COVID-19: An update from the Canal & River Trust

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

23 March 2020

COVID-19: AN UPDATE FROM THE CANAL & RIVER TRUST

Following our message from last week, our response to this unprecedented crisis continues to evolve.  Our priority is to support the national effort to keep people safe and fighting the pandemic, strictly following the Government’s advice.

Our 2,000-mile network of canals, towpaths, and river navigations remain open, but we strongly encourage people to stay local and observe social distancing measures.  As our waterways run through towns and cities across the country, they bring the countryside into urban areas, providing the opportunity to get outdoors and connect with nature without travelling far from home.

So until advice changes, you may continue to use your local towpath to exercise and get some fresh air, but please observe the latest Government guidance on social distancing – do not congregate, keep moving, allow space for others to pass, and be mindful of moored boats where people will often be self-isolating.

‘Virtual wellbeing’: For the many people who are self-isolating, or who do not live close to a canal or river, you can continue to experience the calm and beauty of the waterways from the comfort of your own home by accessing our website here.

Ends

Fran Read

National press officer

I work Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays

M  07796 610 427

E  fran.read@canalrivertrustorg.uk

I wonder whether C&RT propose to post advisory notices in key locations. Apparently the towpath either side of Bradford on Avon on the K&A was teeming with hoards of people at the weekend, with most showing no regard for Government advice to maintain distance between themselves and other walkers or moored boats.

Mind you it was almost as bad walking around the usually very quiet lanes behind our Village, which is fine, but I wish they would pass at a safe distance, and not almost touch me as they pass in their three or four abreast groups. Fortunately the fields have dried up a lot over the past few days, so the footpaths are now less muddy, and you can usually take diversionay action in a field.

Edited by David Schweizer

If I read that correctly it is aimed at walkers and not boaters. Will there be a statement about boating, I wonder.  From other threads boaters are concerned about what effect the virus will have on their mooring and boating in the next few months.

haggis

Edited by haggis

Lapworth was heaving with people out walking yesterday too.

I can understand why, lovely weather, the prospect of a lockdown by next weekend.

I can't help thinking nature is taking the piss.

Changing the subject, slightly............

Bumped into a minor celeb (almost literally, she didn't seem to understand how far 2m is) in the pharmacy this morning.

How nice of her to visit her Isle of Wight holiday home

BRINGING HER LONDON CONTAGION WITH HER

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Latest from "our" marina:

Dear Ray

this e-mail is going out to all Castle Marinas customers

Please see below the latest advice from the government regarding non-essential travel.

Based on this latest information, Castle Marinas are advising all leisure use customers not to travel to their boats. Anyone currently staying in the Marina with a primary residence away from their boat should return home.  The safety of our customers and our staff is our primary concern.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-essential-travel-guidance

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I wonder whether C&RT propose to post advisory notices in key locations. Apparently the towpath either side of Bradford on Avon on the K&A was teeming with hoards of people at the weekend, with most showing no regard for Government advice to maintain distance between themselves and other walkers or moored boats.

Mind you it was almost as bad walking around the usually very quiet lanes behind our Village, which is fine, but I wish they would pass at a safe distance, and not almost touch me as they pass in their three or four abreast groups. Fortunately the fields have dried up a lot over the past few days, so the footpaths are now less muddy, and you can usually take diversionay action in a field.

Just an Update. I went out for my normal walk this morning, using a mixture of single track lanes and field footpaths, and it was much quieter than normal. Just a few other unacompanied walkers, three mountain bikes, one horse., and two cars. So it would seem that Sunday, being the first sunny day for months was a blip, and people are now paying more attention to the Government's advice about Social Distancing.

5 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Lapworth was heaving with people out walking yesterday too.

I can understand why, lovely weather, the prospect of a lockdown by next weekend.

I can't help thinking nature is taking the piss.

Changing the subject, slightly............

Bumped into a minor celeb (almost literally, she didn't seem to understand how far 2m is) in the pharmacy this morning.

How nice of her to visit her Isle of Wight holiday home

BRINGING HER LONDON CONTAGION WITH HER

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Unfortunately, I dont think enough people know how far 2m is. I was o my way for a walk with the dog when my boat neighbour approached me this afternoon for a chat. I kept moving a bit away from him, and he kept moving back to being a bit too close. He actually said that he didnt think that this social distancing would do any good. I said, (in the nicest way), that, if I have it and I coughed and gave it to him, he would give it to his other half, she would give it to some people at the bus stop and on the bus, and so on...... if he had it, coughed, and gave it to me, I would give it my wife, and to some who came close to me when shopping, or who used my trolley after me, and so on.

