Thoughts on this boat please folks.

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Once you have looked at a "bigger boat" its easy to see the benefits immediately. Its not until the thing needs licensing/blacking/painting/turning/mooring that the drawbacks become apparent:)

I find most of those drawbacks are not that much difference and well worth the small extra cost for the extra space. The worst one on your list is as you say at vms cos nearly every boat has half the steel missing so when they leave there is not enough space for anything other than another tiddler :mellow:

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I find most of those drawbacks are not that much difference and well worth the small extra cost for the extra space. The worst one on your list is as you say at vms cos nearly every boat has half the steel missing so when they leave there is not enough space for anything other than another tiddler :mellow:

We started off with a 70ft,and have not lived on smaller,so have nothing to compare it to.

I guess you will get used to whatever size you buy if its your first boat,but any narrowboat will likely be a lot smaller than even a small flat.

Rule 1 .Never let your mrs go on a bigger boat than yours after you have bought it.

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

We started off with a 70ft,and have not lived on smaller,so have nothing to compare it to.

I guess you will get used to whatever size you buy if its your first boat,but any narrowboat will likely be a lot smaller than even a small flat.

Rule 1 .Never let your mrs go on a bigger boat than yours after you have bought it.

Our first was 56 feet and we loved it. our others have been 42, 57, 65 and 70 and one widebeam of 50, This one is 68 narrowbeam. By FAR the widebeam is the best to live on but we dont need to go into why we sold it it was something to do with getting stuck in narrow locks!! and losing too much of the UK system. The layout is key for good living but it is simply impossible to get a quart into a pint pot!!

7 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I think 60 or just under up will be perfect... we will be on K&A and GU so no length restrictions i know of there??? Just northern and birmingham isnt it?

Brumingham is fine for a whole boat. Its realy only the L and L and a couple of tiny bits in Yorkshire. If you are staying way down south go and look at a whole boat and see the very valuable extra space and they cost about the same to purchase as tiddly boats. A bit extra to run but outweighed by the huge benefits.

Your first boat may not be your last try a cheapie first then move up,

1980 45 foot colecraft

1982 wooden topped butty

1984 unconverted motor to play along

2000 fully converted station boat 70

2011 55 ft cut down town class motor with 10 foot cabin extension

now looking for a decent 60ft tug to go with it

i should point out they all cost me loads of money je ne regrette  rien apart from selling them to move to the next

17 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

And don't some of those small boats just hate being asked to budge up a bit so you can get in?   Even moan about being bullied when you ask them politely.

Now I have a mere 25ft I will try hard to be more helpful.

1 hour ago, JamesFrance said:

And don't some of those small boats just hate being asked to budge up a bit so you can get in?   Even moan about being bullied when you ask them politely.

Now I have a mere 25ft I will try hard to be more helpful.

It's terrible when them big boats plonk themselves right in the middle.

IMG_20171029_140313292.jpg.718f53c8b0033acb17c2edb9e194d9ba.jpg

On 3/21/2018 at 11:04, Mike the Boilerman said:

Begs the question given how young it is, why does it has an ST3? Were they still making them in 2005? I rather doubt it. 

ST3's were in production from 1972-1983, with STW3s from 1977-91, according to http://www.realdiesels.co.uk/identify/builddates.jpg .

On 3/21/2018 at 11:04, Mike the Boilerman said:

Perfectly good engine though, if you don't mind the tinitus 

Quite. Belfast has an ST3 , and it is indeed noisy!

Okay so we whent to see lady melisa

https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/4146.aspx

It is in very good condition inside i must say with all nice solid wood. No signs of mould inside at all. Very dry engine bay but what looks like corrosion on the surface? Small amount of oil residue in engine bay but no pooling of oil at all.

Has got 6000 hours on the engine and full service history to 2010 then been self serviced. Thoughts on hours etc?

