Boat going boating on its own on the Trent...

frangar

Featured Posts

So Tony is yet again blaming CRT for what is happening to his boat? Yes he is. I was not wrong at all.

The fact of the matter is it is his boat and his responsibility to ensure it is in a fit state to be on the water.

We know that CRT and Newark Marina towed the boat back to Hazelford but that was six months ago. 

45 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You are wrong......and hate Tony with a vengeance, it was probably you that set it adrift.

Certainly not.

Yes I am not a fan of Dunkley but I most certainly would not do what you are suggesting :angry:

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

I know nothing about Mr D, but it does seem strange that his barge was floating until it was towed and repositioned by persons other than him.

Who to believe? I don’t know.

It was towed back to Hazelford in January. We have had a lot of rain since then into an open boat.

A responsible boat owner would of course go and check they property from time to time. Not TD he would prefer to blame someone else.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It was towed back to Hazelford in January. We have had a lot of rain since then into an open boat.

A responsible boat owner would of course go and check they property from time to time. Not TD he would prefer to blame someone else.

How often did you visit your boat during lockdown then.....?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

How often did you visit your boat during lockdown then.....?

Our boat was ashore and not going anywhere so no times during lock down.

Once non essential travel was allowed it was the first thing we did to go and check it was as we had left it and that nothing was amiss.

49 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What's the thinking regarding deliberately  filling the barge with water ?  Would it not be better protected  if empty and afloat?

Presumably so it can't drift off again??

53 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What's the thinking regarding deliberately  filling the barge with water ?  Would it not be better protected  if empty and afloat?

Seems odd to me, why would CaRT fill the boat will water until is went down?. I can see that it would stop the boat drifting off again but so would decent ropes (according to TD someone untied them previously so maybe he has made some enemies - surely not?). On the visitor moorings it wouldn't get very far anyway. The main problem is when the river floods, the boat, cabin and engine room will presumably be underwater giving TD another opportunity to take issue with CaRT.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The rain is an interesting possibility, but does imply that there has been about a years worth of rain in that area already this year.

4 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

The rain is an interesting possibility, but does imply that there has been about a years worth of rain in that area already this year.

"The vessel was returned to Hazleford on 29 January by C&RT, re-moored, by them, on the designated Visitor Moorings at the top end of the lockcut, and water to a depth of  6'-7' pumped into the hold, sufficient to settle the barge firmly on the river bed." - this according to TD who also states on his profile "Nothing in this post is incorrect, libelous or untrue - so, shut-up and learn to live with it !"

Good enough for me shutting up now.

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

"The vessel was returned to Hazleford on 29 January by C&RT, re-moored, by them, on the designated Visitor Moorings at the top end of the lockcut, and water to a depth of  6'-7' pumped into the hold, sufficient to settle the barge firmly on the river bed." - this according to TD who also states on his profile "Nothing in this post is incorrect, libelous or untrue - so, shut-up and learn to live with it !"

Good enough for me shutting up now.

You do have to question if it was settled on the river bed how has it now sunk?

The real shame in all of this and whatever the rights and wrongs of it all is that there is what was once a great tidy vessel going to ruin stuck on the river bed.

With the right amount of money ( ie a lot!)  it could have been a fine boat once again and would have made a lovely conversion/houseboat/liveaboard.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

You do have to question if it was settled on the river bed how has it now sunk?

It doesn't look sunk in the photo it looks like it's full of water. 

Sunk usually implies that if you put a pump in it then it will not refloat but I reckon a pump in there would work. None of the coamings appear to be below the waterline. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

It doesn't look sunk in the photo it looks like it's full of water. 

Sunk usually implies that if you put a pump in it then it will not refloat but I reckon a pump in there would work. None of the coamings appear to be below the waterline. 

It cannot go any lower, it is sat on the bottom.

At what point does a boat become 'sunk' ?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I suppose the proof would be in the pudding ie put a 2 inch puddle sucker in it and let it run. If the boat comes up (slowly!) then it's floating if it doesn't then it's sunk. 

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I suppose the proof would be in the pudding ie put a 2 inch puddle sucker in it and let it run. If the boat comes up (slowly!) then it's floating if it doesn't then it's sunk. 

How expensive would a pump be? Mr D reported that there is a bout 200 tons of water in the hull, so about 200,000 litres?

37 minutes ago, magnetman said:

By your reckoning then no boat ever sinks if it is capable of being pumped out? 

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When it ceases to float?

• Happy 1

54 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

By your reckoning then no boat ever sinks if it is capable of being pumped out? 

When it ceases to float?

Well yes. 

Otherwise a grounded fully loaded workboat would be sunk wouldn't it. 

200,000 litres at 100 litres a minute is 2000 minutes with is about 33 hours.

I did say "slowly". 

However it would become apparent after a fairly short while whether the boat was in fact sunk because if it was then the waterline would not change. 

The boat in the picture appears to be in a position where water can not get into it other than from the sky or a large wash caused by another boat. 

Or it could be holed. Who knows. 

Edited by magnetman

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

The boat in the picture appears to be in a position where water can not get into it other than from the sky or a large wash caused by another boat. 

Or if the river level rises .

The bow is high. Perhaps  there is a bulkhead across the boat  and the stern half of the barge is flooded (or sunk).