Dunchurch pools marina coming along

Bewildered

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

What can they do? Shout at you?  If they do, glance at your wrist and shout back "Quarter past three!"

I would have thought that the area under the marina's jurisdiction would have started on the marina's side of the entrance. If that is the case, then surely they can't stop you winding in the entrance, as long as you don't enter their marina nor cause any damage.

32 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I would have thought that the area under the marina's jurisdiction would have started on the marina's side of the entrance. If that is the case, then surely they can't stop you winding in the entrance, as long as you don't enter their marina nor cause any damage.

I would suggest its their side of the towpath, that would be their land then.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would suggest its their side of the towpath, that would be their land then.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that the marina's jurisdiction is on the "marina" side of the towpath? The towpath has just been repositioned to go over the new entrance bridge as shown in the pics (or will be when the bridge is opened) My thoughts are that the "canal" side of the towpath should be accessible to any boater. By moving the towpath slightly, the marina entrance has now created a winding hole. Hasn't it?  I'm sure someone will be along to give me the legalities of it all. I'd be interested to find out.

On 14/07/2017 at 21:01, MrBeethoven said:

I was told today, by someone who moors at Barby, that Dunchurch Pools have now put out the no turning signs by their whacking great V-shaped entrance.

Are these official CRT signs with CRT logos on them?

If not I'd say Dunchurch can spin on it, so to speak. They have made the navigation wide enough to turn so why not use it? My view is there is no obligation to obey their signs unless they have drawn a line on the water which you must not cross, provided you stay in the navigation and don't don't strike their shiny new concrete bank as you turn.

I too would be be interested to hear Nigel's opinion on this. I can see why the marina don't want boats turning there but I doubt they have any jurisdiction over boats out on the cut crossing their boundary line whilst remaining afloat on CRT water.

P.S. It's a really HUGE entrance triangle that's been constructed, for those who haven't seen it. Much larger than any other marina entrance I've ever seen. One could probably turn a 50ft boat there in one!

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

What can they do? Shout at you?  If they do, glance at your wrist and shout back "Quarter past three!"

Indeed!

However, the last time I wanted to turn at Barby, and head back to Braunston earlier than planned due to heavy rain, I had a 4yo grandchild on the boat. In those circumstances I did not want Mr or Mrs Miserable effing and blinding at us.

Regarding Dunchurch Pools, the entrance is huge and, as long as I don´t screw it up (wouldn´t be the 1st time!), I should easily be able to do a one point turn with my 45 footer.

And that is exactly what I will do (attempt) next time I want to head north from Braunston but not as far as the official winding hole before Hillmorton.

Edited by MrBeethoven
Remove unexpected duplication.

I came past Yelvertoft marina on the Leicestershire Line today, and that has one of the wacking great V entrances, but it has CRT badged signs that say "no mooring or turning".  So either the marina are getting signs made up to look like official CRT ones or it is actually CRT policy not to allow turning in these new big marina entrances, which seems a great shame.

Another approach would be to decide to cruise into the marina (for diesel or whatever), then change your mind as you turn in because you've realised you've left your wallet behind. So you'll have to reverse back out to go back and get it....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I came past Yelvertoft marina on the Leicestershire Line today, and that has one of the wacking great V entrances, but it has CRT badged signs that say "no mooring or turning".  So either the marina are getting signs made up to look like official CRT ones or it is actually CRT policy not to allow turning in these new big marina entrances, which seems a great shame.

Yes, it is a great shame. Shameful even, there are few enough turning places as it is so I think CRT should make it a condition of allowing a new marina that boaters are allowed to turn there. If that happens to run the risk of damage to the marina entrance then should be a cost of doing business. If they build the entrance big enough the risk should be reduced.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Another approach would be to decide to cruise into the marina (for diesel or whatever), then change your mind as you turn in because you've realised you've left your wallet behind. So you'll have to reverse back out to go back and get it....

I can be a bit thick at times so I might simply assume that no turning means you must not go into the marina just to turn.

Nothing wrong with turning in the canal in front of the entrance though.

• Greenie 1

On 15/07/2017 at 18:15, MrBeethoven said:

thick at times so I might simply assume that no turning means you must not go into the marina just to turn.

Nothing wrong with turning in the canal in front of the entrance though.

A most excellent misinterpretation!

Greenie.

7 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that the marina's jurisdiction is on the "marina" side of the towpath? The towpath has just been repositioned to go over the new entrance bridge as shown in the pics (or will be when the bridge is opened) My thoughts are that the "canal" side of the towpath should be accessible to any boater. By moving the towpath slightly, the marina entrance has now created a winding hole. Hasn't it?  I'm sure someone will be along to give me the legalities of it all. I'd be interested to find out.

I would say that the marina owns the land up to their side of where the towpath was, unless they have handed that to CRT, which of course like the rest of you I don't know

52 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would say that the marina owns the land up to their side of where the towpath was, unless they have handed that to CRT, which of course like the rest of you I don't know

Expanding upon my misinterpretation of earlier, I don't know why marinas with large entrances on the towpath side, such as Dunchurch Pools, bother putting out no turning signs.

Surely not many people are going to take their boat into the marina to turn when there is now such a lovely wide bit of canal outside the marina. Obviously when the marina chose to move the towpath further over they forfeited the right to claim ownership of the water on the canal side of the newly positioned towpath.

Edited by MrBeethoven
to unjumble some words

A couple of points about this.

1) There are plenty of boaters about who make a right fist of turning and hit the concrete banking. I fully sympathise with marina owners getting fed up with this, hence the signs.

2) The majority of ordinary boaters feel a pressure to comply with signs just as they feel a pressure to comply with the licence T&Cs, even though might know neither are enforceable.

3) If you conduct the turn efficiently and neatly, I doubt the marina would realise or even notice you are reversing back out of their entrance in time to run down to the entrance and remonstrate with you before you are off and on your way back up down the cut.

Are these marinas not there for boats ? if entrance is properly designed then there should be no damage to the entrance sides most damage i have seen has been from the marinas own 

boaters .

Edited by b0atman

28 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Are these marinas not there for boats ? if entrance is properly designed then there should be no damage to the entrance sides most damage i have seen has been from the marinas own 

boaters .

I agree. I'm not sure I sympathise too much with marina owners over this. It surely can't be beyond them to design the entrance to incorporate a bit of protection to minimise damage from both turning boats as well as their own customers.

• 1 month later...

found these pics on line , looks like they are turning this into a really nice looking marina, and unlike some others they don't seem to be squeezing in the moorings like sardines.  Does anyone know how much they are charging? and if they are doing any deals?

59a02d2310dc2_DunchurchPools170820.jpg.45cd32f2b1e5b2f77e8c529b187b07ca.jpg59a02d32691d3_CentralPool170810b.jpg.791f7b5ce7981ffd89ffa8ec5b288e11.jpg

By some strange coincidence, while passing through Hawkesbury Junction today, I bumped into the boaters I met on, or returning from, the Thames a few weeks ago and who had misinformed me (it seems) about the No Turning signs.

They are at Barby Moorings and have been in touch with Dunchurch Pools marina. Apparently they were offered a very good deal but have decided to stay put anyway.

It's probably worth giving the Marina a call while they still have plenty of vacancies if you might be interested.

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I think this should become a pinned topic then we can all borrow the friend when we need help with locks or someone to buy the next round.

Great idea Matty. Perhaps we need to create a spreadsheet to sort out his allocation.