Boat going boating on its own on the Trent...

frangar

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Just been along to look.  The last thread started 17/1/20 "Teacher smacked my legs".    Last post 20/1/20

Guilty! ???? It's probably the best place to post on the whimsy of modding. 

I'll consult with you next time. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Just been along to look.  The last thread started 17/1/20 "Teacher smacked my legs".    Last post 20/1/20

I've already looked and came to the conclusion that compared to the volume of traffic the CWDF sub sec has very little and not all the comments are in anyway aimed at CWDF, you have to remember that for those who are banned it's a way of keeping upto date 

It is not in anyway a form of support, we have stood on our own 2 feet for the last 4 years (is that right?)

I really can't see why it bothers you so much, why not regard it as an accolade?

Phil

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Green Goddess or Baby Grand?

Liverpool tram 246.jpg

Liverpool tram 293.jpg

Your top pic is a Green Goddess and is longer and on two 4 wheel bogies. This one is a Baby Grand, 4 wheelers and shorter. The motor buses were Daimler's.

23 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

I've already looked and came to the conclusion that compared to the volume of traffic the CWDF sub sec has very little and not all the comments are in anyway aimed at CWDF, you have to remember that for those who are banned it's a way of keeping upto date 

It is not in anyway a form of support, we have stood on our own 2 feet for the last 4 years (is that right?)

I really can't see why it bothers you so much, why not regard it as an accolade?

Phil

I can't say it bothers me.  I also can't say "teacher smacked my legs" seems much of an accolade.    With regard to keeping up to date surely the forum is there to keep people up to date with what is happening in the boating world.

Do you know of any other forum/board etc. that feels the need to have a special section for discussing another forum?   

I am genuinely trying to understand why one forum, out of all the ones I have visited, feels such a need 4 years after the breakaway let alone at the time of the break.

11 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Sad really that Frangar should endeavour to put down someone who has been a member since 2009, has a greater post count, has a greater community reputation,  and a greater days won count.

Phil

Small wonder I don't visit very often now

I didn’t know the forum was a willy waving contest....still if it keeps you amused....

• Unimpressed 1

8 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

ooooo000000ooooo

More tramcars!

?

As depicted the four wheel Baby Grand had a very short wheelbase and pitched up and down on the track like bucking Bronco, on uneven track like along the Smithdown rd you had to hang on. I saw folk seasick on those trams, they were great. The Green Goddesses on bogies were much smoother of course. :)

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I can't say it bothers me.  I also can't say "teacher smacked my legs" seems much of an accolade.    With regard to keeping up to date surely the forum is there to keep people up to date with what is happening in the boating world.

Do you know of any other forum/board etc. that feels the need to have a special section for discussing another forum?   

I am genuinely trying to understand why one forum, out of all the ones I have visited, feels such a need 4 years after the breakaway let alone at the time of the break.

We post what we want, where we want when we want. No OCD "mods please move this to another section it's upsetting me" 

The section is probably still there because it's always been there, for the reasons stated already, and because of CBA attitude will remain there until the forum dies a death. 

This is all getting a bit convoluted, a forum discussing another forum, objecting to discussion of a forum by another forum.... 

8 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

This is all getting a bit convoluted, a forum discussing another forum, objecting to discussion of a forum by another forum...

I am not objecting, I am genuinely trying to get my head round why Thunderboat felt/feels the need for such a section and keeps posting in it.

16 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I am not objecting, I am genuinely trying to get my head round why Thunderboat felt/feels the need for such a section and keeps posting in it.

I presume because some there are still bitter about being banned here, or because they don't like criticism from mods or other members on here and enjoy mouthing off about it there.  It makes them feel better?  AFAIK criticising moderation on here can get you warning points, so it must be pretty tempting to do your criticising on another forum.

• Greenie 2

And of course Trolley buses to over from the trams in many towns and cities. Depicted here is an East London AEC six wheel Trolley bus also driver Ronald Hadland. I used the 693 from Chadwell Heath terminus many many times which terminated at Barking. The 695 ran between Chadwell Heath and Bow.

Trolley bus..jpg

Hadland.jpg

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

And of course Trolley buses to over from the trams in many towns and cities. Depicted here is an East London AEC six wheel Trolley bus also driver Ronald Hadland. I used the 693 from Chadwell Heath terminus many many times which terminated at Barking. The 695 ran between Chadwell Heath and Bow.

