Canal & River Trust begins consultation to move greater resource into regional customer-focussed roles

Ray T

Featured Posts

CRT Press Release

6 November 2018

Canal & River Trust begins consultation to move greater resource into regional customer-focussed roles

As part of its waterways and wellbeing strategy, to improve customer service and to engage with local communities, the Trust has today (6th November 2018) announced some further proposed changes.

The announcement will see resource from the Trust’s centrally based roles moved into its six customer-facing regional teams, and operational management roles adapted to meet the requirements of the new regions.

The changes affect approximately 240 colleagues who have been briefed at a series of sessions across the network, and whose existing roles are now ‘at risk’.  Those affected include professional, supervisory and management roles.  Waterway operatives, team leaders and volunteer leaders are not affected by the changes.   During the consultation period with our trade unions, which will commence next week, those affected will have the opportunity to discuss their aspirations and preferred outcomes.

Richard Parry, chief executive, comments: “The Trust has been repositioning as a charity for the waterways and wellbeing, with a new structure that has seen us move from ten waterways to six larger regions, with some activities previously managed centrally now devolved to these regional teams, and a reduction in senior manager numbers overall.

“The intention is to re-design roles to meet what the Trust needs for the future rather than to remove these posts from the organisation entirely.  Operations roles will be focussed on how to deliver great customer service for boaters, towpath users and visitors to our numerous attractions, and there will be greater capacity to react and respond to the needs of the local waterway and surrounding communities.”

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Jonathan Ludford, national communications manager, Canal & River Trust

m 07747 897783 e jonathan.ludford@canalrivertrust.org.uk

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

CRT Press Release

6 November 2018

Canal & River Trust begins consultation to move greater resource into regional customer-focussed LOVELY SPELLCHECK roles

As part of its waterways and wellbeing strategy, to improve customer service and to engage with local communities, the Trust has today (6th November 2018) announced some further proposed changes.

The announcement will see resource from the Trust’s centrally based roles moved into its six customer-facing regional teams, and operational management roles adapted to meet the requirements of the new regions.

The changes affect approximately 240 colleagues who have been briefed at a series of sessions across the network, and whose existing roles are now ‘at risk’if they dont agree to move they are gone- senior ones with a nice payoff.  Those affected include professional, supervisory and management roles.  Waterway operatives, team leaders and volunteer leaders are not affected by the changes.   During the consultation period with our trade unions, which will commence next week, those affected will have the opportunity to discuss their aspirations and preferred outcomes how much time they need to find a new position.

Richard Parry, chief executive, comments: “The Trust has been repositioning as a charity for the waterways and wellbeing,wellbeing is a noun now?? with a new structure that has seen us move from ten waterwaysfar more than that Richard, maybe 10 regions,, to six larger regions, with some activities previously managed centrally now devolved to these regional teams, and a reduction in senior manager numbers overall.

“The intention is to re-design roles to meet what the Trust needs for the future rather than to remove these posts from the organisation entirely.  Operations roles will be focussed on how to deliver great customer service for boaters first CRT statement for a while that remembers we exist, towpath users and visitors to our numerous attractions what about the bits in between...., and there will be greater capacity to react and respond to the needs of the local waterway and surrounding communities.”

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Jonathan Ludford, national communications manager, Canal & River Trust

m 07747 897783 e jonathan.ludford@canalrivertrust.org.uk

we should have seen it coming part 197.....

First Report
Public Bodies Orders

A.  Draft British Waterways Board (Transfer of Functions) Order 2012

INTRODUCTION

1.  The Draft British Waterways Board (Transfer of Functions) Order 2012 ("the draft Order") has been laid under section 5(1) of the Public Bodies Act 2011 ("the 2011 Act"). The draft Order has been laid by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs ("Defra") with an Explanatory Document ("ED") and an Impact Assessment ...

