Jump to content

Clean and re-use a spin on oil filter?


Featured Posts

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Some people only change the filter on every other service anyway, especially if they are changing oil a bit more frequently than specified, but as RLKP said, cleaning it is a risk and likely won't achieve much anyway.

I reckon its a much lower risk than using both sides of the toilet paper ?

 

....................Dave

You can also turn your underpants inside out and get another week out of them  !!!  ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might be lucky and find an agricultural merchants open, they will probably stock filers for Kubota diggers, mowers and mini tractors, apart from that just re use the old filter without cleaning it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dmr said:

That could be a tiny bit of dyslexia, I have big trouble with b and m whenever they occur in the same word.

 

..............Dave

I have trouble wth B&M when they have run out of bog rolls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jim Batty said:

 

 

Is this daft, or a good idea? Anybody else done this?

Its daft. It would be better to change the filter and not the oil 

 

What's  the rush - you are not travelling  anywhere ...........are you ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Its daft. It would be better to change the filter and not the oil 

 

What's  the rush - you are not travelling  anywhere ...........are you ?

 

no, but they might want to charge their batteries

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

You can also turn your underpants inside out and get another week out of them  !!!  ?

And wear them back-to-front and get another week ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its very unlikely that an engine that is regularly serviced at the near correct intervals would have completely "filled up" its oil filter, reuse it, it will be fine.

Bear in mind that some of the servicing swapping of parts is to insure the manufacturer against unexpected failure and also to make a profit for him supplying spares.

I've come across engines that have never had the oil filter changed in their lives. They run fine as the filter bypass valve opens when the filter is totally blocked and the oil continues to lubricate far longer than the service instructions would have you believe.

I once had an early PRM gearbox that must have been 40+years old, the boat was at the time, and the oil and filter had never been changed, the filter still had the spray paint on and the sump plug was unmarked, with the same paint on it! Had trouble finding a filter for it. When we drained the oil it was like coal tar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Bear in mind that some of the servicing swapping of parts is to insure the manufacturer against unexpected failure

It is also planned based on the worst conditions the engine is going to experience. For engines that are in boats, the intervals will be based on what the industrial engine would have done

 

And boat engines don't run flat out for 300 hours as generators, or thrash about on building sites, or swallow lots of dust and debris on farms

 

Boat engines have a pretty cushy life

 

Richard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

You often find them on industrials, rarely on marine ones

 

Are you really having trouble finding the filters?

 

Richard

Only 'cos I'm lazy - my local motor factor who were usually most helpful have changed hands and only want to sell what they have in stock (disgraceful !!) I have a Mann  W712 whic is alleged to be an equivalent and given that UK Power Notworks are now ultra reliable the poor old genny doesn't get used. Given that my usage is much less than marine spec: perhaps I don't need one.

 

Do you have any suggestions if I change my mind / or my overhead cables fail again (as they did in The Great Storm) ?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

It is also planned based on the worst conditions the engine is going to experience. For engines that are in boats, the intervals will be based on what the industrial engine would have done

 

And boat engines don't run flat out for 300 hours as generators, or thrash about on building sites, or swallow lots of dust and debris on farms

 

Boat engines have a pretty cushy life

 

Richard

Only think I would say about that is that the oil shoudl get to above 100c regularly to drive off any condensation and if this is not done the oil emulsifies and turns into grease (as per P4-107 with oil cooler in inland use - don't ask). For battery charging and canal cruising the oil may well not get that how. This has no bearing on the oil filter but may well  have implications for oil change intervals on lightly loaded short run time inland engines.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Only think I would say about that is that the oil shoudl get to above 100c regularly to drive off any condensation and if this is not done the oil emulsifies and turns into grease (as per P4-107 with oil cooler in inland use - don't ask). For battery charging and canal cruising the oil may well not get that how. This has no bearing on the oil filter but may well  have implications for oil change intervals on lightly loaded short run time inland engines.

The CVH engines found in FWD Ford Mk3 Escorts and Orions were really bad for the oil running too cool and badly emulsifying the oil with condensation and sludging the internals up. The large wide transverse sumps directly in the cool airstream when the cars were underway. And much much worse if the cars only did short runs like shopping and school runs, the oil never got much hotter than warm. Shame because otherwise they were a good reliable engine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.