Foxton. Grrrrrrrrr.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Its a shame though that it cant be left to the boaters, but thats a whole different issue,it saddens me how some supposedly experienced boaters have such little motivation to learn how to do things properly. Just a general observation nick not meant as a slight on your skills!!

I'd much rather we were left to get on with it. I suppose that in the case of Foxton there is a hire fleet just down the road in Market Harborough basin - the blue Canaltime ones - that seem to be hired mostly to first timers. I suppose if they came across Foxton as their first ever locks and had to do it themselves it would be mayhem!

We haven't yet.

I thought Canaltime had abandoned Market Harborough. Two years ago the basin was private moorings. Are they still using it?

Yes, there's still plenty of blue boats there, we watched 3 go out with 1st time hirers (under instruction) when we were moored just outside the basin. Edited by nicknorman

Over the years we have gone up and down Foxton many times both with BW employees and volockies and all has always been well until our latest trip down in July. I got the distinct impression of headless chickens and lack of communication. On arrival at the top, I went to "log in" only to be told by the first person I spoke to that the person with the book was "down there somewhere" . Obviously radio communication wasn't being used! The locks were crowded with members of the public and it took time to track down the "person with book". When we eventually got into the flight, the volockie who attached herself to us had little clue about efficiency and she was on the red paddle but spent ages each time chatting to members of the public, to the extent that I went down and did the paddle myself (she had said she was in charge of the reds) . When we got to the half way point there was much discussion between her and the other volockies about how to pass the two boats.

We were not impressed and while the delay was of little consequence to us, the locks were busy and efficient locking should have been the order of the day.

haggis

Edited by haggis

We had a similar situation a couple of months ago with queuing, although first on the lock landing, we found other boaters moored around the corners below the locks had spoken to the volocky so went in first, as with the op it was all up or all down, with about 7 boats all coming up those at the top had a long wait before starting down. It was a sunny Wednesday, The place was crawling with Volockys, however most where either painting or gardening, actually locking there was 1 at the bottom, 1 at the top, and a pair in the middle all on radio's, plus a couple more chuggin. We prefer to be left to get on with it anyway.

We saw both Blue hire boats and ABC boats operating from Union Wharf at Market Harborough.

I remember way back when the real lockies lived on their boat at the top it was always 5 up then 5 down.

Well she is definitely not "in charge of the reds", I'd have challenged that. Although I suppose she might have meant that she'd do the reds for you whilst you did the whites or someing like that. Certainly when we went down yesterday we mostly just got on with it and the volovkies helped a bit but I didn't feel they were "controlling", nor are they entitled to be.

We got to Foxton around 1pm last Friday and there was a problem with one of the 'cross over' gates - evidently it was hit by a boat at speed a couple of weeks previously. They promised they would get us through so we went down around 3.30 it was a bit scary as.they wound up the next red padal before we had entered that lock and closed the gates. We flew down and they got home pretty much on time. Foxton guys are normally pretty good.

I confirm Watford flight is not locked but if you are coming up the flight early be prepared to let some water down to the bottom pound as the bottom gates leaks badly.

We got to Foxton around 1pm last Friday and there was a problem with one of the 'cross over' gates - evidently it was hit by a boat at speed a couple of weeks previously. They promised they would get us through so we went down around 3.30 it was a bit scary as.they wound up the next red padal before we had entered that lock and closed the gates. We flew down and they got home pretty much on time. Foxton guys are normally pretty good.

I confirm Watford flight is not locked but if you are coming up the flight early be prepared to let some water down to the bottom pound as the bottom gates leaks badly.

Surely there is no issue with winding the next red paddle before you are in the lock when going down, it just starts to fill the lower lock. It doesn't affect the draining of the lock you are in / entering. Someone could go down the whole flight opening all the red paddles in advance, although I'm not sure it would make a lot of speed difference to the transit.

Well she is definitely not "in charge of the reds", I'd have challenged that. Although I suppose she might have meant that she'd do the reds for you whilst you did the whites or someing like that. Certainly when we went down yesterday we mostly just got on with it and the volovkies helped a bit but I didn't feel they were "controlling", nor are they entitled to be.

