Can we cruise or not?

canalboat

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I've had an email from our marina this afternoon saying they are following government guidelines and as boats are second homes the marina is still closed to everyone as you shouldn't be visiting second homes.

They state as they have no residential moorings all boats are second homes so I wonder what those who unofficially live in the marina are currently doing.

Our boat club on the tidal river (non CaRT) had originally just shut the clubhouse but allowed access to the yard for essential access. However, on Saturday they emailed to say all access was now by request to the commodore. Reading between the lines looks like some were taking the p and poss staying on their boats for the lockdown, back and forth etc. Now could well be June before we can go there.

Marina's seem to be interpreting the situation differently. Castle Marina's are 'open'. Yelvertoft Marina will be opening a booking system for visits to ensure nobody is in adjoining boats and other marina's seem to be staying locked down. All very confusing for boaters...

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

He moors about ten miles down hill from here. I doubt it's essential but I don't know. I agree it's his choice and doubt he will come across any Covid police on this stretch? ?

But it isn't his choice. See CRT guidance above.

The Covid Police are irrelevant. The folk he may unknowingly infect are highly relevant. 

1 minute ago, dogsarelandseals said:

I wonder at what point it becomes unlawful to prevent access to our boats, when the government is allowing kayaking/canoeing 

It isn't. They are boats, not second homes. But at what point did you fail to understand what CRT has said? 

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

But it isn't his choice. See CRT guidance above.

The Covid Police are irrelevant. The folk he may unknowingly infect are highly relevant. 

I agree but in my life I also understand that EVERY member of the public I have ever met, yourself and myself have broken the law, it happens. I actualy know why he was traveling and he is a liveaboard from this canal and the reason he is moving I would be moving too but I am not saying on an open forum why that is. A friend told me whilst I was just out walking the mutt.

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It isn't. They are boats, not second homes. But at what point did you fail to understand what CRT has said? 

Does being rude get you far in the real world? Or do you just behave like that on a forum because you're hidden behind a computer?

Members of the public are allowed to kayak. The virus is not only attracted to boats within a certain size bracket. I assume you failed to understand this?

Preventing access to someone's property certainly is unlawful dependant on circumstances. The government has not ordered the closure of marinas. 

So, what we have is a post seemingly inviting adverse comments which, on the basis of a "fat-bloke-down-the-pub" information source, were bound to be inappropriate. Do you compile crossword clues, by any chance, or do you have some other motive for misdirecting your readers?  

CaRT's policy has shifted in line with gov updates and been communicated quite well. They now have no restrictions on visiting leisure boats on their waters (in England), marinas may.

Edited by BilgePump
added the England bit
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

Does being rude get you far in the real world? Or do you just behave like that on a forum because you're hidden behind a computer?

Members of the public are allowed to kayak. The virus is not only attracted to boats within a certain size bracket. I assume you failed to understand this?

Preventing access to someone's property certainly is unlawful dependant on circumstances. The government has not ordered the closure of marinas. 

Not rude, just setting out facts, which is something the government has for months been unwilling or unable to do. No offence was intended.

The reason for your juxtaposition of kayaks and marinas is not immediately apparent to me, but then I do not have a vivid imagination. Are you perhaps one of those who will flout the guidance given for the protection of the public in general, just because you have your rights? Please tell me you are not, because we have quite enough Trumpian nonsense spouted on here already, thank you. 

4 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

CaRT's policy has shifted in line with gov updates and been communicated quite well. They now have no restrictions on visiting leisure boats on their waters (in England), marinas may.

Indeed (well, as from tomorrow, actually). But still no cruising: that is explicit.

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Not rude, just setting out facts, which is something the government has for months been unwilling or unable to do. No offence was intended.

The reason for your juxtaposition of kayaks and marinas is not immediately apparent to me, but then I do not have a vivid imagination. Are you perhaps one of those who will flout the guidance given for the protection of the public in general, just because you have your rights? Please tell me you are not, because we have quite enough Trumpian nonsense spouted on here already, thank you. 

Then perhaps learn to moderate how you come across. You were rude. You are still being rude

A kayak is a boat. Perhaps I can draw a picture for you if that would help? Genuine offer. 

I have a right to access my property, yes, when there is no law to prevent me from doing so. As does everyone else. If my boat is damaged as a result of my not being able to check on it, if I am made homeless because I am not able to move onto my boat, I can guarantee the government will not help me, because the marina did not have to close. I have every sympathy with marinas who are communicating with their clientele and attempting to accommodate them safely them visiting their property. Quite why you are so affronted by this is beyond me. You are free to not go to the marina. There, hopefully that makes you happier. 

Edited by dogsarelandseals
  • Greenie 1

Just had an email from Calcutt Marina to say that the marina is open to visit boats from tomorrow.  They seem to have put a lot of thought into this with site signage, and what sounds a well thought out way of the office dealing with things like the sale of electricity cards.   Not going to rush there tomorrow though.