Everything worked fine paint is a tad jaded but im sure a buffer will restore it a bit. Small corrosion around the rope ties on the roof but thats it for rust.

Lists slightly to starboard but not tooooo concerned as checked under the floor and the base plate is bone dry. No insulation their i could see.....normal?

The boat smelt fine no damp smells and started up straight away.

Biggest thing for me was the seals around the windows were not great and have shown signs of leaking....how big a job is it to replace the rubbers or will i have to strip them out and start again?

Both cratch and stern covers need replacing soonish

So what will be the rough cost for new covers and window repairs? 4 port holes and 5 standard windows?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

22 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Okay so we whent to see lady melisa

https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/4146.aspx

It is in very good condition inside i must say with all nice solid wood. No signs of mould inside at all. Very dry engine bay but what looks like corrosion on the surface? Small amount of oil residue in engine bay but no pooling of oil at all.

Has got 6000 hours on the engine and full service history to 2010 then been self serviced. Thoughts on hours etc?

Everything worked fine paint is a tad jaded but im sure a buffer will restore it a bit. Small corrosion around the rope ties on the roof but thats it for rust.

Lists slightly to starboard but not tooooo concerned as checked under the floor and the base plate is bone dry. No insulation their i could see.....normal?

The boat smelt fine no damp smells and started up straight away.

Biggest thing for me was the seals around the windows were not great and have shown signs of leaking....how big a job is it to replace the rubbers or will i have to strip them out and start again?

Both cratch and stern covers need replacing soonish

So what will be the rough cost for new covers and window repairs? 4 port holes and 5 standard windows?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If the windows have been leaking they will need taking out and replacing. This depending on how fitted can be very easy or a total pain int butt but is deffo DIY if you want it to be. Water in the back is nowt nor is a bit of surface corrosion its a used boat. The list could be somett or nowt and could well be a badly positioned pumpout tank thats to one side and kindly been left full for the new owner? Its still too much money. 6000 hours is just about run in for that engine.

I think that because the pump out is empty it lists a bit its nothing major major but you can feel it....could not test taps etc as its winterised at present. Going to offer 55k......thinks its a fair price.....

Did turn the water pumps on and they ran continuose for a good 30 secs as no water pressure i think....didnt want to burn them out. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

I'm not knocking it, but it still amazes me that relatively new boats now appear to be an appreciating asset like a house.

This was never the case when we first bought ours, but can see why it has happened.

I can't really - are new ones in short supply, perhaps?

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I'm not knocking it, but it still amazes me that relatively new boats now appear to be an appreciating asset like a house.

This was never the case when we first bought ours, but can see why it has happened.

In owning boats for 30+ years I have only ever sold one for less than its 'cost' (purchase price + maintenance cost). I do not include things like Insurance, mooring and licence as these are pretty much 'cost of boating'.

2 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Its the influx of people like me wanting to try to make this work that is driving up prices i think.....

It is indeed partly that :) 

One the boat you’ve just viewed, the front and back covers will be quite pricey to replace, others here will be able to tell you from more recent experience than me, just how costly.

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

One the boat you’ve just viewed, the front and back covers will be quite pricey to replace, others here will be able to tell you from more recent experience than me, just how costly.

I reckon 3k.....?

4 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Its the influx of people like me wanting to try to make this work that is driving up prices i think.....

£60K is a bit steep! That's 10% higher than last years prices when we bought ours. It is a sellers market though. Our local broker is crying out for boats to sell. A queue of buyers drives up prices. The fact that is one has been reduced by £10K says it was well over priced in a sellers market.....so is probably still overpriced. When we were looking this time last year, I would have said £50K based on the advert and your description.

3 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I reckon 3k.....?

We had our cratch cover replaced in December - it was £1200. About the same size as the one you are looking at.

8 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Thats exactly the kind of thing I mean. The asking price 5 years ago was what OP is thinking of offering now,yet the covers now have had 5 years more useage,which he has suggested need replacing.

Edited by rusty69