I'm back !!

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

After selling my 60 footer ..Cleo No3....five years ago...and settling on terra firma...we have just purchased another boat !

Moored at Newbery...we will be exploring Bath and Bristol next spring and summer.

The boat is much more 'base'.....2001...43 feet...only fire for heating..small inverter..2 alternators....nothing sophisticated...but one owner..and 2800 hours...on a Beta BV 1505 in 17 years.

It's spent it's life on the K&A and seems to be quite pit free on the hull. The owner has had it regularly engineer maintained..... blacked and inspected ....but it only needed one set of anodes in all that time. 

The hull seems in very good condition and reports show hardly any pitting at all. 

I was told by an outside source that the chalky nature of the K&A helps in that respect ?

Is that true ?

Anyway..its much more base than my previous sophisticated 60 footer. I actually felt that (60 footer) had too much on it...and was once told by a scrote in Birmingham that if the boat looks really nice...it will have really nice things to steal !

Also...I'm looking forward to the shorter length...as mooring the 60 could sometimes be a problem.

That's my preference.. I know others like their toys  :0)

We are not going to live on it full time...so only paying a 6 month license on a short boat...will suit better..

Anyway....I'm back !...and pretty happy...!

Bob

• Greenie 1

There are several marinas at Newbery that are licence exempt....riperian rights..?... due to them being on a spur of the Kennet and not the canal. 

This occurs throughout the network...but CART won't tell you where.

A few years back..somebody launched a freedom of information request for a list of these, but CART used an exemption clause and refused.

My last boat was license exempt at a marina on the Thames (environment agency)  under the same terms.

Edited by Bobbybass

1 hour ago, Bobbybass said:

There are several marinas at Newbery that are licence exempt....riperian rights..?... due to them being on a spur of the Kennet and not the canal. 

A few years back..somebody launched a freedom of information request for a list of these, but CART used an exemption clause and refused.

My last boat was license exempt at a marina on the Thames (environment agency)  under the same terms.

All contract details are likely to be considered commercially sensitive and not to be divulged, just as with all local authorities, for example.

9 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

Perhaps I'm wrong but I always thought Riperian Rights referred to ownership of the river bank and riverbed, not the river itself? So I could understand if that means the moorings on those spurs of the Kennet are private, but wouldn't CaRT still own/administer the water and require a licence for boats using it?

No..    there are several that are licence free...    

My last Thames marina was taken to task by the environment agency...   and the EA lost miserably...

Anyway...  I'm licence free when in the marina...and that suits me.

Thank you all....   I'm leaving this thread now,

Edited by Bobbybass

The is strange for I have riparian responsibilities for a water course going through my garden.  I have no control over the water though, my only responsibility is to ensure the course remains open and free of obstruction. Also not quite sure how you can say you are "license free when in the marina" for you may be in it one day and not the next! 

Edited by Traveller

6 hours ago, Traveller said:

The is strange for I have riparian responsibilities for a water course going through my garden.  I have no control over the water though, my only responsibility is to ensure the course remains open and free of obstruction. Also not quite sure how you can say you are "license free when in the marina" for you may be in it one day and not the next! 

You are not understanding my situation.

I'm not going to use the boat all of the time...in fact...can't see myself going out until around April. So...I pay no licence until I decide to bring it back into use. When I go out in April..I will licence it ..Probably for 6 months.

Several marinas around Newbery..ie...   Ham manor . ..are the same..

I just cannot get my heard around that sort of licensing flexibility, I have just not come across it before. It is the same re the riparian piece, I know many other riparian owners and none own the water. Still, if it is all above board then good luck to you. Would you care to share the name of the marina ?

19 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I just cannot get my heard around that sort of licensing flexibility, I have just not come across it before. It is the same re the riparian piece, I know many other riparian owners and none own the water. Still, if it is all above board then good luck to you. Would you care to share the name of the marina ?

Another marina where this is the case is Barry Howkins yard at Atherstone and also the Stafford Boat club I have been told

Edited by ditchcrawler

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Another marina where this is the case is Barry Howkins yard at Atherstone and also the Stafford Boat club I have been told

Stafford Boat Club is fed from a water feed at the far end of the marina rather than from the canal which is why they don't need a license whilst boats remain in the marina. 

17 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

Thanks.... 

The licence situation isn't my fault.....

I hope to meet up with many of your folk soon...

Bob

Xx

Its just jealousy for paying for 12 months. If what you are doing is legitimate good luck to you. It would be very interesting to know where all these moorings 

13 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Stafford Boat Club is fed from a water feed at the far end of the marina rather than from the canal which is why they don't need a license whilst boats remain in the marina. 

I doubt that. More modern marinas with the current standard NAA also have their own feed. I would have thought that it had more to do with the age of their agreement. Although that water feed might have been part of the negotiation originally. 

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its just jealousy for paying for 12 months. If what you are doing is legitimate good luck to you. It would be very interesting to know where all these moorings 

There are dozens of them around the system - there are 2 within a few miles of where we are moored.

The licence requirement in a marina is not really anything to do with Riparian rights, but are covered in the commercial contract (NAA) that C&RT have with marinas. Any Marina pre-dating the NAA contracts will not be required to have the 'must be licenced' stipulation.

There have been many threads regarding this and a couple of years ago one developed into a list of 'all known licence exempt marinas'.

So a few to kick off with :

Whilton

Colwick

Newark

Shobnal

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are dozens of them around the system - there are 2 within a few miles of where we are moored.

The licence requirement in a marina is not really anything to do with Riparian rights, but are covered in the commercial contract (NAA) that C&RT have with marinas. Any Marina pre-dating the NAA contracts will not be required to have the 'must be licenced' stipulation.

There have been many threads regarding this and a couple of years ago one developed into a list of 'all known licence exempt marinas'.

So a few to kick off with :

Whilton

Colwick

Newark

Shobnal

Ashwood

14 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I doubt that. More modern marinas with the current standard NAA also have their own feed. I would have thought that it had more to do with the age of their agreement. Although that water feed might have been part of the negotiation originally. 

Just going by what I was told when I was there.