Loneliness

Rider1966

Featured Posts

I've found boaters, alongside climbers, to be the most friendly and social community I've encountered. It's not uncommon to find that a complete stranger has gone out of their way to help you (as shown by the gentleman who donated a mooring pin to secure my boat in my absence recently), and it's not hard to start a conversation, share a beer and make friends with your new neighbours when you moor up in a new place. Granted, they may only be your neighbours for a few days or a few weeks - but the process repeats at the next mooring with new faces. It can be very communal - but the other advantage is that if you do want some time alone, there's nothing stopping you mooring in the middle of rural nowhere, away from everyone and everything.

On the flip side, and especially over winter, you do still need to be somewhat comfortable in your own company because you will occasionally be isolated - physically or socially - and you will spend a lot of time by yourself if you're living aboard alone. For me personally, I love that, but it's not for everyone.

Edited by tehmarks
Typo
  • Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep. I agree. Trouble is now so many peeps actualy believe that Twatter and Farcebook are for real. There are thousands of dating agencies sprung up now because peeps dont know how to interact in pubs and such like that we always did. Met both my wives in pubs lol.  I even talk to you sometimes B)

Yeah! I know, but I persevere.

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep. I agree. Trouble is now so many peeps actualy believe that Twatter and Farcebook are for real. There are thousands of dating agencies sprung up now because peeps dont know how to interact in pubs and such like that we always did. Met both my wives in pubs lol.  I even talk to you sometimes B)

Yeah! I know, but I persevere.

28 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

I've found boaters, alongside climbers, to be the most friendly and social community I've encountered. It's not uncommon to find that a complete stranger has gone out of their way to help you (as shown by the gentleman who donated a mooring pin to secure my boat in my absence recently), and it's not hard to start a conversation, share a beer and make friends with your new neighbours when you moor up in a new place. Granted, they may only be your neighbours for a few days or a few weeks - but the process repeats at the next mooring with new faces. It can be very communal - but the other advantage is that if you do want some time alone, there's nothing stopping you mooring in the middle of rural nowhere, away from everyone and everything.

On the flip side, and especially over winter, you do still need to be somewhat comfortable in your own company because you will occasionally be isolated - physically or socially - and you will spend a ot of time by yourself if you're living aboard alone. For me personally, I love that, but it's not for everyone.

Social Climbers

You don't need to worry. You can moor in the middle of nowhere and there will be soon some muppet following along who thinks it's ok to moor right next to you despite there being loads of space. ;)

Seriously. The bottom line is you can move away if you don't like your neighbour and there will be times you have to like your own company as suggested.

Canal boaters are generally pretty good eggs who will rush to help/give you space/share time. The super affluent ponces you tend to see on the Thames with their gin palaces complete with matching fender socks can be the opposite imo.

I learned many times a life lesson. Those with the least often are those that help you most naturally if in need.

Edited by mark99

10 minutes ago, mark99 said:

You don't need to worry. You can moor in the middle of nowhere and there will be soon some muppet following along who thinks it's ok to moor right next to you despite there being loads of space. ;)

Seriously. The bottom line is you can move away if you don't like your neighbour and there will be times you have to like your own company as suggested.

Canal boaters are generally pretty good eggs who will rush to help/give you space/share time. The super affluent ponces you tend to see on the Thames with their gin palaces complete with matching fender socks can be the opposite imo.

I learned many times a life lesson. Those with the least often are those that help you most naturally if in need.

That type of ponce exists all over the cut. You know the type, if someone was drowning in the sea they wouldn't dive in and help. Instead; they would get all angry with the government for not having enough lifeguards on duty, blaming austerity.

14 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Those with the least often are those that help you most naturally if in need.

The Widows' mite (but some might not)

Luke 21

And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all;  for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.”

40 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Would it be considered bad form to taser them if they moor too close?

I'm just trying to 'workshop' some solutions really

Perhaps some sort of spiked ramming device could be fabricated and attached to the bow, as per the Roman triremes. 

Obviously I wouldn't want to come off as antisocial or anything

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Perhaps some sort of spiked ramming device could be fabricated and attached to the bow, as per the Roman triremes. 

Start your engine at a fast tickover and put some really loud music if a boat looks like mooring up. Or better, run out half dressed and shout "I'm so glad you gonna moor here, I really need some company", whilst dribbling profusely, scratching your gonads and beconning them in with great massive arm movements and enthusiasm.

19 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Its dead simple to keep your self in a spot of isolation. Buy a couple of huge framed generaters and stick one on show at the pointy end and one hanging off the arse end. they dont need to work or indeed you need no fuel. I dont moor anywhere near any boat with a poxy gennie and I am not alone.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

run out half dressed and shout "I'm so glad you gonna moor here, I really need some company", whilst dribbling profusely, scratching your gonads and beconning them in with great massive arm movements and enthusiasm.

Ah, so that was you at the top end of the Ashby canal last July?

Marvellous gonads, but an extremely alarming experience

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Its dead simple to keep your self in a spot of isolation. Buy a couple of huge framed generaters and stick one on show at the pointy end and one hanging off the arse end. they dont need to work or indeed you need no fuel. I dont moor anywhere near any boat with a poxy gennie and I am not alone.

Now these are what I call solutions.

I wonder if I could adapt an old Lister ST2 as my 'special' guest generator. Perhaps the exhaust silencer could be removed....

1 minute ago, Tony1 said:

Now these are what I call solutions.

I wonder if I could adapt an old Lister ST2 as my 'special' guest generator. Perhaps the exhaust silencer could be removed....

:D Ideal

I must admit, what with firing up my 1000 watt speaker,  running theatrically from the stern clad in my most unpleasant underwear (or perhaps an oily old tracksuit and peaked cap), hastily firing up my unsilenced 'guest' generator (which I will obviously place on the towpath ten yards ahead of the boat) at the first sign of an approaching boat, and probably erecting some form of portable picket fence as a temporary deterrent (I feel sure its entirely practicable).... 

I fear that by sunset, I may be too exhausted to enjoy the fruits of my hard-won peace and isolation.

I may even consider brandishing a large crucifix at my would-be intruders, whilst chanting an exorcism. 

I feel Charlton Heston could scarcely have worked any harder to repel those hordes of infected zombie people from his house in that old film...

Edited by Tony1
why not?
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Start your engine at a fast tickover and put some really loud music if a boat looks like mooring up. Or better, run out half dressed and shout "I'm so glad you gonna moor here, I really need some company", whilst dribbling profusely, scratching your gonads and beconning them in with great massive arm movements and enthusiasm.

Ah that explains the bizarre behaviour reported on the K & A.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

There are thousands of dating agencies sprung up now because peeps dont know how to interact in pubs and such like

I think I saw an advert on the internet for one of them. Judging by its name it must have been a rather down-market one: Screwfix.

On 09/04/2020 at 17:58, mrsmelly said:

You will find that the boating community in general are far friendlier than peeps who keep themselve to themselves in houses. You meet people as you travel the system. I have friends and aquaintances living on nearly every canal in the UK I have built up over the years ?

Yes, 'cos you are probably outgoing and friendly, and not single.

I am non of the above, but am rarely lonely per se.  I love being out in the peace and quiet, not for me constant police / ambulance sirens, or boorish behaviours. If you feel it might be a problem, maybe try a long distance walk and see how you cope, I think it is easier to feel isolated in an urban environment.

I found a smart little notice the other day "mooring reserved", 

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I met my first wife PLAYING BRIDGE, after an evening in the pub.

That was 46 years ago and I'm still married to her.

There must have been some high class pubs about 46 years ago. I only ever encountered crib.