Pump to empty bath keeps cutting out

Tasemu

Featured Posts

Hello! I have recently got my hot water working (woohoo!). But now that I have had a shower/bath/thing, when i hold down the button that is on the wall which activates the pump to empty the bath, the pump will stop within about 5 seconds, down to about half a second. So far its taken 2 days to empty the water, with a little still left to go.

I was hoping to get some help diagnosing the issue here. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. :)

What pump is it? If it’s not a Whale Gulper then think about changing it. In the mean time check for blockages - it might be struggling against hair and stuff and overheating. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, WotEver said:

What pump is it? If it’s not a Whale Gulper then think about changing it. In the mean time check for blockages - it might be struggling against hair and stuff and overheating. 

It could be fighting a blockage, however i left it for 24 hours and just pressed the button tonight, it lasted about a second. could it overheat that quickly?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whale-Gulper-220-Shower-waste/dp/B000FHQL5G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?adgrpid=54830376684&hvadid=259032646488&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9046150&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14294074784136551862&hvtargid=kwd-304056643363&keywords=whale+gulper+220&qid=1554318150&s=gateway&sr=8-1

You might find it cheaper on eBay. But before you change the pump check all your electrical connections and check for blockages. If it is blocked I'd still fit a whale gulper. No filter required and they don't tend to get blocked.

Edited by blackrose

Righto, i'll check out a whale gulper! :)

In the short term, is it possible to try a plunger or would that damage the pump even more?

In other news, my pump appears to be a jabsco shower drainage pump

2 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Righto, i'll check out a whale gulper! :)

In the short term, is it possible to try a plunger or would that damage the pump even more?

In other news, my pump appears to be a jabsco shower drainage pump

Short term solution.......bucket and chuck it!

13 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

That is a diaphragm pump similar to a Whale Gulper. Should do the job admirably.

It is either blocked, jammed or knackered. Take it out and find out which.

I'll try taking it out, any advice to stop the bath water flooding me? havent managed to drain the bath yet haha

When I suggested checking the electrical connections to the pump I assumed it wasn't cycling. But if you can hear it cycling when you switch it on then it's most likely to be a blockage. There's no way around it I'm afraid. Empty the bath manually, sponge out the residue and then take the pump off. Have a few old towels handy to soak up any waste water that comes out of the hoses. Check the hoses for blockages and also the pump. I've never known a whale gulper to block but your Jabsco may have a pre-filter that's blocked.

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

When I suggested checking the electrical connections to the pump I assumed it wasn't cycling. But if you can hear it cycling when you switch it on then it's most likely to be a blockage. There's no way around it I'm afraid. Empty the bath manually sponge out the residue and then take the pump off. Have a few old towels handy to soak up any waste water that comes out of the hoses. Check the hoses for blockages and also the pump. I've never known a whale gulper to block but your Jabsco may have a pre-filter that's blocked.

Just now, Boater Sam said:

Wet and dry vac? Bale it , soak it up in cloths, come on its not rocket science.

Wicked, that's the plan then. :)

Erradicate pumps.  Mount the baths bottom higher than the boats waterline so it drains by gravity. A cupboard or bunk can be built beneath it with a nice little ladder up into it. There should be enough headroom to sit up init.

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Erradicate pumps.  Mount the baths bottom higher than the boats waterline so it drains by gravity. A cupboard or bunk can be built beneath it with a nice little ladder up into it. There should be enough headroom to sit up init.

d4345_1.jpg

• Haha 1

Just got back to the pc after getting to work, here is what I did and what I found.

What I did:

1: scooped out the bath water

2: unplugged each hose from the pump

3: couldnt unscrew the pump from the floor ( they were in very tight!)

4: took apart the diaphragm with it still mounted

5:  cleaned what i could, it was in pretty good condition with only some scale on the inside of the cap

6: blew out the hose to the hull, felt like something shot out the end... maybe

7: put it all back together

8: slight improvement but pump still cuts out after 5-10 seconds

What I learned:

1: Pump was pretty clean

2: Diaphragm was in good condition

3: DONT unscrew the outlet at the bottom of the tub, the pipe fell down and had to fish it out for half an hour

4: blowing out the hull hose from the pump offers no real resistance

5: not sure about the bath - pump hose, as i couldnt find any way to check for blockages without a long wire maybe?

6: Maybe the engine is seised... Though it runs happily for a few seconds and does appear to drain water from the tub

I guess my next step is to either:

1: buy a whale gulper and hope for the best

2: find out if the bath - pump line is clogged (not sure how yet) 

Edited by Athy
Removing biological swearing

It's a diaphragm pump, so will happily run dry. Does it still cut out when its input hose (bath to pump) is disconnected?

If so, it's likely to be bearing trouble as Tony suggested.

e.t.a. You should be able to blow through the pump to bath hose.

Edited by Iain_S