Bullying by locals

Timx

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't wait to see if its going to be  run I just assume that it will be ?

Me too. Got caught out a couple of years ago though, passed three boats with gennies, moored next to what looked like a nice quiet one, lots of solar, and the guy gets out, sits on the roof and starts playing a banjo.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Me too. Got caught out a couple of years ago though, passed three boats with gennies, moored next to what looked like a nice quiet one, lots of solar, and the guy gets out, sits on the roof and starts playing a banjo.

Could have been a trombone 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Could have been a trombone 

When I started learning the thing, I made sure I was moored up alone in the middle of nowhere before I practiced. Next morning, when I found someone had sneaked in next to me (normal nesting instinct,  a mile of mooreable and deserted bank each side of me), I apologised if I'd disturbed him. He said he'd been a bit worried as he thought I might have been having a heart attack...

• Haha 1

The whole "it's the second time they've had an issue so maybe it's them" thing doesn't quite add up to me. If you're on the canals you end up interacting with a lot of people, so a couple of difficult people a year seems like you're doing pretty good. Unless there have been many more incidents?

It could be different tolerance levels for difficult people, perhaps a lot of people on this forum are thick skinned (or the YouTubers are thin skinned, depending on how you want to look at it). Another possibility is that whilst the canals have some great people, they are also a magnet for those that should be getting help and housing but just aren't. Sadly mental health issues and personality disorders can cause adverse social interactions, and I don't mean to insult anyone.

I see quite a few people like this around Oxford on the canals. Recently one claimed we were trespassing on the public towpath along the Agenda21 moorings, he went on about him being in a meeting with the Duke of Lancaster who made the towpath private. The details aren't important, just see this kind of person relatively frequently (but by no means are they the most prominent 'group' of boaters).

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

Recently one claimed we were trespassing on the public towpath along the Agenda21 moorings, he went on about him being in a meeting with the Duke of Lancaster who made the towpath private.

I didn't realise the Queen was involved with canal infrastructure management!

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

1 minute ago, Thomas C King said:

I didn't realise there was a Duke of Lancaster, despite having lived there. 

There's also a reason that the Duke of Lancaster outranks the Duke of York :D

3 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

What else don't I know

That the Queen is the Duke of Normandy too?  For some reason the French don't like this, but many of the Normans do!

• 2 weeks later...

I arrived at these moorings in Hinckley on Christmas Eve thinking I’d stay until day after Boxing Day. First thing that greeted me was 3 piles of dog poo. Moored up then 2 of the boats on the residential moorings started generators, not a problem to me. Then there was the constant barking of a dog. Getting slightly annoyed now. On and on it went until about 8 pm. 
Next morning at dead on 8am (Christmas morning) a generator started. Time to move I think, which I did. 
I have to say I’m not sure where the dog barking came from but none of the generators were from Narrowboat girls boat. 

Edited by Chris John
Typo

2 minutes ago, Chris John said:

I arrived at these moorings in Hinckley on Christmas Eve thinking I’d stay until day after Boxing Day. First thing that greeted me was 3 piles of dog poo. Moored up then 2 of the boats on the residential moorings started generators, not a problem to me. Then there was the constant barking of a dog. Getting slightly annoyed now. On and on it went until about 8 pm. 
Next morning at dead on 8am (Christmas morning) a generator started. Time to move I think, which I did. 
I have to say I’m not sure where the dog barking came from but none of the generators were from Narrowboat girls boat. 

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst your experience doesn't sound particularly pleasant, I can't ee how any of it entails bullying or any breach of CART's rules. The only offence would perhaps be the leaving of dog dirt, though you don't say where it was.

Who's "Narrowboat girl"? Is she one of our members?

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst your experience doesn't sound particularly pleasant, I can't ee how any of it entails bullying or any breach of CART's rules. The only offence would perhaps be the leaving of dog dirt, though you don't say where it was.

SHE is who this thread was all about

43 minutes ago, Athy said:

Welcome to the forum.

I’m not saying it does breach any rules I’m just giving my experience of the mooring where the issue has been ie lots of generators and noise. Personally I’d wouldn’t be starting a generator at 8am on Christmas morning as I have more consideration for others, be it against and rules or not. 
Dog poo was right next to Armco ready to be stepped in. Narrowboat girl is who this thread is (or was) about!

2 hours ago, Chris John said:

I’m not saying it does breach any rules I’m just giving my experience of the mooring where the issue has been ie lots of generators and noise. Personally I’d wouldn’t be starting a generator at 8am on Christmas morning as I have more consideration for others, be it against and rules or not. 
Dog poo was right next to Armco ready to be stepped in. Narrowboat girl is who this thread is (or was) about!

More and more people have more and more electrics on their boats, which means you get more and more generator noise.  In summer it may be moderated a bit by solar, but there's plenty without still.  It's one of the changes that add together to make the waterways less pleasant and more like real life!  And, in fact, the one which is moving me more and more towards packing in boating.

Like many others, I do it because I love the peace and quiet - only, because there are many others, there's less of it.  There again, as I get deafer...

• Greenie 1