Boat going boating on its own on the Trent...

frangar

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Perhaps less of a grudge and more randomly pressing buttons until something exciting happens. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Have you seen the chicken thing? Oh gawd the chicken thing is sooo gross. ?

image.png.b6f4c26361bc9b8a2fd0b25f01dffc7b.png

Daughter in Law is a Fillipino, and one of their 'National Street Foods' is Balut, it is their equivalent to a sausage roll or a pasty.

It is a 16-to-21-day-old fertilized duck egg that contains not only a yolk but also a semi-developed duck embryo.

Image result for philippines chicken in an egg food"

Another delicacy that she struggles to obtain in UK 'high street' shops is Chickens Feet, they love to gnaw on them.

Its just a good job there are Fillipino shops in the UK where she can order stuff from.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Daughter in Law is a Fillipino, and one of their 'National Street Foods' is Balut, it is their equivalent to a sausage roll or a pasty.

It is a 16-to-21-day-old fertilized duck egg that contains not only a yolk but also a semi-developed duck embryo.

Image result for philippines chicken in an egg food"

Another delicacy that she struggles to obtain in UK 'high street' shops is Chickens Feet, they love to gnaw on them.

Its just a good job there are Fillipino shops in the UK where she can order stuff from.

That duck thing is all wrong no wonder we have the viruses going around like we do

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Can we just talk about trams?

I can just about remember trollybuses running from Barking along Fanshaw Ave and Ilford Lane but, alas, London trams were before my time.

Did the Elephant ever forget, I wonder?

That would be the 693 Barking to Chadwell Heath, although there was another route which went up Fanshaw ave and Ilford lane but went straight on at Ilford Broadway to Ley st, Horns road and Barkingside but I can't remember the number. The 693 went past Barking park gates in Fanshaw ave which had a Lido, a 15''gauge steam railway that ran from one end to the other,,, also a sternwheel steam paddle boat for trips on the large lake that stretched from the gates in Fanshaw ave to the gates at South Park drive, rowing boats, skiffs, motor boats, it was a very large park. Big funfairs, the lot.  I learn't to swim in that lake in the middle of the night, we then lived in a Pre-fab just behind it.

It's the one where they slice the top of the monkeys head off with a sword and eat the brains while it is still screaming that always bothered me. 

That's asking for trouble really and humans deserve to be wiped out if they continue to pursue such delicacies. 

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

Your top pic is a Green Goddess and is longer and on two 4 wheel bogies. This one is a Baby Grand, 4 wheelers and shorter. The motor buses were Daimler's.

Daimlers were based in the north of the city, in the south we had Crossleys and AECs.

Lpool bus D585 238.jpg

We had Daimlers in Coventry too, what's more they were built here at the factory in Radford.

Whenever we were returning for a holiday as soon as I saw the maroon and cream I knew we were back at home.

The old Harnall Lane bus depot, long gone.

Many "died" at Bird's scrap yard Long Marston, Stratford on Avon.

DSCF6107.jpg

5857832777_49d6b6cf1b_b[1].jpg

5084376041_6ecaf054e3_b[1].jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

As a really small child I remember trolly busses up on "the High Road" at Hayes in Middx, as described by my grandmother. I think I was about three years old when they vanished but even then I understood how they worked, as explained by my dad.  From my 3 year old memory I think they would of bin them Crossleys as Pluto posted.

I remember being deeply disappointed when fully autonomous busses replaced them. Does anyone know what those trolley busses in Hayes would of bin?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As a really small child I remember trolly busses up on "the High Road" at Hayes in Middx, as described by my grandmother. I think I was about three years old when they vanished but even then I understood how they worked, as explained by my dad.  From my 3 year old memory I think they would of bin them Crossleys as Pluto posted.

I remember being deeply disappointed when fully autonomous busses replaced them. Does anyone know what those trolley busses in Hayes would of bin?

According to Google Hayes trolley buses were the AEC type built in Southall and fitted out in Park Royal. Same as these. I believe Reading corporation were one of the last to use trolley buses.

Trolley bus..jpg

• Greenie 1

I remember getting stung on the thumb going from Chadwell Heath to Goodmayes. I was at the front on the top deck with the front window open when an enormous bumble bee flew in to sting my thumb, it bled like anything. The bus fare was 1d. 

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

We had Daimlers in Coventry too, what's more they were built here at the factory in Radford.

Whenever we were returning for a holiday as soon as I saw the maroon and cream I knew we were back at home.

The old Harnall Lane bus depot, long gone.

Many "died" at Bird's scrap yard Long Marston, Stratford on Avon.

DSCF6107.jpg

Is that a Green Line RF behind?

Please note.

I am NOT a bus enthusiast.

Honest.

6 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Buses. Lord. I have got used to seeing a "vintage" bus around that I used to work on when it was in service. Bristol RE, best bus ever built.

Gardner 6HLX and self changing gears five speed box.

Bristol, what was it doing in Wilmslow.

280px-Bristol_RE_ECW.jpg

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Bristol, what was it doing in Wilmslow.

280px-Bristol_RE_ECW.jpg

That's the bunny. They had a wiring harness as thick as your wrist running up the front. And that awkward fibreglass front panel. Really made to be worked on. Lovely vehicle. Except for their habit of bursting into flames.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bizzard said:

That would be the 693 Barking to Chadwell Heath, although there was another route which went up Fanshaw ave and Ilford lane but went straight on at Ilford Broadway to Ley st, Horns road and Barkingside but I can't remember the number. The 693 went past Barking park gates in Fanshaw ave which had a Lido, a 15''gauge steam railway that ran from one end to the other,,, also a sternwheel steam paddle boat for trips on the large lake that stretched from the gates in Fanshaw ave to the gates at South Park drive, rowing boats, skiffs, motor boats, it was a very large park. Big funfairs, the lot.  I learn't to swim in that lake in the middle of the night, we then lived in a Pre-fab just behind it.

Well well, isn't it a small world.

We used to live on the other side of Barking Park on Longbridge Road.

I thought the miniature railway was 10.25" gauge but, as per wickipedia, it was 9.25". I can't quite remember the steam loco but I can recall the arrival of it's petrol replacement, 'Little Nan' (Villiers engine?) I seem to recall a press photo being taken of me on the drivers seat when it arrived.

The steam loco stent time at Bressingham, I think, but has now been regauged to 10.25 and lives on the Eastleigh Lakeside Railway.

That sternwheel paddleboat was the 'Phoenix'

The miniature railway is still there but now a 7.25" gauge job.

And Billy Bragg lived, as a youth, in a house on Park Avenue backing onto the park.

I seem to remember the water in the lido being always very cold!

15 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Buses. Lord. I have got used to seeing a "vintage" bus around that I used to work on when it was in service. Bristol RE, best bus ever built.

I remember those buses with weldmesh across the windows taking scabs through our pickets back in 1984/85.

1 minute ago, Sir Nibble said:

That's the bunny. They had a wiring harness as thick as your wrist running up the front. And that awkward fibreglass front panel. Really made to be worked on. Lovely vehicle. Except for their habit of bursting into flames.

Our Rugby club had an old Bristol coach, the sluggish one with under floor Leyland engine and manual box and no power steering