lock etiquette

NbPlod

Featured Posts

Stupid newbie asking obvious question. When leaving a lock should I shut all gates behind me or leave them open ( assuming no other boat is in sight)?

It depends on the nature of the waterway. On a canalised river you can normally leave the exit gate open, although there are exceptions such as the Nene. On canals you should shut them to avoid water loss / low pounds as a result of leaks or failure to fully close a paddle.

Have a read of CRT's "boater's handbook" that gives you lots of this type of info.

There will now be 25 pages of lazy selfish people trying to justify why they can't be bothered to close the gates on canals.

Edited by nicknorman

Seems to me it's the luck of the draw if the next crew is blessing you or blaspheming, depending on which way they're travelling. As for leaks, all gates leak, it's unlikely that one set will be leak proof. Still, if the CRT wants them shut, that's what I'll do. All praise the Holy CRT for its many blessings.

Seems to me it's the luck of the draw if the next crew is blessing you or blaspheming, depending on which way they're travelling. As for leaks, all gates leak, it's unlikely that one set will be leak proof. Still, if the CRT wants them shut, that's what I'll do. All praise the Holy CRT for its many blessings.

The locks will be against. Law of Sod.

As for leaks, all gates leak, it's unlikely that one set will be leak proof.

One set will always leak less than the other, so closing both reduces the leakage.

Also many inexperienced boaters (and some with experience) may not shut a padel completely - so gives two changes of getting this right. Quite often a short pound will get low because of this.

Also gates and padels get debris in them quite often and leak significantly - again two chances.

Stupid newbie asking obvious question. When leaving a lock should I shut all gates behind me or leave them open ( assuming no other boat is in sight)?

But if there is another approaching boat in sight, and it happens to be Nicknorman then - definitely shut the gates - but only at the very last minute - then read about it here - and the rest of the posts for official advice

• Greenie 2

The real difficulty is when two boats arrive together from opposite sides.

One skippered by an optimist and the other a pessimist, who can't agree if the lock is half empty or half full.

smile.png For certain people that would be pistols at dawn on the towpath biggrin.png

ETA Why is it always at dawn :)

Edited by Geo

I've always presumed because duelling was illegal and it was before the police woke up. I do like a tangent.

lol You have got my mind going smile.png

I can see your logic. The thought just came could it be there was a better chance of the duelists being sober and thus better able to aim and shoot or wield a sword more effectively having just risen from their beds.

Edited by Geo

I've always presumed because duelling was illegal and it was before the police woke up. I do like a tangent.

I thought it was because Dawn was lazy and deserves to be shot. It's a bit like the unnecessary over zealous prosecution of that hard put upon chap Bill Posters.

As for firing at poor Will !!!

lol You have got my mind going smile.png

I can see your logic. The thought just came could it be there was a better chance of the duelists being sober and thus better able to aim and shoot or wield a sword more effectively having just risen from their beds.

If I knew I was fighting a duel at dawn, I'd be unlikely to sleep much that night!

Or text your opponent explaining there has been a mix-up over dates. Tell him it was yesterday and as he didn't turn up, you won by default!

Look, it's not you, it's me...

Oh, that's a different text.

If I knew I was fighting a duel at dawn, I'd be unlikely to sleep much that night!

lol From all the films they spent their evening and nights well inebriated and passed out till the dawn