The heat

blackrose

Featured Posts

How's everyone coping? 31C in my boat moored in direct sunshine. I've got a desk fan running so it's not unbearable, but I can't imagine what it's like for a friend of mine moored a steel boat on the Rhone south of Lyon.

Edited by blackrose

I'm loving it.... we're moored out in the countryside, young calves on the other side of the canal entertaining us every now and again with their antics. 

Once in a while there's a glorious perfumed smell wafting in from the hatch, must be coming from the boat behind..... we're super chilled :) ??

We've just had a mahoosive thunder storm, lashing rain stotting off the ground, really roaring thunder but didn't see any lightning, didn't even see the sky brighten so while the thunder seemed right on top of us it must have actually been quite far away. 

The horrible muggy heat has cleared and we should be back to our normal rainy summer shortly. 

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

We've just had a mahoosive thunder storm, lashing rain stotting off the ground, really roaring thunder but didn't see any lightning, didn't even see the sky brighten so while the thunder seemed right on top of us it must have actually been quite far away. 

The horrible muggy heat has cleared and we should be back to our normal rainy summer shortly. 

Hope you've sent it South? Just love a good thunderstorm.

3 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Hope you've sent it South? Just love a good thunderstorm.

? You're not the first person to ask that to day. 

Over the last three years I've noticed a marked increase in the number of thunder storms we get locally, to the point where they are becoming a regular occurrence. 

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

? You're not the first person to ask that to day. 

Over the last three years I've noticed a marked increase in the number of thunder storms we get locally, to the point where they are becoming a regular occurrence. 

Must be someone local dancing round a broomstick

• Haha 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

"When shall we gaggle and Nessie meet again?"

Just doesn't have the same ring to it somehow ...

No but I bet it would look much funnier if that was what popped up instead ?

3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

?

Climate change init. Warner seas and troposphere means more energy in the system and more differentials trying to reach equilibrium = more storms.

• Greenie 2

Just now, blackrose said:

Climate change init. Warner seas and troposphere means more energy in the system and more differentials trying to reach equilibrium = more storms.

That is exactly what it is. Our winters are getting longer warmer and wetter, our spring and early summer is nonstop rain and out late summer is now much more humid and thunderstorms are much more common. And then the autumn arrives and all the raining starts again. I know the running joke is "well, this is Scotland what do you expect" but this is much more than what is normal. 

I suspect it's the effect that the melting ice caps are having on the Gulf Stream, the Gulf Stream plays a big part in the weather of the north west of Scotland. 

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

That is exactly what it is. Our winters are getting longer warmer and wetter, our spring and early summer is nonstop rain and out late summer is now much more humid and thunderstorms are much more common. And then the autumn arrives and all the raining starts again. I know the running joke is "well, this is Scotland what do you expect" but this is much more than what is normal. 

I suspect it's the effect that the melting ice caps are having on the Gulf Stream, the Gulf Stream plays a big part in the weather of the north west of Scotland. 

The summer of 1976 was like this temperature. Next year will prob be cold again innitt.

8 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

What is humidity level in your heat wave?

Our 'heat wave' only lasted a couple of days - think people get overexcited ??

Think the humidity must have been over 90% yesterday. I normally follow the Met Office https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcqkzpxc1#?date=2019-06-30 for local weather forecasts. Though I've noticed they appear to get it more 'wrong' than 'right' (or so it seems). We had amber warnings for 3 days last week for thunderstorms; no thunderstorm materialised.

10 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I dont know about fancy erms that fit whatever " PC " phrase of the moment is. All I know is it was bloomin ott, like yesterday for much of the summer of 1976 :)

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

dont know about fancy erms

I know - a fact your grandchildren won't thank you for. ?

whatever " PC " phrase

:banghead: Darling, weather and climate are absolutely not in any way "PC" terms - they are unequivocally scientific facts. I'm quite sure you know this and just do it to get a rise. :rolleyes:

All I know is it was bloomin ott, like yesterday for much of the summer of 1976 :)

:D Yes it was :hug:

• Greenie 1