• Greenie 1

It's getting on for"high season". It's not unusual to have more than one boat's crew at the lockside, boats held on the centre line by persons standing on the towpath waiting for the lock. Dozens of hands on lock beams and handrails every hour. Gongoozlers you are distancing from until you leave the paddle gear then you aren't. Bollards used by a constant flow of people. As soon as navigation is permitted there will be a lot of it, so I would say it would be a socially irresponsible thing to do to interact with any of the infrastructure at all except where essential, ie water or pumpout.

• Greenie 3

23 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

Then perhaps learn to moderate how you come across. You were rude. You are still being rude

A kayak is a boat. Perhaps I can draw a picture for you if that would help? Genuine offer. 

I have a right to access my property, yes, when there is no law to prevent me from doing so. As does everyone else. If my boat is damaged as a result of my not being able to check on it, if I am made homeless because I am not able to move onto my boat, I can guarantee the government will not help me, because the marina did not have to close. I have every sympathy with marinas who are communicating with their clientele and attempting to accommodate them safely them visiting their property. Quite why you are so affronted by this is beyond me. You are free to not go to the marina. There, hopefully that makes you happier. 

As I said before, I am pointing out facts. I am not hiding behind a computer screen, I am not affronted, and I am perfectly willing to explain myself where necessary. I do not need accusations of rudeness on account of someone's misinterpretation of tone, even if that same someone is sensitive to my using her own words back at her.

I would remind you that you were the one who differentiated between "boats" and "kayaks", so I am now unclear what your post no.29 was alluding to in the first place. A kayak is a boat, but a canal boat (the usual sort kept in a marina) is not a kayak. Your later reference to a boat as a home confirms it (unless you live on a kayak, of course). 

Perhaps a judicious cervical telescoping is called for.

28 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

You really are coming across as an angry person, maybe You need to reassess how you are dealing with not being able to use your boat. Mine is 250 miles from where I live so can't even do a day visit after Wednesday, plus it was booked for a repaint 2 weeks ago, am I getting angry with those that are stopping me going?

• Greenie 1

I don't know what all the fuss is about, wanting to go cruising all the time. Very likely many folk wouldn't want to go cruising at all in normal times anyway, when there wasn't this virus threat, proved by the ammount of folk ''continuous snorers'' being hassled by CART officers to keep moving on.

While static there are so many nice little things to do. You already have boat maintenance to do like keep mucking about with batteries. Apart from that lots of nice little hobby things to do, wicker bottom chair repairing, collecting elastic bands discarded by postmen and making things with them like matchstick guns, nodding donkeys and for attaching to face masks to hold em on. Games to play like musical chairs, blind mans buff, postmans knock, Ludo, snakes and ladders, Draughts, Solitaire, Unhappy families, and of course there's  Meccano with which you won't want the epidemic to ever come to and end.

There's excercise for which there's no need to leave the boat at all really. Practice keep hoiking in and out the gas bottles in their locker, ditto your batteries, practice keep going down the weed box to check the prop, practice keep sweeping the chimney. Leg excercise can be done by spending a few hours a day by keep stepping up and down on the front door step-box or running on the spot. And of course there's the continual business of washing hands for 20 seconds, making tea, going to the bog cooking, eating, drinking, there's spring cleaning to do to. After you've done all that you might have time to read a sentence in a nice book, or waste time coming on ere. :closedeyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I've had an email from our marina this afternoon saying they are following government guidelines and as boats are second homes the marina is still closed to everyone as you shouldn't be visiting second homes.

They state as they have no residential moorings all boats are second homes so I wonder what those who unofficially live in the marina are currently doing.

Thats poor and isn't in sync with advice lots of us have been getting from our marinas where you can visit from Wed but please don't share facilities with live-aboards and don't stay overnight - name and shame - where is your marina??

6 minutes ago, Loddon said:

You really are coming across as an angry person, maybe You need to reassess how you are dealing with not being able to use your boat. Mine is 250 miles from where I live so can't even do a day visit after Wednesday, plus it was booked for a repaint 2 weeks ago, am I getting angry with those that are stopping me going?

You are coming across as an ignorant person. I, and I am not alone, will soon be homeless if I am not able to access my boat soon. Slightly different story to your repaint. 

1 minute ago, dogsarelandseals said:

You are coming across as an ignorant person. I, and I am not alone, will soon be homeless if I am not able to access my boat soon. Slightly different story to your repaint. 

Surely that would come under essential travel.

10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

As I said before, I am pointing out facts. I am not hiding behind a computer screen, I am not affronted, and I am perfectly willing to explain myself where necessary. I do not need accusations of rudeness on account of someone's misinterpretation of tone, even if that same someone is sensitive to my using her own words back at her.

I would remind you that you were the one who differentiated between "boats" and "kayaks", so I am now unclear what your post no.29 was alluding to in the first place. A kayak is a boat, but a canal boat (the usual sort kept in a marina) is not a kayak. Your later reference to a boat as a home confirms it (unless you live on a kayak, of course). 

Perhaps a judicious cervical telescoping is called for.

Reported.