Installing an immersion heater

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Buy a metre of heat resistant immersion heater cable as well and wire it into the element before you fit it, much better than trying to do it in the cupboard!

Excellent advice, as is the rest of Sam's post.  (He's great when he's not grumpy, isn't he?  I think winter sunshine suits him!) :)

For clarity when you're shopping, it's known as butyl cable to the trade. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Excellent advice, as is the rest of Sam's post.  (He's great when he's not grumpy, isn't he?  I think winter sunshine suits him!) :)

For clarity when you're shopping, it's known as butyl cable to the trade. 

Worth noting that if you do that (wire it before fitting) then you definitely won’t need the box spanner because it won’t fit. 

• Greenie 1

Now I have recovered from the shock, greenie to you Sea Dog.

Butyl will be fine but high temp pvc is cheaper and OK. Use 2.5mm sq even though it is thicker than need be but the cable clamp and terminals will be made to fit this size properly.

If you are using a box type spanner rather than a ring or open end, wire the terminals but fit the clamp and cap after then the cable doesn't get in the way.

What ever gave you the impression I am grumpy? I'm just curmudgeonly.

( And have a zero tolerance of fools and impolite people )

Edited by Boater Sam
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Wot about Muppets?

There're a given ... who can get upset with a Muppet?

Thank you very much for all your advice. We won't be ready to install it yet for a month or so, I'm just planning for success! There's so many good tips and ideas here ?

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I thought all  immersion elements were required to have a safety cutout now, after those two people were scalded to death?

That’s what they say on the UK Plumbers forum, for sure. 

It appears that reg came into effect in April 2004. 

It’s illegal to sell anything else in the UK

If by any chance the colorifier uses the smaller fitting element which I described earlier the standard spanner won't fit it. However it should come undone very easily, ''''almost by hand''  having an ''0'' ring seal. If you haven't a spanner to fi it large size pipe grips should do it easily. When replacing with new ''0'' ring smear some silicone on it for ease of removal in the future. Bit like a spin on oil or fuel filter.

These elements have a separate thermostat tube which slides into the element. The power feed is by a meter or so of cable already attached to it with a two pin plug on the end to plug into the harness tail. These thermostats come separate and you would need to buy one as well as the element. I get them from Aquafax and not cheap.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

That’s what they say on the UK Plumbers forum, for sure. 

It appears that reg came into effect in April 2004. 

It’s illegal to sell anything else in the UK

But is that higher cut out above 80 deg C which the calorifer could well be with the engine running

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

But is that higher cut out above 80 deg C which the calorifer could well be with the engine running

Domestic immersion heaters generally have the high level overload fixed at 65 deg C which is why I stated in post 17 that a marine grade part should be used.

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Domestic immersion heaters generally have the high level overload fixed at 65 deg C which is why I stated in post 17 that a marine grade part should be used.

Is that high level cutout permanent or does it reset like a normal 'stat when the temperature drops?

One thing I haven't seen said  is to loosen the bung slightly whilst the tank is under pressure as it gives rigidity to the tank.

I have seen people try and remove an old immersion from a half empty tank and it twisted the boss and split the tank.

6 minutes ago, Loddon said:

One thing I haven't seen said  is to loosen the bung slightly whilst the tank is under pressure as it gives rigidity to the tank.

I have seen people try and remove an old immersion from a half empty tank and it twisted the boss and split the tank.

Someone did say that earlier on, but it doesn't heart to repeat good advice