Yes, I used the wrong words there :-). She said she would do the reds. I think after me doing the red while she chatted a couple of times, she gave up trying to help. On the bottom section we were on our own but I was told to open the bottom paddles of the bottom lock slowly as a strong flow could upset the trip boat on it's mooring just below the lock. I sort of "forgot" that request but we were out of the bottom lock while the trip boat was still approching and he held off till we got past.

I reckon that trip boats should be pretty good at mooring securely as they have the safety of passengers to consider.

Haggis

Amazingly exactly the same thing happened to me about 20 odd years ago but I experienced the added difficulty of having to wheel two severely disabled passengers down the flight for their dinner and then back up again afterwards. Despite my entreaties the husband and wife lockie team would not budge ; this was before volockies and before the footpath was as wheelchair friendly as it is now.

So when I returned home I went into print to BW which I gather quite a number of other boaters had already done, and the lockie team didn't work for BW much longer after that.

I think I know who you mean. I hold them responsible for the shortage of boaters going through Leicester as they used to warn anyone going down Foxton not to contemplate the badlands of the metropolis.

probably I'm bitter as someone (& I think not them but a relief ) reported our school party for dangerous boating. Our primary school was extremely experienced and we had been on the community boats training. rather than speak to those they felt were unsafe they reported us to the boat owners several weeks later but couldn't remember the actual date.

Needless to say the school no longer has boat trips as rules have tightened. yet when I meet ex pupils, they all say how much they loved the canal trip. yesterday one told me how much he regretted being in the first year the school didn't go.

I think I know who you mean. I hold them responsible for the shortage of boaters going through Leicester as they used to warn anyone going down Foxton not to contemplate the badlands of the metropolis.

probably I'm bitter as someone (& I think not them but a relief ) reported our school party for dangerous boating. Our primary school was extremely experienced and we had been on the community boats training. rather than speak to those they felt were unsafe they reported us to the boat owners several weeks later but couldn't remember the actual date.

Needless to say the school no longer has boat trips as rules have tightened. yet when I meet ex pupils, they all say how much they loved the canal trip. yesterday one told me how much he regretted being in the first year the school didn't go.

sorry .that's very off topic!

Surely there is no issue with winding the next red paddle before you are in the lock when going down, it just starts to fill the lower lock. It doesn't affect the draining of the lock you are in / entering. Someone could go down the whole flight opening all the red paddles in advance, although I'm not sure it would make a lot of speed difference to the transit.

I once drew a red paddle out of sync in the days of Mick and Crystal. Mick did not hesitate to point out the error of my ways... :blush:

We were on our nice new OwnerShips boat. "You share boaters, you think you know what you're doing but you're just glorified hirers, really."

Glorified Hirer has been the family name for share boaters ever since.

Until quite recently Foxton had an employed lock keeper, and he always used to let us wait in the centre pound for the ascending/descending boats to pass through, but since the introduction of volunteer lock keepers they will not allow it, Last time we went through the lock keeper let six boats down, even though there had only been two at the top when we first arrived, and when i checked a second time, was still letting more through.

I took issue with him, and was told not to interfere, that he was in charge and i didn't know what I was talking about. That was it. I phoned the Area Office and a "Manager" turned up ten minutes later, he listened to me and allowed us to go up to the centre pound and wait for the boats already descending. Whist waiting in the centre pound we noticed that the said volonteer lock keeper was on gass cutting duties!

That's very kind Matty, thanks. We have 2 days to do the trip so that should be OK except that I can see the same scenario arising when we get to Watford, although if they do indeed not lock the flight we'll come down after hours. So I probably won't know if we'll need your help until Thurs evening. Would you care to PM me a mobile number? How far away are you?

If your first threw foxton (and you should be correction demand to be as you waited sence yesterday afternoon)

You should be able to do foxton and watford in 1 day i have in the past with a pair its hard going but you can do it.

Mark was good to his word, we were first in at 9:00 and I'd ordered the bacon and egg butties and had them on board exiting the top lock by 09:40. The two of us had pulled about 3 locks in front of the following boat by the top despite the fact they had 4 folk and the volockies helping them. The volockies seemed to stay clear of us, perhaps I've now got a reputation for being grumpy? I knew it would come in handy at some point.

