Standedge Tunnel Diggle to Marsden

frangar

Featured Posts

We are booked into Standedge for next Friday. Apparently we need to be at the tunnel mouth for 11.30am to prep for transit. 

Just wondering on the best best place to moor the night before? I’ve had a bit of a google and it was recommended on here in 2008 that opposite the service block at Bridge 70 was the last decent mooring and there wasn’t anything else with the tunnel mouth being shallow at the bank and noisy from the freight trains. If that’s still the case it’s going to be a very early start to clear 9 locks with a deepish boat!!

My Nicholson’s also shows a tap at the Diggle portal but I can’t find it listed elsewhere....want to check as I’d like the tank as full as possible before going into the tunnel.

Any other tips for the tunnel are more than welcome....

Mooring just above the last lock is fine. It’s what everyone does. The trains aren’t really an issue and pretty much stop overnight anyway. Yes there is a tap (or was, last year)at the diggle portal.

Standedge isn’t really a big deal navigation wise. The only thing is that it does take quite a while so it’s easy to lose concentration. Also the short mid section is tight not helped by the sprayed on concrete which lacks texture and so is harder to judge. But that bit is just 100yds or so.

20 minutes ago, frangar said:

We are booked into Standedge for next Friday. Apparently we need to be at the tunnel mouth for 11.30am to prep for transit. 

Just wondering on the best best place to moor the night before? I’ve had a bit of a google and it was recommended on here in 2008 that opposite the service block at Bridge 70 was the last decent mooring and there wasn’t anything else with the tunnel mouth being shallow at the bank and noisy from the freight trains. If that’s still the case it’s going to be a very early start to clear 9 locks with a deepish boat!!

My Nicholson’s also shows a tap at the Diggle portal but I can’t find it listed elsewhere....want to check as I’d like the tank as full as possible before going into the tunnel.

Any other tips for the tunnel are more than welcome....

There is a waterpoint near the mouth of the tunnel, where you boat's measured for size. It's advisable to fill your tanks with water before you enter.

Arthritic knees? Strap on knee pads as you'll be travelling on your knees for most of the way. 

Didn't see any problem with mooring.

Thanks for that....Google shows a chippy in Diggle & an ice cream parlour....above the last lock is looking like a very good plan! 

Hadnt thought of knee pads! I have got some magnetic LED lights to put on the cabin top & some plastic extrusion to cover the wooden handrails in case of navigational error which may or may not work! 

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Mooring just above the last lock is fine. It’s what everyone does. The trains aren’t really an issue and pretty much stop overnight anyway. Yes there is a tap (or was, last year)at the diggle portal.

Standedge isn’t really a big deal navigation wise. The only thing is that it does take quite a while so it’s easy to lose concentration. Also the short mid section is tight not helped by the sprayed on concrete which lacks texture and so is harder to judge. But that bit is just 100yds or so.

They do like you to fill water tank before passing through the tunnel. Seems they have more room below the water surface than above!

3 hours ago, frangar said:

Thanks for that....Google shows a chippy in Diggle & an ice cream parlour....above the last lock is looking like a very good plan! 

Hadnt thought of knee pads! I have got some magnetic LED lights to put on the cabin top & some plastic extrusion to cover the wooden handrails in case of navigational error which may or may not work! 

They gave us an additional portable work light which the put on the hatch. Very helpful. We also had a portable spot light in the front in addition to our usual tunnel light. Plus all the cabin lights on of course.

4 hours ago, frangar said:

The Gate Inn is opposite the chippy...

The moorings above the top lock at Diggle are spectacular...probably my favourite in the country! Bought an excellent wool jumper from the woollen shop below the canal there. And yes there is a water point. Found it quite tricky steering through the tunnel as we had fairly new paintwork so we're trying to avoid as much scrapes and bumps as possible. Met another boat that had bent their front roof/side pretty badly from taking it too fast. But the tunnel is seriously impressive and worth doing!

If you moor above the top lock (either side) you will be equidistant from the Diggle Hotel and the Gate Inn (down on the main road 2 locks down). Both are good pubs.  The ice cream parlour is canalside by a lock.  Don't confuse The Gate with The Hanging Gate mentioned in Nicholson's (mine anyway), which closed long ago. 

• Greenie 1

Yep, I agree, moor up by the Tunnel at Diggle. Lovely spot. 

Listen for the owls. 

If the boats coming through make good time you might even get to start off before 11.30, perhaps a lot closer to 10.30 if your lucky. 

