Vodafone

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

Another vote for 3.  Pretty good coverage on the cut.  Where we are moored we're getting >10Mbs - fast enough to watch Netflix etc.

Beware of Vodafone. When my contract ended in July a new one was automatically begun.  What Vodafone didn't tell me was that I'd finished paying for the phone and should only have been charged for connection and data. 

I had to go into a Vodafone shop (don't try to get any sense out of them over the phone) to have my contract amended, saving myself about £250 a year.

2 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Another vote for 3.  Pretty good coverage on the cut.  Where we are moored we're getting >10Mbs - fast enough to watch Netflix etc.

Beware of Vodafone. When my contract ended in July a new one was automatically begun.  What Vodafone didn't tell me was that I'd finished paying for the phone and should only have been charged for connection and data. 

I had to go into a Vodafone shop (don't try to get any sense out of them over the phone) to have my contract amended, saving myself about £250 a year.

Mobile phone providers make secondhand car dealers look like choir boys.

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

I imagine Vodafone are not unique in this - in fact I'd be surprised ifall the providers wouldn't happily let you keep paying the monthly contract price after that contract had ended, and you had effectively paid for the phone.

Certainly when one of our phones was under Tesco mobile, (the network is O2), our lack of organisation meant we continued to pay too much for too long.  I think when we did address it a charge of something like £28 permonth reduced to £10, and I think that bought more minutes as well.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Mobile phone providers make secondhand car dealers look like choir boys.

And I would add insurance companies to that, but that's another story.

Many companies, be they insurers, mobile phone providers, or simply just banks paying interest on money you have deposited with them rely hugely on their profits for people failing to keep looking around for a better deal.  Provided you are not locked into some kind of term contract, or there isn't a big exit charge, for just about all these things a better deal just needs some time on the Internet, or maybe making a few phone calls.

With mobile phone suppliers also be wary of walking into a store where you think you are getting a free choice of networks.  Carphone Warehouse is I guess one of-the biggest, but the last time we had any involvement with them, what they didn't spell out was that they were not providing anything that used '3'.  So in our case if you went to Carphone warehouse to buy a phone and service most suited the bits of the cut we use most they were not in a position to supply it.

Edited by alan_fincher
typo

17 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I imagine Vodafone are not unique in this - in fact I'd be surprised ifall the providers wouldn't happily let you keep paying the monthly contract price after that contract had ended, and you had effectively paid for the phone.

EE certainly would allow you to carry on paying the higher rate which includes the cost of the phone even after it is paid for.

The MY EE section of their web site though does make you aware of when you can upgrade to another phone (2 year contract) or switch to SIM only with a 12 month contract. This kicks in 45 days before your contract is due to end. But you have to actually contact them to do it, nothing happens automatically if you do not.

It one of the biggest scams going as I'm sure lots of people don't bother even though when you do with EE you can normally get more data for less monthly outgoings. I make sure the date I can do it is in my calendar.

And yes I'm pretty sure they all do it.

Edited by MJG

21 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

When I'm considering mobile phone and data, Vodafone dont even feature in the networks I consider. Although, if you live in Heckington near Sleaford, it is the only network that gets a consistent signal.

I bought my Mum a Phone with Vodafone PAYG SIM and, when setting it up, it felt like I was being forced to buy what they wanted to sell, rather than what I wanted for my Mum. Thus, as well as having a reputation for not the best coverage, I also have a perception that they will rip you off at every opportunity.

My current Go To mobile providers are GiffGaff, EE, Three, Plusnet, (not in any particular order).

You have to remember Heckington is pretty rural and Fen flatish couple that with the deal Vodafone did with the Fire Brigade who in exchange for mobiles allowed Vodafone to mount aerials on all the Brigade training towers. This gave them the edge as far as coverage is concerned. 

I've had a mobile since mid 80s first with a transportable on Cellnet at 45p per minute.

Then I worked my way through the lot a various times depending where I was. Found them all the same, bit like the curated egg.

Phil 

When I'm considering mobile phone and data, Vodafone dont even feature in the networks I consider. Although, if you live in Heckington near Sleaford, it is the only network that gets a consistent signal.

I bought my Mum a Phone with Vodafone PAYG SIM and, when setting it up, it felt like I was being forced to buy what they wanted to sell, rather than what I wanted for my Mum. Thus, as well as having a reputation for not the best coverage, I also have a perception that they will rip you off at every opportunity.

My current Go To mobile providers are GiffGaff, EE, Three, Plusnet, (not in any particular order).