We are making good progress (has the Leicester section been dredged, we seem to be going faster than I expected?) and are now around Yelvertoft so we will be at Watford tomorrow morning. Panic over - unless Watford collapses!

Until quite recently Foxton had an employed lock keeper, and he always used to let us wait in the centre pound for the ascending/descending boats to pass through, but since the introduction of volunteer lock keepers they will not allow it,

Not correct I'm afraid. Foxton is our local flight and we go up and down it on just about every trip. Came down last week and they held a boat in the middle pound for us. Most Foxton volockies are fine, but it's true that one or two are over-officious and give all the others a bad name. When you can lift the red paddle is a bit of a lottery - no consistency between lockies as they all seem to have different rules. Why there isn't one rule is beyond me.

If your first threw foxton (and you should be correction demand to be as you waited sence yesterday afternoon)

You should be able to do foxton and watford in 1 day i have in the past with a pair its hard going but you can do it.

We won't be able to go down Watford today during "opening hours" since we are at Yelvertoft and it's just past closing time. We did have a lunch stop for an hour but even so we wouldn't have got through Watford. Yes we could go down this evening but the panic is over so we might as well go down tomorrow. I think it was because we went up the Welford arm and then took on water (really slow) that I was concerned about the return time - it's really not that far, as you say.

Not correct I'm afraid. Foxton is our local flight and we go up and down it on just about every trip. Came down last week and they held a boat in the middle pound for us. Most Foxton volockies are fine, but it's true that one or two are over-officious and give all the others a bad name. When you can lift the red paddle is a bit of a lottery - no consistency between lockies as they all seem to have different rules. Why there isn't one rule is beyond me.

There is one rule. Going down you can open the reds whenever you like. Going up you of course need to have the boat in the lock with the gates closed first! There is one rule but perhaps not all the volockies know it! Ultimately you are in charge of paddles in the flight, perhaps some volockies need reminding of it.

I drew all the red paddles in a staircase in advance (just because I could), not so long ago. The response was a medium-hard stare from the lock keeper, but nothing was said or done.

I M&Cs day wasn't the rhyme;

Red before White and you'll be allright

White before Red and you'll wish you were dead.

Yes I think so. But when the first volocky this morning asked me if I knew what I was doing, I recited that rhyme but he looked startled as if he'd never heard it. Maybe it was the way I emphasised "DEAD"!

Yes I think so. But when the first volocky this morning asked me if I knew what I was doing, I recited that rhyme but he looked startled as if he'd never heard it. Maybe it was the way I emphasised "DEAD"!

Maybe he had got it wrong in Crystals day and come off worse for wear and you reminded him of the experience;

Its semi related it the woman still at Watford i think it was? Might have bern foxton but sure it was watford.

She always use to tell us to get on the motor and hurry up or down we would normaly get to the top or bottom and only be waiting for 2 locks that was with me and dad on the motor and just her with the butty.

Its the one where the bottom 3 think it is are spred out a bit more. Its been so long sence ive done them but it was def one of the 2

Its semi related it the woman still at Watford i think it was? Might have bern foxton but sure it was watford.

She always use to tell us to get on the motor and hurry up or down we would normaly get to the top or bottom and only be waiting for 2 locks that was with me and dad on the motor and just her with the butty.

Its the one where the bottom 3 think it is are spred out a bit more. Its been so long sence ive done them but it was def one of the 2

Foxton is a uniform 5 + 5 staircase. Watford is (from the top) single lock, 4 in a staircase, then 2 single locks.

That would have been at Foxton, she used to do the same whenever we took a pair of boats through too.

the current lot of retards volunteers are completely different and in need of some training in how to deal with paying customers, it's almost worth not going that way to avoid dealing with them.

Tom

Until quite recently Foxton had an employed lock keeper, and he always used to let us wait in the centre pound for the ascending/descending boats to pass through, but since the introduction of volunteer lock keepers they will not allow it,

I was definitely told by the Lock keeper that I was not allowed to progress to the centre pound, because that was the rule. Are you suggesting that I made that up, or that he was wrong?