House style for posts

Featured Posts

I would find it a shame if Tracy has taken umbrage and decided not to continue as a member, but on the other hand for a newish member to offer boating advice on a forum like this I do think it would be informative to

know what the boating experience is so I can make a judgement as to what credence it has to any issue I may have. I do wonder, however, why it is necessary to mention formal qualifications on what is, after all, a recreational boating forum. Like many things in life, a varied boating background goes a long way to reassuring people that the advice is relevant and useful rather than waffle.

Howard

• Greenie 2

Hmmm. Someone who apparently has the skills to hold a fellowship of two of the three major engineering institutions of this country quibbling about font size and colour and needing an ironic statement explaining to them.

I’m with @TheBiscuits on this.

And for @Alan de Enfield‘s benefit that kind of professional status would mean a lot in the real world should someone actually hold it. Means not a jot on boating matters though. The level of understanding behind a posters technical arguments becomes self evident pretty quickly.

JP

26 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

And for @Alan de Enfield‘s benefit that kind of professional status would mean a lot in the real world should someone actually hold it. Means not a jot on boating matters though. The level of understanding behind a posters technical arguments becomes self evident pretty quickly.

Apologies if it was not clear - I was referring to the 'real world' of boating.

I would rather have someone do a job who knows how to do it rather than one who has 'read about it', or even written a thesis on it.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

stranger-in-you.regular.png.14b71b8f781b60e26d9003374133cd35.png

What's that penultimate word? It looked at first like "perverts". Sorry Guv, we don't do those here.

On a serious note, Tracy I hope you see that these different sizes and typefaces do jar somewhat.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Just be aware that those reading the forum on a phone don't see members' signatures at all.

Not sure this is just with phones, as I am reading this on a laptop and don't see any signatures.   Either no-one on this threead has one, or I have somehow set something to not display them.

9 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Not sure this is just with phones, as I am reading this on a laptop and don't see any signatures.   Either no-one on this threead has one, or I have somehow set something to not display them.

Bottom right of each post there is an X 

I have found (by accident!) you can disable that persons signature or all signatures from there.

Edit to add, just realised if you have signatures turned off you wont see the X.

You have to re enable them in your account settings then signature.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

The six posts immediately above yours all have signatures, so you may have turned them off at some point.

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

It depends how wide the viewable window is - on Windows 10 (on my PC) it has signatures - reduced to 1/2 screen it doesn't

3 hours ago, howardang said:

Why? I am asking a legitimate and relevant question.

Howard

I did not quote you Howard, OP  has issues, she is the only one who wants a change, and has flounced off, thread is going down and down. 

PS It is very irritating to mess about with fonts etcetera.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I did not quote you Howard, OP  has issues, she is the only one who wants a change, and has flounced off, thread is going down and down. 

PS It is very irritating to mess about with fonts etcetera.

I have a strong suspicion that the OP has not flounced, but has in fact been banned for the second time in about a month.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

14 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have a strong suspicion that the OP has not flounced, but has in fact been banned for the second time in about a month.

JP

Shock horror !

Who would do such a dreadful thing, to such a needy person, I know it's not Athy, Buccaneer using his cutlass perhaps?

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Shock horror !

Who would do such a dreadful thing, to such a needy person, I know it's not Athy, Buccaneer using his cutlass perhaps?

No idea and I’m not bothered. I think they’ve probably applied the forum rules and not got personally drawn into things which is how it should be.

It seemed to me it was a false persona from the start. While the forum can be rude to new members part of the reason is that people signing up to be mischievous is a reasonably regular occurrence. Do you not think this thread was calculated as being likely to push a few buttons with a large demographic of the forum?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

15 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

No idea and I’m not bothered. I think they’ve probably applied the forum rules and not got personally drawn into things which is how it should be.

It seemed to me it was a false persona from the start. While the forum can be rude to new members part of the reason is that people signing up to be mischievous is a reasonably regular occurrence. Do you not think this thread was calculated as being likely to push a few buttons with a large demographic of the forum?

JP

Yes.

Replies were uber restrained, sorry, I should have put in an emoji .... one for irony, perhaps ?

jo

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

JP

It appears that the OP was either not using her given name, or she was telling Porkies.

The Institute of Mech Eng does not show any member, let alone a 'Fellow', by the name of Tracy D'Arth

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

? ? ⓒÃ?t ๒乇lie?乇 үό? ⓉhƗⓝⓀ тħⓐ?

Que?

I had a look over on TB yesterday, but couldn't see any sock puppetry,

maybe socks are out of fashion.

Edited by LadyG