What else can go wrong?

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

I could have bought a new (well, new old, if you see what I mean) boat for what I've spent in the last five or six years. Though you have to balance that against the fact it cost me virtually nothing in the previous twenty five.

You and me both. I added up my receipts for repairs and unscheduled maintenance in the last 3-4 years and they came to over £35k

For all that Arthur you still love the boat. Right?

Absolutely. Been part of my life for nearly half of it, saved my sanity by letting me get away from musicians every now and then, and been my home for a couple of years when various (mostly marital!) disasters struck. Can't imagine life without it.

After 4 years, I stopped keeping receipts as it scared me witless. I don't count the receipts at home, nor with the car, except in that case, I evaluate each significant expenditure at the time, and drop it if I think it excessive. As the boat gets older, obviously costs increase, but you weigh up the benefits vs costs and take your choice. Unlike many, I don't count my boat as an asset in the strict sense of the word, reasoning I have had its value in enjoyment. When the time comes I can no longer afford it or manage it, then whatever I get will be a bonus, and I'll still have the memories.

Has your toilet exploded yet? Even a bucket and chuck it can split in cold weather.

Reminds me of a couple who had never boated before and bought a widebeam as a retirement home. Spoke to them one day and they told me that they had a poo explosion with their macerator toilet spewing the contents of the holding tank all over the bathroom. They hadn't realised that you had to empty it from time to time, took them all day to restore order and the heads were never the same after that.

They moved to a marina with pumpout facilities not long after.(3 hours to the one nearest to us)

Phil

Absolutely. Been part of my life for nearly half of it, saved my sanity by letting me get away from musicians every now and then, and been my home for a couple of years when various (mostly marital!) disasters struck. Can't imagine life without it.

Nothing wrong with musicians. Now drummers - that's different but then they're not really musicians.

Nothing wrong with musicians. Now drummers - that's different but then they're not really musicians.

Are you sure - Arthur plays the trombone. That's as close to percussion as makes no difference. Only brass players get to the pub first as it takes less time to get out the venue

Richard

Are you sure - Arthur plays the trombone. That's as close to percussion as makes no difference. Only brass players get to the pub first as it takes less time to get out the venue

Richard

Ah, but I tell brass players I'm really a fiddle player, fiddle players I'm a guitarist, guitarists that I'm an accordionist...

Must be a very old boat then! smile.png

I think it must be getting on for sixty years old now (well, the horn, headlight & engine are). I passed that landmark a bit ago...

Edited by Arthur Marshall

Our son plays bass and trombone and when he was younger we took him to the bands various engagements. The amount of gear the percussionists have is huge, but they always seemed to have a girlfriend in tow to cart it all in and out again.