House style for posts

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Gayzingalone said:

Is it possible for someone from admin to move my post to my postings as I seem to have hijacked someone else's post (Sorry!)

You are welcome to hijack my post anytime Neil, its a relief from being castigated for daring to suggest an individual post using a bit of colour and imagination.

Some touchy souls on here are  there not?

They will object to your boat name typeface and daring to corrupt their sensibilities.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are welcome to hijack my post anytime Neil, its a relief from being castigated for daring to suggest an individual post using a bit of colour and imagination.

Some touchy souls on here are  there not?

They will object to your boat name typeface and daring to corrupt their sensibilities.

Some fonts dont display well on all devices. You have to remember people access the internet on, pc's, tablets, phones.

The advantage of the current font is that it displays clearly on all devices. I dont think prople are being 'touchy' when pointing out the disadvantages.

?

I too think the forum would quickly turn into a difficult-to-read visual mess if everyone adopted their favourite font, colour, size etc.

Once in a while we get a poster who does this manually to every post they make. It really jarrs the eye when reading a thread.

One's eye actually tends to skip over the posts in a different font/colour, just as one skips over the adverts (on a forum that has them).

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I don't get irony, sorry its my mild autism. but feel free to elucidate please. Pathos?

An example of irony would be when a poster accuses other posters of a trait they are displaying themselves, e.g. 'touchiness'.

Don't take it to heart, touchiness is mandatory on here!!

:hug:

So now for asking a question I am "touchy"?

Sad people on this forum but I will bow to the majority and leave you to it.

Sorry to spoil your game of bully the new poster, I was warned of this, so I will not play any further.

TD'

35 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Sorry to spoil your game of bully the new poster, I was warned of this, so I will not play any further.

TD'

No, you are touchy for getting upset because people said something you didn’t want to hear, ie that it wasn’t good for other people if you started to use some weird font. 
Anyway, Bye bye, you are not suited to internet interactions with other people so it’s for the best. Have a great life. Or you could try a closed Facebook group where everyone agrees with everyone and any dissenting voice is exterminated. All a bit “Stepford wives” to me though.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

TD'

Sorry but as one of the posters who didn't think what you were proposing was a good idea that post cannot go without a response.

Nothing thus far posted in this thread constitutes 'bullying'. A few people have outlined different reasons why messing about with the font doesn't work very well. Not even Nicknorman's comment could be construed as 'bullying'.

If you had been mocked and ridiculed regarding your autism, that would be bullying, what has been posted (so far), definitely does not.

We do seem to get an increasing number of people who can’t abide anybody disagreeing with them even when put politely. It does make you wonder how they manage to survive real life. Perhaps there should be an item in the forum Ts & Cs that by joining, you accept that some people might disagree with your opinion/ideas. What a state we have got ourselves into!

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I find the text too often be on the small size for my impaired vision. I am sure that this applies to others also.

That is far and away the best reason to not let users modify the style at all, never mind by default.

If you zoom this post, you will be able to read the text from across the room.

But not if I do this to it first.

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We do seem to get an increasing number of people who can’t abide anybody disagreeing with them even when put politely. It does make you wonder how they manage to survive real life. Perhaps there should be an item in the forum Ts & Cs that by joining, you accept that some people might disagree with your opinion/ideas. What a state we have got ourselves into!

There is a problem with that. The more Ts and Cs there are, the less likely people are to actually read them. In fact when I join (any) forum I never read them as no matter how many there are, they always say all the same sort of predictable thing. 

Most forum posting rules are redundant though, and they can all be summarised into one rule: "Don't be a dick". 

Curiously though, I've never seen a forum with that as it's solitary posting rule.

It will take more than that to upset me fellas.

Disagreement is fine, even helpful which is why I asked in the first place.

We seem to get off on the wrong foot with every post so forget it, I will do my own thing as I have done all my long life.

If any member wants to be sociable, please feel free. Any one wanting sound boating and engineering advice without attitude I will be here and willing to help.

I like a bit of colour in my life, If you want a grey existence then I feel sorry for you.

21 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We do seem to get an increasing number of people who can’t abide anybody disagreeing with them even when put politely.

We do seem to get an increasing number of accounts who can’t abide anybody disagreeing with them even when put politely.

I'm not sure they are always different people.

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We do seem to get an increasing number of accounts who can’t abide anybody disagreeing with them even when put politely.

I'm not sure they are always different people.

I was thinking along the same lines.

57 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

We seem to get off on the wrong foot with every post so forget it, I will do my own thing as I have done all my long life.

If any member wants to be sociable, please feel free. Any one wanting sound boating and engineering advice without attitude I will be here and willing to help.

I like a bit of colour in my life, If you want a grey existence then I feel sorry for you.

Corrected that for you Tracy....

:giggles::giggles::giggles:

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Jolly good, in that case welcome to the forum!

The problem with giant letters is that most of us read this on tablets or phones, and it's quite nice to see several posts without having to scroll all the time. Yours nearly filled my screen by itself, which means in a discussion you lose all context. Colour etc is good in life, but we use it on here specifically to highlight bits of a post we're commenting on, so bunging big chunks in colour for the fun of it is just irritating, I'm afraid.

There's historic reasons for most of it too - in old days, using big fonts or too many caps was regarded as shouting and it's a bit impolite. 

Generally, when joining a working forum it's best to tread a bit carefully as folk can get upset if a newcomer tries to "improve" it without trying to understand why we like it the way it is.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am sure that most people are happy to be sociable. You may have got on the wrong foot by the responses you have got but they are really trying to answering your own questions. I see that you are now offering sound boating and engineering advice, and that is fine but it would certainly help if you could outline what your specific boating experience is. You have made brif mention of qualifications in your signature but no hint about the boating relevance, and it might be interesting to know what your boating background is.

Cheers

Howard

39 minutes ago, howardang said:

I You have made brif mention of qualifications in your signature but no hint about the boating relevance, and it might be interesting to know what your boating background is.

Cheers

Howard

There are loads of folks on here with qualifications and experience.

I have even disagreed with umbrella statements, made by some of them!

I was able to identify the real BOAT experts after a few months, including Tony [I understand 86% of his techy stuff], who has vast knowledge, superb communication skills and a great website.

Nicknormal is a great guy, and helped me, personally. His expertise is way above my level, but there are a few [geeks?] on here who defer to his expertise. 

The above are only two, I could name others, they know who they are.

Edited by LadyG