singing "There is a green hill far away, without a city wall" at Sunday School and wondering why a green hill should have a city wall.

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

I like "outwith" - evidently a reversible word, as it is (I presume) synonymous with "without".

Widely used north of the border, to mean "beyond" or "outside" - eg "outwith the scope of the legislation". 

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Why does it have to be a country? The one you are referring to is simply the flag of Europe. It is used by the European Union and by the Council of Europe. The UK is still a member of the latter.

Edited by Machpoint005
  • Greenie 2

35 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Widely used north of the border, to mean "beyond" or "outside" - eg "outwith the scope of the legislation". 

....while when I was growing up in Leicestershire I heard "without" used in the sense of "unless". The English language is wonderful, if not always immediately comprehensible.

22 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And constantly changing even if I despair at some of the changes.

I don't mind changes if they are positive or useful. For example, the verb "to google" is a good addition to the language.

I do get het up about some changes, though I suppose that all I need to do is not use them and try to disregard them when someone else does. My latest growl-at-the-telly usage is "appeal", as in "He appealed the decision". No, he appealed AGAINST the decision.

Sloppy, as opposed to regional, pronunciation by T.V. presenters also gets my chevre, as such people are surely paid to speak clearly and correctly. I despair when I hear that "Laura Norder" is coming on, or that we are to see the "Weather in the Yeast". Would-be announcers should be forced to listen to Alex Dolan, who presents the latter, as a shining example of correct diction and modulation. 

Stop Press: to confirm my impression I have just watched one of her forecasts on You Tube - and heard her say that it would become "increasingly cloudier"! Arrgghh. To be fair, it was an excerpt form a programme broadcast nine years ago.

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't mind changes if they are positive or useful. For example, the verb "to google" is a good addition to the language.

I do get het up about some changes, though I suppose that all I need to do is not use them and try to disregard them when someone else does. My latest growl-at-the-telly usage is "appeal", as in "He appealed the decision". No, he appealed AGAINST the decision.

Sloppy, as opposed to regional, pronunciation by T.V. presenters also gets my chevre, as such people are surely paid to speak clearly and correctly. I despair when I hear that "Laura Norder" is coming on, or that we are to see the "Weather in the Yeast". Would-be announcers should be forced to listen to Alex Dolan, who presents the latter, as a shining example of correct diction and modulation. 

The ones that constantly get my goat (I wonder where that expression came from) are...

• "It's three times less than last year" which makes no sense whatsoever.  I presume they mean "a third"?
  • "Here is a drawring of the suspect"
  • "I sor it happen"
  • "I bought some sandwiches to the picnic"
  • "He's been taken to the hospickle"
  • "I brought a new TV from Currys"
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I do get het up about some changes, though I suppose that all I need to do is not use them and try to disregard them when someone else does.

How do you feel about "off of"?    Or even "gotten off of"

Just now, WotEver said:

The ones that constantly get my goat (I wonder where that expression came from) are...

• "It's three times less than last year" which makes no sense whatsoever.  I presume they mean "a third"?
  • "Here is a drawring of the suspect"
  • "I sor it happen"
  • "I bought some sandwiches to the picnic"
  • "He's been taken to the hospickle"
  • "I brought a new TV from Currys"

Agree strongly!    I would also add  - p'lice as in "the p'lice attended the crash".

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

How do you feel about "off of"?    Or even "gotten off of"

Or the new one, imported from the good ol' US of A... "I could care less". Yes, you probably could, so that makes a nonsense of your statement, doesn't it?

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You missed out one that is flown from most rural houses in the USA - the stars & stripes.  We saw loads when boating up the the Hudson & Erie canal in NY State - perhaps the Americans are so insecure they needed to be sure and remind us we hadn't reached the Quebec border?

• Greenie 1