Cordless Screwdriver.

Featured Posts

After celebrating getting a cheapy workmate type workbench from Maplins for under a tenner, I was building it when I dropped my treasured Leccy screwy in t'oggin.

im very sad and disappointed in myself. What a first class nugget.

40 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

After celebrating getting a cheapy workmate type workbench from Maplins for under a tenner, I was building it when I dropped my treasured Leccy screwy in t'oggin.

im very sad and disappointed in myself. What a first class nugget.

If you fish it out and dry it off you may well find it’s no worse off for the dunking. But the battery might be defunct. 

Tried for ages (a long time) to find it, used magnet, long handled grabber. Short of sending wifey in,not much else I can do. And as you say, probably duff anyway.

B&Q not far away. A new Bosch IXO I think is in order.

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Tried for ages (a long time) to find it, used magnet, long handled grabber. Short of sending wifey in,not much else I can do. And as you say, probably duff anyway.

B&Q not far away. A new Bosch IXO I think is in order.

I think the performance of your new bosh will be a revelation. You'll be delighted you finally dropped the old one in the drink.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think the performance of your new bosh will be a revelation. You'll be delighted you finally dropped the old one in the drink.

They have been modified but I'm not convinced I'll be delighted at giving my old one a float test. But thanks for you words of encouragement 

I find these small cordless screwdrivers poor - even the Bosch ones - I noticed in Wickes to-day they were selling good 12V Bosch drills for £58 - a much more useful but of kit. Have used these for several years - much better.

3 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Best bit of kit I've bought is an impact driver, Dewalt in my case, they are great, no torque reaction to twist it out of your grasp, when I occasionaly use the matching drill on screws it's not a patch on the impact driver. 

Cheerfully agree with you, I bought a Bosch 12v one brilliant - No more chewed up screwheads.... they are well worth the money. Impressed with the size of screw they can drive.

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

Best bit of kit I've bought is an impact driver, Dewalt in my case, they are great, no torque reaction to twist it out of your grasp, when I occasionaly use the matching drill on screws it's not a patch on the impact driver. 

+1. I have and still occasionally use a 14.4V nicad one but the 18V Li-ion one is superb. 

With a hex to 1/2” drive coupled to a 19mm socket it’s even great for removing car wheel nuts. 

1 hour ago, LEO said:

I find these small cordless screwdrivers poor

Horses for courses... I have a little one that has a rotatable head and it’s great for stuff such as flat pack furniture, taking screws out of hinges to remove doors, kitchen work etc. Useless for any kind of construction though. 

No 1 son is a joiner and he’s been using an impact driver for years  I thought it was just typical modern laziness and quest for speed until I got a Bosch 18v job as part of a twin pack. Hardly ever use anything else now... really handy around the boat for shifting rusty screws and bolts   

You do need good bits and expect them to wear out / break so keep some handy....

5 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

You do need good bits and expect them to wear out / break so keep some handy....

It’s well worthwhile buying impact bits. Screwfix sell ‘em. 

49 minutes ago, WotEver said:

+1. I have and still occasionally use a 14.4V nicad one but the 18V Li-ion one is superb. 

With a hex to 1/2” drive coupled to a 19mm socket it’s even great for removing car wheel nuts. 

Don't fancy using it for that, I feel it's a bit too much for a 6mm hex drive. I have a 20 metre auto retract airline with a 1/2" air impact driver, nice hefty job from Aldi discount section, on checkout I was told it had a further discount, £6.99 in total! Well chuffed. 

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

If using sockets on a high torque impact driver then you must use impact sockets as the normal chrome shiny sockets can burst causing severe harm.  

Besides, it’s a waste of a socket...

46 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Found out the other day that B&Q and Screwfix are part of the same group.

Mark Goddard-Watts set up Screwfix and sold it for a fortune to B&Q

Then set up Toolstation, and sold that for another fortune to Travis Perkins

"That's the way to do it!", says Punch

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8990455/Mark-Goddard-Watts-secures-second-fortune-with-Toolstation-sale.html

Edited by Jennifer McM

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Good man. Surprised B&Q didn't have a covenant stopping him doing it again. If there isn't one in the Toolstation deal would that be a Travisty?

We thought that too. It was rather careless of the lawyers.

Good man. Surprised B&Q didn't have a covenant stopping him doing it again. If there isn't one in the Toolstation deal would that be a Travisty?

The two stores are run very differently, one massive the other in a small industrial unit.