Boatman stove issue.

Rickent

Featured Posts

I have had my Boatman for 12 months now and have had no problems,but this morning on the coldest morning so far i am getting smoke leaking out through the air wash wheel.

It is coming out even when the wheel is shut tight.I am assuming that it could be a blockage of some sort in the flue, if it is not,any ideas what is causing this.

Probably a blockage or restriction. Take the plate at the top of the fire box out and make sure there is not a pile of ash sitting on top of it blocking the flue. Run a knife or something around the flue hole. I've done this before and if you are quick and are wearing a glove you can do it while the fire is burning.

If you are just lighting the fire it might simply be that the flue is cold and the smoke is not hot enough to rise up it. Had this happen before too.

The stove was on overnight but we usually fill it with coal but last night we used wood.

When i got up this morning the stove was alight (just) so i put some more wood on and could see the smoke leaking out through the airwash. I did notice that the flue was cold from about the mid point.

I have shut off all the air supply and will take out the baffle plate when cold, clean it and then sweep the chimney.

I have had my Boatman for 12 months now and have had no problems,but this morning on the coldest morning so far i am getting smoke leaking out through the air wash wheel.

It is coming out even when the wheel is shut tight.I am assuming that it could be a blockage of some sort in the flue, if it is not,any ideas what is causing this.

Is this a new problem or has it always done it? Mine doesn't do it and nor should yours.

As has already been said, it indicates the flue is blocked. Probably a pile of soot on top of the baffle plate.

It hasn't done it before. I always keep the airwash closed overnight as it stops the fire burning too much . It would have to happen on the coldest morning. Will update in an hour or so when i have had a chance to have a look.

ETA I have burnt a lot more wood this year .

Edited by Rickent

Burning a mixture of wood and coal, especially slowly will cause the flue pipe to become caked inside with a lining of hard clinker. Brushing it will remove soot but might not shift the clag. Ideally it needs to be cold as the fire tends to keep it moist and sticky. I shift the clag with a tough wire brush screwed to a stick and go at it like a demon. You can buy steel wire flue brushes. Tapping the pipe on the inside all around with a hammer helps to dislodge the clag.

Burning a mixture of wood and coal, especially slowly will cause the flue pipe to become caked inside with a lining of hard clinker. Brushing it will remove soot but might not shift the clag. Ideally it needs to be cold as the fire tends to keep it moist and sticky. I shift the clag with a tough wire brush screwed to a stick and go at it like a demon. You can buy steel wire flue brushes. Tapping the pipe on the inside all around with a hammer helps to dislodge the clag.

Helps give you tinnitus too, so wear earplugs. Never mind expensive 'ear defenders', bits of screwed up bog roll jammed into your ears works almost as well. Just don't forget they are there when you go out to the shops later.

Helps give you tinnitus too, so wear earplugs. Never mind expensive 'ear defenders', bits of screwed up bog roll jammed into your ears works almost as well. Just don't forget they are there when you go out to the shops later.

Excellent earplugs can be made with silicone. When it sets in the tubes cone nozzle, as it always does, no matter how carefully you bung it up. Poke the cured silicone out from the small end of the nozzle. You will have earplugs of an ideal shape to fit the lug holes. Different colours are available. clear, white, black also red for hot ears.. They remain quite soft and are gentle to the ears and will soften the most irritating noises.

These free-be cones of silicon have many other useful uses, like blocking up hole in sinking boats for example.

Edited by bizzard

Just took the baffle plate off and quite a bit of crud on top.

Ran the brush through the chimney and lots of wet sticky crud came out top and bottom.

Just re lit the fire and all looks well. With the door slightly ajar the fire roars up the chimney.

It was a cold morning without the stove but the central heating made it comfortable whilst the stove was off. If any newbies or potential boat owners are reading this,it brings home how important it is to have at least two ways to heat your boat.

I have just about given up burning wood on my stove, a Stovax Brunel 1A. It is such a pain getting the baffle plate out that I now just burn mostly coal, with a bit of wood sometimes if it is running hard. I've always used well-seasoned wood, but running the stove fairly slowly most of the time the wood would just cause too much rubbish in the flue and on top of the baffle plate.

Excellent earplugs can be made with silicone. When it sets in the tubes cone nozzle, as it always does, no matter how carefully you bung it up. Poke the cured silicone out from the small end of the nozzle. You will have earplugs of an ideal shape to fit the lug holes. Different colours are available. clear, white, black also red for hot ears.. They remain quite soft and are gentle to the ears and will soften the most irritating noises.

These free-be cones of silicon have many other useful uses, like blocking up hole in sinking boats for example.

Actually there is an better way. Poke some clingfilm down each lug hole then get a mate to squirt a hefty wodge of silicone into each ear, inside the clingfilm. Wait for it to set then pull each custom-fitted earplug out, relying on the clingfilm to have prevented the silicone from sticking to the inside of yer lug holes.

I have a pair of custom made musicians' earplugs made this way, but they cost me £180. Was I mugged or what!!

our wood burner (for the house) uses 10 inch cast pipe for it's flue (yes it really does need to be that big) and as a result of burning chipboard offcuts gets a layer of tar building up inside it (up to 2 inches thick if left)

about once a month I pull out the baffle plate and stack a couple of sheets of wood so that when they light they funnel everything straight from the air intake at the front to the flue at the back, the result is usually a couple of pops followed by a loud roaring for about 20 minutes.

looking at the flue outside usually shows a foot high cone of flames (looks and sounds like a jet engine) as it burns out everything in the flue.

Why not just squirt a bit of silicone down your lugs and then it will cure to fit

Edited by ditchcrawler

You must lose a lot of heat up the chimney.I thought that was the reason a stove had a baffle, to make it more efficient a d not chuck all the heat upwards.

So Google says but as the stove has never had one from new I wouldn't know. From Northern Fabrications website they imply that the baffle is a recent addition so I guess the OPs stove must be fairly new if he has a plate.