I could guess that many people feel like he did, and just aren't getting the message of how serious this is, and that one individual action gets multiplied exponentially. There will also be others who dont give a stuff :( 

Further release as of 09:20 24/03/2020

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus and boating update 

Following the most recent announcement from the Prime Minister regarding the UK’s response to the coronavirus crisis, we are asking leisure boaters to stop all non-essential travel. As a result, and to help those who live-aboard (along with those who would need to travel to their boat in order to move it) we are suspending the requirement to move every 14 days. The suspension will be kept under review in line with revised government guidance, applying initially until 14 April.

We ask everyone to be considerate and make sure at least a minimal amount of essential movement is maintained to keep vital boater facilities and services accessible to those that need them. We will continue to maintain boater facilities and pump out cards are available from our online shop. (We will be urgently reviewing the implications for face-to-face sale of pump out cards and facilities keys from our public offices). 

Please click here for the latest updates to our Frequently Asked Questions and up to date advice on where to get support.

Colleagues whose roles are critical to the safe management of the waterways, for example those managing water levels, those carrying out statutory inspections of canal structures, ensuring essential facilities for boaters are available etc will continue their day to day work. 

We will be doing whatever we can to support our customers and protect the waterways so we can return to enjoying them fully when the crisis is over. We will keep the situation under active review and update you in line with changing circumstances and guidance.

Thank you for your patience and forbearance and please stay safe during these unprecedented times.

Richard Parry
Chief Executive
Canal & River Trust

Edited by Ray T

20 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Unfortunately, I dont think enough people know how far 2m is.

I agree - if the govt. said "six feet" (O.K., not an exact equivalent but close) then more people would understand, as everyone knows what a six-foot tall person looks like, but how many can envisage a 2-metre tall person?

3 hours ago, NB Tranquillity 1 said:

...or if you can reach them in two paces, you're too close.

Family member has had one of the 1.5 lmillion letters / emails to stay inside.

It states that there should be 3 steps between her and any other residents of the same property. And that's inside!

Edited by Paul Gwilliams
Missing word
  • Greenie 1

We are getting water tomorrow and then moving somewhere quieter while it seems that C&RT are neither going to close towpaths or lock locks. Getting very anxious about the laissez faire attitude of most of the passers by here, most of whom don't seem to think that the 2m rule applies to them. TBH, most towpaths aren't wide enough to allow for this anyway, however, where we are it just about is but doesn't make any difference to the behaviour of most. This makes even putting the dogs out a nightmare to keep us safe. Please C&RT, either close the towpaths as other national parks authorities have or at least publicize on the news that you are requesting people not to walk/cycle past moored boats. Life has become hard enough without this added problem of trying to keep safe with uncaring passers by.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, wandering snail said:

We are getting water tomorrow and then moving somewhere quieter while it seems that C&RT are neither going to close towpaths or lock locks. Getting very anxious about the laissez faire attitude of most of the passers by here, most of whom don't seem to think that the 2m rule applies to them. TBH, most towpaths aren't wide enough to allow for this anyway, however, where we are it just about is but doesn't make any difference to the behaviour of most. This makes even putting the dogs out a nightmare to keep us safe. Please C&RT, either close the towpaths as other national parks authorities have or at least publicize on the news that you are requesting people not to walk/cycle past moored boats. Life has become hard enough without this added problem of trying to keep safe with uncaring passers by.

Update from Damian at C&RT - this problem with towpath users is being discussed at C&RT tomorrow. Apparently we have not been the only ones to have emailed about it. Hope they do something better than giving us a sign to print off about keeping your distance, which by the time they've come close enough to read it on the boat.... no more needs to be said!

• Greenie 1

Those who are on social media, perhaps we could 'post' this leaflet to our followers, asking them to re-tweet etc. Let's try and get this message out there.

I printed off two leaflets for a window on each side of the boat, I'm now thinking 'Where can I get two stakes to knock in the ground both before and aft the boat to pin a leaflet too....' ?

image.png.660f680e0c1520814ee4a332b7af9465.png

13 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I printed off two leaflets for a window on each side of the boat, I'm now thinking 'Where can I get two stakes to knock in the ground both before and aft the boat to pin a leaflet

Something like a spare mooring stake, perhaps?

I dont seem to be getting anything from CRT, I'm a bit in the dark, seems like I need to get the TV up and running, I have no idea if it works without an aerial, I cut off the end bits when someone wanted the boat antenna, then decided against. Its a smart TV, no manual [what's new]

... and why is there no masks/hand gel in the shops, I am needing a mask for sanding, I have plenty of hand sanitiser from first aid kit.

UPDATE

I've tuned to BBC R4 better than net radio with my laptop which is overdue a service, need to find out if repair shop is open.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I dont seem to be getting anything from CRT, I'm a bit in the dark, seems like I need to get the TV up and running, I have no idea if it works without an aerial, I cut off the end bits when someone wanted the boat antenna

You can tune into Radio/TV online? Personally I don't watch TV news much these days, too many presenters with giant sized egos are putting their own slant on topics. Selected radio stations is our 'go too'.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Something like a spare mooring stake, perhaps?

Thanks Mike... I'll be having a 'ferret'