Trolley bus..jpg

Hadland.jpg

It’s ironic we are now going back to electric buses....life would have been much easier if they left the infrastructure in place. 

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

It’s ironic we are now going back to electric buses....life would have been much easier if they left the infrastructure in place. 

Yes, indeed. They of course used the old trams electric infrastructure and catenery, the catenery wires had to be doubled to complete the electric circuit for the buses and so used twin bar trollies because they were on rubber tyres whereas the tramcars use a single trolley to complete the currents circuit that went via the steel wheels on steel rails.

Smooth Cobbles had to be retained on sharp corners for the six wheeled trolley buses otherwise they scrubbed and wore out their rear tyres very quickly.

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

Like you wouldnt believe!! in Sheffield and Rotherham where we now have the trams, they go to places where they didnt go before............empty! They should have just reinstated the original tram tracks, they were where most people needed to travel and now where the highest pollution is! Plus the council had to sell them to stagecoach as they couldnt make them pay, you couldnt make it up

Of course Rotherham when I was a lad had trolley buses I believe we had trams but I cant remember them

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Like you wouldnt believe!! in Sheffield and Rotherham where we now have the trams, they go to places where they didnt go before............empty! They should have just reinstated the original tram tracks, they were where most people needed to travel and now where the highest pollution is! Plus the council had to sell them to stagecoach as they couldnt make them pay, you couldnt make it up

Of course Rotherham when I was a lad had trolley buses I believe we had trams but I cant remember them

Rotherham tramcar.

Rotherham tram..jpg

11 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Rotherham tramcar.

Rotherham tram..jpg

I have seen pictures of them in Wetherspoons but I am nearly 62 and never saw any in real life I thunk?

Yes finished in 49 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiuiNHF7q3nAhXUSsAKHYgKD-cQFjADegQIDBAH&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRotherham_Tramway&usg=AOvVaw3EcUA1RUzYuCM94xFtdJn_

And trolley buses ceased in 65

was closed on 2 October 1965.
Edited by peterboat

48 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I presume because some there are still bitter about being banned here, or because they don't like criticism from mods or other members on here and enjoy mouthing off about it there.  It makes them feel better?  AFAIK criticising moderation on here can get you warning points, so it must be pretty tempting to do your criticising on another forum.

You missed a bit, "unjustly" banned. 

We are allowed to discuss the effects of the law of the land, whether it is right and just, implemented fairly, but not the decisions of someone with a Mod badge? Human rights? Oh sorry they don't apply after 11pm tonight. Still, the NHS will be £350m a week better off, from next week. 

• Greenie 1

I had a friend who was a top notch solicitor. He was also a secret bus spotter. During his lunch breaks and spare time he wo becaused disquise himself with horn rimmed spectacles, false beard old mac and things and lurk in shop doorways near bus stops in Ilford High road collecting bus numbers. He had to disguise himself because sme of his office coleages lunched in the High road cafe's.

Edited by bizzard

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have a vague memory of seeing trolleybuses and trams in Rochdale. There's still a short stretch of track preserved. I'm 66.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I had a friend who was a top notch solicitor. He was also a secret bus spotter. During his lunch breaks and spare time he would disquise himself with horn rimmed spectacles, false beard old mac and things and lurk in shop doorways near bus stops in Ilford High road collecting bus numbers.

"I had a friend"... 

4 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

You missed a bit, "unjustly" banned. 

We are allowed to discuss the effects of the law of the land, whether it is right and just, implemented fairly, but not the decisions of someone with a Mod badge? Human rights? Oh sorry they don't apply after 11pm tonight. Still, the NHS will be £350m a week better off, from next week. 

I can't comment on whether it was justly or unjustly.  It was before my time.  Maybe some were justly and some were unjustly?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I can't comment on whether it was justly or unjustly.  It was before my time.  Maybe some were justly and some were unjustly?

Probably so, so that's OK then. Is it? Really? 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You have no idea what it was like JonV was banned for a true comment on Argentina! It was a nightmare time and the forum hasn't really recovered from it

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You have no idea what it was like JonV was banned for a true comment on Argentina! It was a nightmare time and the forum hasn't really recovered from it

Agreed with the general point but dragging it up on a fairly regular basis hardly helps does it?

• Greenie 3