All depends if they are on time and ready for 8am at the other end. 

I go through in about an hour and thirty or forty minutes which I was told is about normal. 

Enjoy 

34 minutes ago, frangar said:

Brilliant advice. Thanks so much. I shall bore you all with the trip if we make it out alive! Still not sure if we are going to come back via the Rochdale or escape onto the Trent....

It really isn’t anything to get worried about. We went through quite fast and didn’t touch anything.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Brilliant advice. Thanks so much. I shall bore you all with the trip if we make it out alive! Still not sure if we are going to come back via the Rochdale or escape onto the Trent....

Go up the Rochdale, if you’ve time, as far as Sumit, it’s spectacular, then turn back and then escape back on to the Trent? 

Or save the Rochdale for another day. ?

32 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Go up the Rochdale, if you’ve time, as far as Sumit, it’s spectacular, then turn back and then escape back on to the Trent? 

Or save the Rochdale for another day. ?

Oohhhh. That’s another possibility....the summit trip....hmmmmm.  

14 hours ago, frangar said:

Jim the chippy in diggle is the best fish and chips I have ever had also the rag pudding is very nice ?

17 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It really isn’t anything to get worried about. We went through quite fast and didn’t touch anything.

This must depend on the boat shape and height though (and probably water level too). The squarer the boat profile and closer to the limits of the allowed dimensions you are the harder it will be. Ours is a fairly standard Liverpool hull but probably a bit square and high above the waterline and in places it was impossible not to make contact with the tunnel roof or sides.

3 hours ago, Dave123 said:

This must depend on the boat shape and height though (and probably water level too). The squarer the boat profile and closer to the limits of the allowed dimensions you are the harder it will be. Ours is a fairly standard Liverpool hull but probably a bit square and high above the waterline and in places it was impossible not to make contact with the tunnel roof or sides.

Yes of course. Our boat is a Hudson which is fairly deep drafted and hence low cabin height, with plenty of tumblehome. BUT I am 6’ 5” and when we had it built, we had to ask for an extra 2” to be added to the cabin sides so I could stand up inside. With that extra height our boat is pretty average, though of course there will always be taller and squarer boats.  It I didn’t find we came anywhere close to touching the roof/handrails. At the wriggly bit in the middle, the problem was working out exactly where the tunnel sides were due to the smooth spray concrete, plus already getting a bit tired and blasé!

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes of course. Our boat is a Hudson which is fairly deep drafted and hence low cabin height, with plenty of tumblehome. BUT I am 6’ 5” and when we had it built, we had to ask for an extra 2” to be added to the cabin sides so I could stand up inside. With that extra height our boat is pretty average, though of course there will always be taller and squarer boats.  It I didn’t find we came anywhere close to touching the roof/handrails. At the wriggly bit in the middle, the problem was working out exactly where the tunnel sides were due to the smooth spray concrete, plus already getting a bit tired and blasé!

Well we fitted through froghall with a bit to spare and Gosty hill with a load of space so hopefully if I can steer round the wiggly bits we might be ok! 

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

Well we fitted through froghall with a bit to spare and Gosty hill with a load of space so hopefully if I can steer round the wiggly bits we might be ok! 

If you got through Froghall you will be fine. It’s nothing like as low as Froghall, and mostly there is loads of room - just the centre few 100 yds are a bit tight and twisty in places. I think it is the big variations in room plus the long concentration required, that makes it easy to make a mistake.

Well we made it....fantastic trip doesn’t even come close!

Moored up at Diggle the night before then moved to tunnel mouth first thing....Met Alistair who was to be be our chaperone and is a volunteer...couldn’t have wished for a nicer chap...took us 1 3/4 hours and as we are a trad he sat on the front with my OH...he also is a guide on the trip boat and was pointing out bits of interest throughout. 

They give you a couple of extra LED work lights which help a lot as did the magmount battery jobs I got from eBay.

The S bends in the middle mean I’m never going to moan about Braunston tunnel again! 

I’m glad we have a fair amount of tumblehome and are fairly deep draughted...even so it was tight in places but made it with no cabin damage...running without a exhaust stack or cutter did mean we blasted a fair amount of dust off the tunnel roof tho. 

Now to do it the other way in a week!! 

• Greenie 2

I got them from China but there are some uk sellers for more money....they work

amazingly well! Mine took about 4 weeks to arrive. Set of decent batteries lasted with no problem. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392343861569

hope that link works! Trying to sort it on my phone! 

Edited by frangar
  • Happy 1