Urban Myth - Waterfront Dudley No. 1

pearley

Featured Posts

Moored at Merryfield last winter, another boater said I could moor there for as long as I wished as the canal belonged to Westfield/Intu and not CRT. Yeah right, I thought and ignored him.

Now, on Facebook, there is a thread about moorings where you don't need a CRT cruising or mooring licence and once again someone has stated that the rebuilt stretch of the Dudley No 1 from the Waterfront to Delph doesn't belong to CRT but to Intu.

I say this is rubbish.

Edited by pearley

Moored at Merryfield last winter, another boater said I could moor there for as long as I wished as the canal belonged to Westfield/Intu and not CRT. Yeah right, I thought and ignored him.

Now, on Facebook, there is a thread about moorings where you don't need a CRT cruising or mooring licence and once again someone has stated that the rebuilt stretch of the Dudley No 1 from the Waterfront to Delph doesn't belong to CRT but to Intu.

I say this is rubbish.

Are you SURE it is another boater and not the same one?

Sounds highly unlikely to me too, but now it is on FB we can expect a line of CMers there trying their luck for a few months, I predict!

I think it is the land up to the canal that is owned by INTU

There was a floating market held there this summer. One of the cafe boats put some chairs, tables, and sun shades out on the grass at the top of the slope. INTU asked for them to be removed and the floating market organiser had no choice but to comply

If I could moor for as long as I liked at Merry Hill, it would still be less than 10 minutes.

Yes my opinion too. I can't imagine a more bleak and soulless place to stop. Odd, give the way it is surrounded by so many interesting and historic canal sites.

Very nice views if you look leftish over the top of the shopping centre.

It can also be morbidly fascinating to look at what goes on in the huuuuuuge car park

Edited by Barry

I say this is rubbish.

These kind of works works normally involve a 'Land Transfer' where in this case the developer gives the land to BW. The last thing the Shopping Centre owner will want is ownership of the canal with all it's maintenance liabilities.

Tim

There was a floating market held there this summer. One of the cafe boats put some chairs, tables, and sun shades out on the grass at the top of the slope. INTU asked for them to be removed and the floating market organiser had no choice but to comply

True, but the traders had stalls and tables/chairs on the towpath next to their boats, indicating INTU had no jurisdiction there.

True, but the traders had stalls and tables/chairs on the towpath next to their boats, indicating INTU had no jurisdiction there.

You mean they took their stuff off the grass and put it on the towpath?

Similar to Banbury I would guess in that respect.