EFFICIENCY AND EFFECTIVENESS

13.  The ED argues that the exercise of public functions will improve because waterways users and communities that live alongside waterways will have greater involvement in how the waterways are managed. The transfer of functions and property of BW in England and Wales to "civil society" will achieve this by giving key stakeholders a role in the governance of the waterways and allowing them to bring their expertise and passion to the organisation. Greater local community engagement is particularly important as this will help communities recognise what the waterways have to offer in achieving their objectives such as public health, well being and "green travel" to work, as well as opening up opportunities for regeneration in both inner city and rural areas (ED paragraph 7.16 and 7.17). The ED says that CRT's new governance structures are specifically designed to ensure accountability to the wide community of interested parties, not just waterways users, including environmental and heritage groups, local communities etc. (ED paragraph 7.20). 11 Waterways Partnerships and an All Wales Waterway Partnership will encourage participation at a more local level. Each of the Waterways Partnerships will draw up a localism strategy, to foster participation and volunteering at a local level (see Appendix 1). A good case was made in oral evidence that CRT will be able to mobilise public support in a way that BW cannot. Robin Evans told us that "there is a completely different feel to an organisation that runs a national heritage treasure as a charitable trust as opposed to a public department … People would not give us money if we were a public department"; and that "Since we announced that we were becoming a trust, the number of volunteer days has increased to 39,000 this year and we will end up with 100,000 or more volunteer days" (QQ38 and 39). 

• Unimpressed 1

4 hours ago, Halsey said:

I'm in shock - the word "Boaters" is actually used in this one is RP finally getting the message - I doubt it but someone broke with the "whip" in writing this one!

Me too. That word jumped out at me too. 

That nice Mr Parry seems finally to have noticed boats use the canals as well as cyclists, runners, dog walkers, nature lovers, anglers, office workers and any other non-payers I failed to mention.

How curious. I wonder what on earth is going on up in CRT Towers.

• Greenie 2

I think 'wellbeing' has always been a noun?  As for 'focussed' :      "Such consonants are traditionally doubled according to US English spelling rules only when stressed, e.g. called, referred. So the spelling focussed is the traditional UK spelling and focused (and focusing) is an exception but so common that the online Cambridge and Oxford dictionaries list it first"

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

So the spelling focussed is the traditional UK spelling and focused (and focusing) is an exception but so common that the online Cambridge and Oxford dictionaries list it first"

Aren't they listed first because of alphabetic order?  E & i being higher up the alphabet than s.

Is this an opportunity to weed out some of the surplus 'managers'?  CRT strikes me as a classic example of "too many chiefs, not enough Indians".  Just look at how many people are involved in dealing with  the CRT moorings.

Another year, another reorganisation.  

11 minutes ago, dor said:

Is this an opportunity to weed out some of the surplus 'managers'?  CRT strikes me as a classic example of "too many chiefs, not enough Indians".  Just look at how many people are involved in dealing with  the CRT moorings.

Another year, another reorganisation.  

Five signs of a failing company :

Appoint loads of new Directors

Paint the toilets

Make staff re-apply for their jobs.

Re-organise giving 'team leaders' more responsibility (so less of the mistakes rub off onto the 'Board')

Redundancies.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Aren't they listed first because of alphabetic order?  E & i being higher up the alphabet than s.

Quite possibly. "Focussed" is the normal spelling in English English.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At first I misread this as "Appoint toads as new directors". Many a true word?

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Paint the toilets

Re-organise giving 'team leaders' more responsibility (so less of the mistakes rub off onto the 'Board')

Redundancies.

You missed the precursor: start rationing stationery. ;)

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Paint the toilets

Redundancies.

Another one you missed:

Spend a fortune on a new company logo/image and replace all the signage. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Another one you missed:

Spend a fortune on a new company logo/image and replace all the signage. 

I can't imagine that happening on the waterways.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I can't imagine that happening on the waterways.

I agree. Such behaviour is what happens when management feel out of control of the company, have given up trying and busy themselves fiddling around with the peripheral detail instead. 

Or so I read in the business books many years ago....

We must watch out in case it happens to CRT ever, don'tcher think?

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I agree. Such behaviour is what happens when management feel out of control of the company, have given up trying and busy themselves fiddling around with the peripheral detail instead. 

Or so I read in the business books many years ago....

We must watch out in case it happens to CRT ever, don'tcher think?

You mean, something like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic (which, I hear, is currently moored near Tring)?