Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
NewCanalBoy

First pump out -HELP !!

Featured Posts

Just at my first pump out station !!

 

I thought there was supposed to be two pipes ? A sucker out and a rinse in ?

 

There's only on suck out pipe. Not brave enough to do my first one yet !!

If the suck out happens what stops it causing a vacuum and crushing my tank and leaving sh*t inside my boat ?!

 

Quick responses please so I can get out of here !!

 

Cheers,

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Just at my first pump out station !!

 

I thought there was supposed to be two pipes ? A sucker out and a rinse in ?

 

There's only on suck out pipe. Not brave enough to do my first one yet !!

If the suck out happens what stops it causing a vacuum and crushing my tank and leaving sh*t inside my boat ?!

 

Quick responses please so I can get out of here !!

 

Cheers,

 

Simon

You should have a rinse out plug close to the bigger pump out plug. Remove both to to the pump out, the rinse out one will act as the tank breather too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will prob be a vent u cannot see. maybe out te hull side or roof? If its a dump through bog it will not mater anyway. Get the daft thing done this time then skip it and fit a proper boat bog, it will be no problem. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove the "Rinse out" bung, that will stop any vacuum forming.

During the suck, flush the loo a couple of times, or pour a couple of buckets of river water down the Rinse out.

 

Bod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh is see, so there's not another pipe as such - just need to open the 'in' plug  to let some air in ?

 

I'll Chuck some water down too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No wonder people keep complaining their pump out toilets stink if the tanks are not fitted with vents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

 Get the daft thing done this time then skip it and fit a proper boat bog, it will be no problem. 

 

Wise words!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Just at my first pump out station !!

 

I thought there was supposed to be two pipes ? A sucker out and a rinse in ?

 

There's only on suck out pipe. Not brave enough to do my first one yet !!

If the suck out happens what stops it causing a vacuum and crushing my tank and leaving sh*t inside my boat ?!

 

Quick responses please so I can get out of here !!

 

Cheers,

 

Simon

Go to a boatyard or marina that does pump outs and ask them to show you how.

 

Howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that Mrsmelly  doesnt do Facebook but if he did he would see the number of elsan disposal points out of action at the moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know that Mrsmelly  doesnt do Facebook but if he did he would see the number of elsan disposal points out of action at the moment

and the ones which are working are stinking! An owner can do something about any smell from his boat loo but there is nothing he can do about the stink in most Elsans. Unless he wants to clean it out and fumigate it before he uses it. As Mrs Smelly can be relied on to tell folk to get rid of their pump out loos and put in a cassette, I think he must have his own non smelly private Elsan and doesn't need to use any  that other boaters use 🙂 

 

haggis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not go to a boat yard for your first pump out and watch what they do. Sorry just noticed you are on the Fens, which one are you trying to use?

Edited by ditchcrawler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know that Mrsmelly  doesnt do Facebook but if he did he would see the number of elsan disposal points out of action at the moment

Apparently there's at least one pump out station out of action too...

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Well after all that excitement it doesn't f*ckin work !!

Ha ha good one, you will find that many times they dont work or are closed for the day etc etc. There are massively more elsan points around the system. Some smell for the 30 seconds of your life that you may need to use one, often they are fine and more often than not free to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Ha ha good one, you will find that many times they dont work or are closed for the day etc etc. There are massively more elsan points around the system. Some smell for the 30 seconds of your life that you may need to use one, often they are fine and more often than not free to use.

 

We may differ about Brexit but on the really important issues we are in complete agreement.

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, carlt said:

 

We may differ about Brexit but on the really important issues we are in complete agreement.

Yeah too true. We are Brexit tennis as we type :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A properly designed, installed and used pumpout is a lovesome thing God wot.

'Trouble is boat fitters don't understand and put the suction pipe on the gunnel, no flush pipe, nor breather either.

Building regulations ensure that domestic loos  are reasonably well installed (haha) - but not so on boats...

Oh dear..... 

 

If managed 'properly' they don't smell, if not, they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you put your £20 in the 'slot' ?

 

^^^This^^^

 

Did you think they were free perhaps? Cassette emptying is free which is a major advantage. Payment interface the pump-out is just one more thing to go wrong...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

^^^This^^^

 

Did you think they were free perhaps? Cassette emptying is free which is a major advantage. Payment interface the pump-out is just one more thing to go wrong...

 

 

 

On the Fens they are Denver, Ely. Cambridge you pay.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you put your £20 in the 'slot' ?

I didn't notice initially as I was too busy reading the instructions but there was was tape over the token slot, a guy I bumped into later said there was a disagreement between EA river authority and the local councils about whether to charge so it was currently free.

 

I followed instructions (none mentioned money or tokens) and the machine fired into life, but when I opened the valve nothing much happened. 

 

I was tempted to put the end of the hose against my face (much like when you do as a kid with the end of a vacuum cleaner).....but thought better of it.

 

There's a marina across the way where I'm going to fill up with diesel so I'll ask there also tomorrow.

 

All this on my maiden voyage........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I didn't notice initially as I was too busy reading the instructions but there was was tape over the token slot, a guy I bumped into later said there was a disagreement between EA river authority and the local councils about whether to charge so it was currently free.

 

I followed instructions (none mentioned money or tokens) and the machine fired into life, but when I opened the valve nothing much happened. 

 

I was tempted to put the end of the hose against my face (much like when you do as a kid with the end of a vacuum cleaner).....but thought better of it.

 

There's a marina across the way where I'm going to fill up with diesel so I'll ask there also tomorrow.

 

All this on my maiden voyage........

Drop the end in the cut and see if it sucks, some take time to build up suction. Again where are you, the Denver one has a very long pipe and takes a time to get going

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I didn't notice initially as I was too busy reading the instructions but there was was tape over the token slot, a guy I bumped into later said there was a disagreement between EA river authority and the local councils about whether to charge so it was currently free.

 

I followed instructions (none mentioned money or tokens) and the machine fired into life, but when I opened the valve nothing much happened. 

 

I was tempted to put the end of the hose against my face (much like when you do as a kid with the end of a vacuum cleaner).....but thought better of it.

 

There's a marina across the way where I'm going to fill up with diesel so I'll ask there also tomorrow.

 

All this on my maiden voyage........

You should put the end in the canal/river, that usualy primes the stupid thing. Ahh cross posted with Brian.

Edited by mrsmelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Well after all that excitement it doesn't f*ckin work !!

Perhaps it was already empty and nothing to pump out.  Do you have a guage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Perhaps it was already empty and nothing to pump out.  Do you have a guage?

It's a large white plastic tank, you can see the line of how full it is.

 

It was about 7/10 tenths full, but when I was told to throw a couple of buckets in it to wash it through I was a bit too eager.

 

It's now 9/10 full ..........

 

It's kind of f*cking me in the head to be honest, driving around in a boat full of other people's sh*t.......  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.