Leaky plastic pipe joint

Featured Posts

Hi, as per the title, I have fitted new taps in the bathroom sink and for the life of me I cannot get one of the joints to stop leaking. I should point out I have no plumbing skills. My query is; is there a sealant I can use on the plastic pipe joint ? Thank you

8 minutes ago, colmac said:

Hi, as per the title, I have fitted new taps in the bathroom sink and for the life of me I cannot get one of the joints to stop leaking. I should point out I have no plumbing skills. My query is; is there a sealant I can use on the plastic pipe joint ? Thank you

You could bind it with Self Amalgamating tape, and if it is a pressure pipe bind that all over with thin soft wire or copper cable strands as reinforcement. AND switch your water pump off when leaving the boat unattended.

Edited by bizzard

Can you do a photo? Is this a standard plastic to plastic joint or a screw joint where the plastic pipe connects to the tap?

Standard plastic stuff normally works really well.

................Dave

Sorry, it's a bit of a Heath Robinson affair fitted by the previous owner. The tap has a brass fitting on to it, then a grey plastic fitting into that, then the actual water pipe is secured by a screw collar. Does that present a clearer picture ?

34 minutes ago, colmac said:

Sorry, it's a bit of a Heath Robinson affair fitted by the previous owner. The tap has a brass fitting on to it, then a grey plastic fitting into that, then the actual water pipe is secured by a screw collar. Does that present a clearer picture ?

Not really. Pictures needed.

43 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Check that the plastic pipe has an insert in

Yes, that's the usual omission with push-fit plastic pipes. (Not required for use with copper pipe because it should stay round by itself.)

There are lots of different types of ferrules. It doesn't really matter which ones you use as long as they are in the joint before you push the pipes together. If you want a belt & braces approach try the speedfit superseal inserts with the o-rings on the right. They can be difficult to push in so buy yourself some silicone grease (plumbers grease) at the same time and give the outside of the ferrule a little smear before pushing them into the end of the pipes. Everything is available at Toolstation or Screwfix.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRfYZ-Nb-2Pw5ewz4FI_KqNkVZexlllRpSmWb4rpljMoj5xjRMznr3L2PaUvTozwJNXCM9SyAaf&usqp=CAc64318_P&$prodImageMedium$JG Speedfit Pipe Fittings | Plumbing | Screwfix.com

Switch off your water pump and open a couple of taps to release the pressure in the system before taking the joint apart and have a couple of old towels ready for any residual water coming out of the pipes.

Edited by blackrose

45 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Also, you can try wrapping ptfe tape around the thread

https://www.toolstation.com/ptfe-tape/p67236

I prefer gas PTFE tape. It's thicker, easier to use and only requires one wrap. Remember to wrap it up the thread so that when you screw on the collar it's not pushed off the thread.

https://www.toolstation.com/ptfe-gas-spec-tape/p31336 

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I prefer gas PTFE tape. It's thicker, easier to use and only requires one wrap. Remember to wrap it up the thread so that when you screw on the collar it's not pushed off the thread.

https://www.toolstation.com/ptfe-gas-spec-tape/p31336 

I prefer liquid PTFE for most applications: https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-ptfe-liquid-50g/5321j It's less fiddly than tape.

Grey plastic fitting suggests an H2O push fit tap connector to me, in which case its the thin stainless insert. Usual problem with these is cutting the pipe with a saw rather than a knife or shears which leaves frazz bits that prevent the "o" ring from sealing properly.

But then I may be completely wrong, a picture would prove the theory!

TD'

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Grey plastic fitting suggests an H2O push fit tap connector to me, in which case its the thin stainless insert. Usual problem with these is cutting the pipe with a saw rather than a knife or shears which leaves frazz bits that prevent the "o" ring from sealing properly.

But then I may be completely wrong, a picture would prove the theory!

TD'

Either that or careless handling of the pipe before installation caused a lengthwise scratch(es) which the o ring can’t seal.

If we are talking of a screw connection (plastic onto brass), these will nearly always leak if overtightened. The plastic distorts.

Fernox LX is your friend here; use it liberally on threads and the rubber washer. Don't overtighten (just past hand-tight should be enough).