You have to remember Heckington is pretty rural and Fen flatish couple that with the deal Vodafone did with the Fire Brigade who in exchange for mobiles allowed Vodafone to mount aerials on all the Brigade training towers. This gave them the edge as far as coverage is concerned. 

I've had a mobile since mid 80s first with a transportable on Cellnet at 45p per minute.

Then I worked my way through the lot a various times depending where I was. Found them all the same, bit like the curated egg.

Phil 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah I hadnt looked at it that way. Our phone at 400 quid in the same year I paid 10k for our first liveaboard a 56 footer and 40 pence a minute when red diesel was 50 pence a gallon!!

. . .  and some on another threads seem to want us to abandon our efforts (mainly at a government level) to find alternative energy sources to carbon. The one thing that technology has not done is to reduce the 'real' price of such fuels, only to make newer finds more economic to extract (eg fracking).

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Then I worked my way through the lot a various times depending where I was. Found them all the same, bit like the curates egg.

Phil 

Then I worked my way through the lot a various times depending where I was. Found them all the same, bit like the curates egg.

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

Phil 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Oh yes vodaphone i remember 25 pounds a month and 25 p a minute, even if you didnt get through. Direct debit out of your bank whether you liked it or not.

of course you wouldnt get mugged for the phone , if someone grabbed it they couldnt run far. Once started a dead 2cv off the battery pack, by stripping the cigar plug off and wiring it into the ignition and then bumping the bloody thing.

No crank handle ?

4 hours ago, MJG said:

It one of the biggest scams going as I'm sure lots of people don't bother...

I was quite pleasantly surprised when Mrs WotEver took out her last contract including a new phone from O2 about 28 months ago. They split the bill in two, one for airtime and one for the device, and even took two separate direct debit payments. At the end of the 24 month contract the device payments ceased and they phoned her up to ask what she’d like to do moving forward for the airtime. She took out a £7/month sim only deal. 

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’m guessing that Heckington is pretty rural..

It is all comparative - we are a few miles from Heckington, but we are RURAL

From the 2011 Census - Heckington is one of the largest villages in Lincolnshire with almost 1500 houses and a population of almost 3500 (changes regularly)

We, on the other hand are 1.5 miles to the nearest neighbour, no footpaths, no streetlights, no Police, 12 miles to the nearest bank and 3 miles to the nearest Post office and Pub.

Our BT landline Broadband is under 2Mb, and after Schools kick-out we have been as low as 16K (the old dial up speed) (we are the last on the line of a 3 mile long copper cable and have been told we will NEVER get fibre) but I do get 3+ Mb using the hotspot on my 3-phone.

Most other providers have virtually no coverage in our area.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

20 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

2006 Vodafone mobile broadband, £3k per mb. Soon after setting it up and surfing for a while it stopped working, bloke in next boat had the same prob, turned out we had used up the £20 provided! 

Edit to correct: £3k per gb (£2.88 per mb at first, rising to £3) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43877267

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45799403

Vodafone are officially the worst phone supplier. Our two experiences with them were truly awful. I won’t go into all the details, but they tried to charge us over £500 to get out of a contract that was cancelled 1 day into their 14 day cooling off period. They had refused to port over our number without going to payg for 60 days, so we returned the phone to the store having never switched it on. It took weeks of wrangling for them to sort it. 

They also can be very reluctant to hand out PAC codes. 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43877267

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45799403

Vodafone are officially the worst phone supplier. Our two experiences with them were truly awful. I won’t go into all the details, but they tried to charge us over £500 to get out of a contract that was cancelled 1 day into their 14 day cooling off period. They had refused to port over our number without going to payg for 60 days, so we returned the phone to the store having never switched it on. It took weeks of wrangling for them to sort it. 

They also can be very reluctant to hand out PAC codes. 

Another example: I had a landline number in the cloud which was ported to my mobile. I’d had that for over 5 years and paid a monthly fee for the privilege. When I left Vodafone to move to Three (a procedure which they made far harder than it need have been) they disconnected the landline number immediately despite promising that it would stay ‘live’ for 30 days. This meant that I was unable to port the landline number to another provider - it was effectively ‘lost’. I had to amend our website, business cards, letterheads etc to show only my mobile number. Thanks, Vodafone!

Because of coverage issues we were forces to change from O2 to Vodafone  arranged to port our numbers and Vodafone 'lost" them, had the same number for over 25 years, we had the ag of memorizing new numbers and informing all interested parties , friends, banks etc etc

Phil