Minworth embankment repair

nicknorman

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

It’s looking like CRT will have a stoppage to drain the pound again and sort it out. 16th -19th (ie next week) is the probable date. You are warned! But it had to be sorted out. Although of course it would have been better to get it right first time!

I probably will not be in the area then , but maybe the following week. I would like to have a look to see what they find. Is anyone in this forum going to be local?

20 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

I probably will not be in the area then , but maybe the following week. I would like to have a look to see what they find. Is anyone in this forum going to be local?

Yes if it wasn’t for the fact that I’ll be in Aberdeen I would make a visit to compare the scene with the photos I took when it was drained during the repair. But yes, if anyone else is in a position to go next week it would be very interesting to see some photos. I suppose it will take at least a day to drain the pound and do a fish rescue so probably Tuesday or Wednesday would be the time to visit.

48 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes if it wasn’t for the fact that I’ll be in Aberdeen I would make a visit to compare the scene with the photos I took when it was drained during the repair. But yes, if anyone else is in a position to go next week it would be very interesting to see some photos. I suppose it will take at least a day to drain the pound and do a fish rescue so probably Tuesday or Wednesday would be the time to visit.

How close can you get to it by car (and park)?

Just now, tree monkey said:

Very, I saw it when the section was originally drained, plenty of streetside parking, unfortunately I won't be around next week

I’ll see how my schedule pans out but I might be able to make a short road trip next week. 

23 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’ll see how my schedule pans out but I might be able to make a short road trip next week. 

The A38 runs right beside one side. It’s dual carriageway and 40 limit and a bit frantic, but there are a few places where you can pull off the road. Alternatively turn off over the bridge 100yds below lock 2 and you are into an industrial estate with another road that runs down the other side back towards the repair area (which is about 30 yds below the lock).

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

The A38 runs right beside one side. It’s dual carriageway and 40 limit and a bit frantic, but there are a few places where you can pull off the road. Alternatively turn off over the bridge 100yds below lock 2 and you are into an industrial estate with another road that runs down the other side back towards the repair area (which is about 30 yds below the lock).

Despite living in Birmingham and now Nuneaton I don’t know the area at all but thanks, I’ll check it out if I can. I’ll take a close look on Google maps and see if I can locate where you mean :)

46 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Despite living in Birmingham and now Nuneaton I don’t know the area at all but thanks, I’ll check it out if I can. I’ll take a close look on Google maps and see if I can locate where you mean :)

Red pin marks the spot!

5520573A-4393-4D37-8852-9E25AD2F80E2.png.de5b82ede04c942572e76d8f5da74a59.png

8FA617D1-F36B-4092-A618-97EE02844B35.png.ece6aa77a2d128920d31b6ebc1db2815.png

Birmingham & Fazeley Canal
Starts At: Lock 2, Minworth
Ends At: Lock 3, Minworth

Monday 26 March 2018 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction 
Reason: Repair

Update on 12/04/2018:

Due to the major problems experienced by our customers between Lock 2 and Lock 3 at Minworth, we have made the decision to close this section for 4 days next week to allow us to carry out a thorough investigation and undertake any works required within the section dewatered.  We cannot apologise enough for the inconvenience caused but feel we have to get this problem resolved.

The closure will start 18:00 Sunday 15th April and will run until 18:00 Thursday 19thApril.  The 4 days are to allow for dewatering, fish rescue, inspection and any work required and then a re-water.

Again, we sincerely apologise to all our customers and colleagues

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Birmingham & Fazeley Canal
Starts At: Lock 2, Minworth
Ends At: Lock 3, Minworth

Monday 26 March 2018 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction 
Reason: Repair

Update on 12/04/2018:

Due to the major problems experienced by our customers between Lock 2 and Lock 3 at Minworth, we have made the decision to close this section for 4 days next week to allow us to carry out a thorough investigation and undertake any works required within the section dewatered.  We cannot apologise enough for the inconvenience caused but feel we have to get this problem resolved.

The closure will start 18:00 Sunday 15th April and will run until 18:00 Thursday 19thApril.  The 4 days are to allow for dewatering, fish rescue, inspection and any work required and then a re-water.

Again, we sincerely apologise to all our customers and colleagues

A good response from CART eh :)

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

A good response from CART eh :)

Do you count yourself as a "Customer" or a "Colleague"?  I suppose I'm a customer since I buy a licence, but those terms do sound rather more Supermarket than Navigation Authority.

30 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Do you count yourself as a "Customer" or a "Colleague"?  I suppose I'm a customer since I buy a licence, but those terms do sound rather more Supermarket than Navigation Authority.

I'm a customer innitt :D

33 minutes ago, WotEver said:

So if they’re closing it Sunday evening and opening it Thursday evening do we all think that Tuesday will be the time to see it drained but not yet fixed?

Monday morning to see the fish rescue would interesting. 

How long is the pound they need to drain? A few hundred yards?

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

So if they’re closing it Sunday evening and opening it Thursday evening do we all think that Tuesday will be the time to see it drained but not yet fixed?

Yes I’d say so. As it happens, it’s looking like Jeff is going to drive down to the boat on Saturday and may have a look too. So if you see a red mini with white bonnet stripes and a Union Jack on the roof, you could say hello!

33 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes I’d say so. As it happens, it’s looking like Jeff is going to drive down to the boat on Saturday and may have a look too. So if you see a red mini with white bonnet stripes and a Union Jack on the roof, you could say hello!

:offtopic:

But if it aint on the sharp end of a Liz Windsor  boat it is a Union FLAG.

Back n topic.....

Good to see CaRT sorting this out but you're right, it shouldn't have happenend in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

:offtopic:

But if it aint on the sharp end of a Liz Windsor  boat it is a Union FLAG.

Back n topic.....

Good to see CaRT sorting this out but you're right, it shouldn't have happenend in the first place.

Hmmmmm, from Wikipedia (which, as we know, is always right):

it is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. In 1908, a government minister stated, in response to a parliamentary question, that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag"

Just now, nicknorman said:

Hmmmmm, from Wikipedia (which, as we know, is always right):

it is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. In 1908, a government minister stated, in response to a parliamentary question, that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag"

Well as you were around there then Nick I bow to your superior knowledge.

:P

56 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

If I make it I’ll keep an eye out for him.