RCR Rescue Narrowboat on the Trent

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Last time we were on the Trent we helped pull a couples narrowboat off a corner as they had cut it too fine. I think it was an ebbing tide too (although may be wrong).

The Rivers are a great place to visit but require a bit more planning than your average canal journey.

Last time we were on the Trent we helped pull a couples narrowboat off a corner as they had cut it too fine. I think it was an ebbing tide too (although may be wrong).

The Rivers are a great place to visit but require a bit more planning than your average canal journey.

This is on the non tidal Trent.

They have missed the entrance to the Nottingham Canal and continued up the non navigable Trent, almost making it to Beeston Weir, which isn't a bad effort!

This is on the non tidal Trent.

They have missed the entrance to the Nottingham Canal and continued up the non navigable Trent, almost making it to Beeston Weir, which isn't a bad effort!

We once got nearly caught out there, by not keeping far enough to the left (there are signs to warn you to rolleyes.gif ) we just cleared the end of the lock landing to pass the correct side. I can imagine that if you do get the wrong side the pull of the current would easily pull lots of boats towards the weir.

The moral of the tale is not to cut the corner and keep well over to the left particularly if there is a strong current flowing on the river. (though I'm not saying this boat did what we did).

There is from memory a floating barrier but presumably this boat managed to ride it.

Edited by MJG

We once got nearly caught out there, by not keeping far enough to the left (there are signs to warn you to rolleyes.gif ) we just cleared the end of the lock landing to pass the correct side. I can imagine that if you do get the wrong side the pull of the current would easily pull lots of boats towards the weir.

The moral of the tale is not to cut the corner and keep well over to the left particularly if there is a strong current flowing on the river. (though I'm not saying this boat did what we did).

There is from memory a floating barrier but presumably this boat managed to ride it.

No. They have come up the non navigable river the other way!

Looking at the photos it seems as though they were heading upstream, so I imagine the turn they missed wasn't Trent Lock but the one at the other end of Nottingham - off the Trent at Meadow Lane, opposite the City Ground and just before Trent Bridge.

Correct.

So they ignored the very obvious canal entrance, passed under Trent Bridge and the other ones in the city, and travelled two or three miles up river. Jeez they were lost!

Just measured it on Google Earth. Nearly 4.5 miles from the lock to the weir at Beeston along the non navigable river!

How did they not notice they had gone wrong?

It amazes me how people can get caught out. We often visit a popular Norfolk sea side town where a siren is sounded everytime the tide is coming in to warn people. On a regular basis the lifeboat is called out because the people have been cut off by the tide.

It must be a couple of miles fro, Nottingham up to the weir at Beeston. How could they have failed to notice their mistake?!

It is actualy navigable. There is a channel if you know where it is for very shallow draughted stuff such as narrowboats. Even stuff of 4 feet plus can get quite a way under and along from Trent bridge.

Tim

It is actualy navigable. There is a channel if you know where it is for very shallow draughted stuff such as narrowboats. Even stuff of 4 feet plus can get quite a way under and along from Trent bridge.

Tim

We have been part way up it by dinghy. Didn't realise we could get all the way to the weir though. It was getting a little shallow in places.

Might have to try again.

We have been part way up it by dinghy. Didn't realise we could get all the way to the weir though. It was getting a little shallow in places.

Might have to try again.

Yeah you can but it does of course vary depending on water levels which as you know can be varied quite substantialy on that section especialy by the sluices at Holme pierrpoint. Its a nice trip with the right levels but of course is advised quite correctly as non navigable by CART etc though its not actualy under CARTS duristiction.

Tim

How would they know they were going the wrong way if they have never been that way before after missing the turnoff and signs. From the photo it looks quite a wide river up to the weir?

Having missed the lock signs there probably wouldn't be any other signs.

It isn't navigable so why should there be signs? Boats wouldn't usually be up there further then the moorings area.

Been up there a few times, albeit in rowing boats, racing the Head of the Trent- starting up towards the weir, racing back through Nottingham, and finishing towards Holme Pierrepont- the wind tunnel cunningly disguised as a rowing lake.

Lovely bit of our system though innitt.

Tim