• Straight from the boat taps
    • Via a bug killing filter built into the boat
    • From the boat taps but boiled first
    • Buy bottled water for drinking
    • Refill single use plastic bottles from the water side stand pipes
    • Use a purpose made water carrier

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

How did you check that the water was fit to drink?

No smell and  in reality it wasn't the same water as was in there when the smell was.

In reply to others:

Milton is bleach and its what I had to hand rather than going out to buy some.

Yes it might be more expensive but DILLIGAF 

Edited by Loddon
Bloody interweb
  • Greenie 1

No qualms about drinking from our stainless tank with O-ring sealed filler cap. I think I’d be more reluctant about drinking from one of those open mild steel tanks built into the structure and covered by a large unsealed hinged hatch - too easy to get canal water in it. A few bugs are good for the immune system but I draw the line at drinking canal water!

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Not being able to drink the water from your fresh water tank is a defect similar to not being able to use diesel from your diesel tank. The system is designed to deliver potable water: if it doesn't, fix it.

I notice that the results of the poll show that nearly 50% of us are drinking it direct from the taps.

I also notice that 50% of the forum members havent expired in the last year. Can't be much wrong then with most of our tanks.

Did you hear the one about 2 fish in a tank?

1 minute ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Selby Canal quite clear Nick :)

Full of weed last time we were there!

Anyway, much of the BCN is quite clear. I think it is all the phosphorous is the water that kills everything off, leaving it clear. I still wouldn’t want to drink it! (aka just because it is clear doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to drink it!)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Fill your tanks on a weekend. The water authorities increase the chlorine levels at the weekend. You'll be able to taste it now I've told you.

You are probably right Cat people are so impressionable, I once read the water is so poluted that the people drank beer instead, stuck to this ever since.

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I think I’d be more reluctant about drinking from one of those open mild steel tanks built into the structure and covered by a large unsealed hinged hatch - too easy to get canal water in it.

A story told to me many years ago by my local BSS inspector:

A boat arrived at the moorings in Berko and after a while he noticed that the owner never seemed to fill the water tank, when chatting the owner said thank you for filling my water every time you do yours.

Except he hadn't done it.

Turned out to be a leak into the integral tank from the canal.

After 6 months no ill effects ;)

9 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

You are probably right Cat people are so impressionable, I once read the water is so poluted that the people drank beer instead, stuck to this ever since.

Small beer I think it was called, low alcohol content but as it was boiled as part of the brewing process it was relatively safe.

Although this says myth

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2017/01/02/the-myth-of-medieval-small-beer/

But wiki says yes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

So who knows :)

just to add because it's fascinating 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow

13 minutes ago, Loddon said:

A story told to me many years ago by my local BSS inspector:

A boat arrived at the moorings in Berko and after a while he noticed that the owner never seemed to fill the water tank, when chatting the owner said thank you for filling my water every time you do yours.

Except he hadn't done it.

Turned out to be a leak into the integral tank from the canal.

After 6 months no ill effects ;)

Wasn't there a member on here who had the same type of self filling tank for a while?

Edited by tree monkey

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Small beer I think it was called, low alcohol content but as it was boiled as part of the brewing process it was relatively safe.

Although this says myth

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2017/01/02/the-myth-of-medieval-small-beer/

But wiki says yes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

So who knows :)

I just skimmed to the end of the ‘nay’ link and I think that what he’s saying is that small beer was indeed drunk in preference to water but not because of its health benefits, simply because it tasted better and gave you a calorific boost. Anyway, at the end of the day I guess it’s just his opinion. 

Similarly, in Louis Pasteur's time drinking water was so polluted that he declared that he had no hesitation in declaring wine to be the healthiest drink You can still see copies of this proclamation on the walls of some French offies.

It is not known how many copies of the sheet of paper he could see while writing this pronouncement.

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I just skimmed to the end of the ‘nay’ link and I think that what he’s saying is that small beer was indeed drunk in preference to water but not because of its health benefits, simply because it tasted better and gave you a calorific boost. Anyway, at the end of the day I guess it’s just his opinion. 

Interesting take on the fairly common idea of small beer though

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

A few bugs are good for the immune system but I draw the line at drinking canal water!

Our German Shepherd prefers to drink canal and puddle water over tap water. I think it’s like comparing real ale to lager. More flavour, but I will stick to tap water and/or real ale. 

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I just hope all that 23% who say they use a bug killing filter change the element frequently enough otherwise as with any filter they may be breeding more nasties in the filter than there is in tank water.

So true, we did some checking when I worked Offshore

Looks like “straight from the taps” has an historic majority, and will get water done by the end of January.  However “bug killing filter” is clearly winning the argument, whilst “refill single use bottles” appears to have lost it’s leader to “boiled first”, who in turn is now demanding independence.  “Buy bottled water” is soon to change it’s name, but will remain as irrelevant and “purpose made water carrier” has started the winding up process.

Edited by The Dreamer

1 minute ago, The Dreamer said:

Looks like “straight from the taps” has an historic majority, and will get water done by the end of January.  However “bug killing filter” is clearly winning the argument, whilst “refill single use bottles” appears to have lost it’s leader to “boiled first”, who in turn are now demanding independence.  Buy “bottled water” is soon to change it’s name, but will remain as irrelevant and “purpose made water carrier” has started the winding up process.

Are you running a book?

On 21/12/2019 at 16:33, peterboat said:

Google it mate it seems they last longer in the fridge according to most sites I have always used the fridge with no problems  they say it's a old wife's tale that it's bad for them 

Our eggs come straight from the chickens and it is rare that we eat one more than ten days old. They are kept at room temperature, albeit in the coldest corner of the kitchen worktop.

(On the occasions that we accumulate a surplus, they get pickled. There's a life lesson there somewhere...)

On 21/12/2019 at 23:05, Cheshire cat said:

Fill your tanks on a weekend. The water authorities increase the chlorine levels at the weekend. You'll be able to taste it now I've told you.

How long (average) does it take water to get from the water works to a domestic tap?