12v horn query

ppc

Featured Posts

Can anybody identify what sort of horn I need to attach to the horn mount (pictured)? It worked fine but got lifted passing under a tree! The base is there and the wiring is in tact. The horn attaches to a female thread 19mm in diameter at there base of which there appears to be a contact. Thanks

horn.jpg

I don't really understand what this si about. The photo looks like a horn, possibly with the tone plate missing, mounted on a steel bracket held in place with two cross head screws. I would expect the horn to fix to the bracket with a stud on the horn back and nut. The bracket should be spring steel but the one here looks like home fabricated mild steel or low grade stainless..

Any 12V horn will do and should come with anew sprung bracket. If you have a choice I would choose a low note one or a pair of high and low note but  from the looks of it I doubt the wiring is man enough for a pair.

6 minutes ago, ppc said:

Can anybody identify what sort of horn I need to attach to the horn mount (pictured)? It worked fine but got lifted passing under a tree! The base is there and the wiring is in tact. The horn attaches to a female thread 19mm in diameter at there base of which there appears to be a contact. Thanks

horn.jpg

I f you put a narrow hose clip around that threaded bit and tighten it gently to reform it, it'll probably screw back on. You could of course solder that break too.

To be clear, the trumpet part of the horn was pulled off and lost to the water. The question is what sort of horn should I buy that can simply be threaded on? I.e. what should I search for online? Do you know if the trumpet part can be purchased on its own, and if so will it work if screwed on and secured in place with e.g. a hose clip, as suggested? Thanks

3 minutes ago, ppc said:

To be clear, the trumpet part of the horn was pulled off and lost to the water. The question is what sort of horn should I buy that can simply be threaded on? I.e. what should I search for online? Do you know if the trumpet part can be purchased on its own, and if so will it work if screwed on and secured in place with e.g. a hose clip, as suggested? Thanks

Ah, I see, Can you not fold up a conical trumpet from a sheet of plastic. Stick it together and stick it on and paint it black.  Thing is boat hooters really need to sound different than vehicle hooters.

Edited by bizzard

I very much doubt that you an buy the trumpet. In fact I am surprised to see that thread, I would have expected a swagged joint these days.

I doubt any readily available 12V horn is really suitable for a boat volume wise so once again - any 12V horn will do but try to get a low note one if there is an option - often marked L

If you don't want to buy new talk to car scrap yards.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Or get a compressed gas horn. Boat wired for 12v one but couldn't find one i felt suited the boat. Had my gas one for 15 years , still on original gas canister. Of a morning it's tiller, pin, horn, part of setting off. Useful for alerting someone in any direction

7 minutes ago, Slim said:

Or get a compressed gas horn. Boat wired for 12v one but couldn't find one i felt suited the boat. Had my gas one for 15 years , still on original gas canister. Of a morning it's tiller, pin, horn, part of setting off. Useful for alerting someone in any direction

We bought one last month. Ordinary horns seem to be useless in that someone standing above a noisy engine 100 yards away is unlikely to hear it. 

19 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A trumpet could easily be folded up from a cornflake box and stuck on. If sealed well with paint it'll be surprising how long it lasts.

On my vintage Allegro most of the gaskets were made from cornflake boxes - most of them outlasted the car.

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

(snip)

I doubt any readily available 12V horn is really suitable for a boat volume wise so once again - any 12V horn will do but try to get a low note one if there is an option - often marked L

(snip)

A Stebel Nautilus (or one of the clones) is pretty loud, and reasonably priced.  

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/stebel-nautilus-compact-horn-black-p-3356.html

9 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

A Stebel Nautilus (or one of the clones) is pretty loud, and reasonably priced.  

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/stebel-nautilus-compact-horn-black-p-3356.html

I strongly suspect that the persent wiring will not be thick enough to do the job and running another pair of thick wires down the boat is likely not to be easy. maybe OK it there is a bow thruster battery that can feed the relay. Otherwise it will need a thick positive and negative wire relay or not. I note no current reading is given in the advert.