Journey up the Nene

hackenbush

Featured Posts

We are about to embark on our trip from March to Uxbridge. I have a CART licence but was wondering whether I need to get an EA temp licence? If so, I hope I haven't left it too late. I just assumed these were as easy to get as CART licences which is all done online...

Also, any advice on the Rothersthorpe Flight? Would it be best to have an extra pair of hands? --there are two of us on the trip. If so, anyone out there with some free time?

You can't buy EA visitor licenses from Stanground lock, but you can buy them from the lock-keepers at Denver and Dog-in-Doublet.

Crew of two is fine to do the Rothersthorpe flight.

Cheers,

MP.

ETA: just re-read the OP, and you won't actually pass either of those locks. We've made a car trip to D-in-a-D to get the license in the past.

Edited by MoominPapa

I'm not sure what options there are for the length of a temporary EA licence for the Nene, but we need to allow enough time to get through. If we pass Stanground on Thursday, I estimate we might get off the river onto CRT waters some time on Monday.

I've only done the Rothersthorpe flight once, but my take on it is that we can happily do it with just the two of us, it'll just take time. If we can find someone to turn out and help us, that's nice to have. No doubt some people do it single handed, they will have to take a lot of time. We might find ourselves passing pipistrelle doing just that going the other way (see Crew Swap).

I've only done the Rothersthorpe flight once, but my take on it is that we can happily do it with just the two of us, it'll just take time. If we can find someone to turn out and help us, that's nice to have. No doubt some people do it single handed, they will have to take a lot of time. We might find ourselves passing pipistrelle doing just that going the other way (see Crew Swap).

Four hours, going downhill, with my patent rope system to open and close the bottom gates without crossing over the lock ....

Go on, tell us! I once did it in five hours but without secret weapons other than the usual singlehander methods.

Here you go, a line going around the handle at the end of the balance beam (not visible here), and another around the rail at the centre of the gate.

The oddity of these gates - being a diddy version of GU gates - is that it is not really feasible to step across the gap when one gate is open and the other is shut.

post-13477-0-45025600-1475575869_thumb.jpg

(typos corrected).

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Four hours, going downhill, with my patent rope system to open and close the bottom gates without crossing over the lock ....

I assume that time is the whole thing from Arm End to Northampton and not just the 13 Rothersthorpe locks

I'm not sure what options there are for the length of a temporary EA licence for the Nene, but we need to allow enough time to get through. If we pass Stanground on Thursday, I estimate we might get off the river onto CRT waters some time on Monday.

My info is somewhat out of date, but they used to do daily, weekly and monthly visitor licenses. The daily ones were a fixed price, the others depended on boat length, and rather strangely, seven daily licenses were cheaper than a weekly one if the boat was longer than about 50'. No doubt that anomaly has been fixed now.

MP.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/anglian-waterways-boat-registration-and-application-forms

You're supposed to give them 10 working days notice. They do 1 day, 7 day and 31 day short term visitor permits.

You're supposed to give them 10 days notice for the Thames region too, we got in touch with them a few days before we left for Lechlade.

The licencing department were very helpful.

Crumbs! I'm off to March tomorrow and we plan to be out on the Nene on Thursday afternoon. When a boat with a CRT licence comes onto the Thames at Oxford or Reading the licence is simply bought at the first manned lock encountered; do EA make it more complicated on their other rivers then?

Crumbs! I'm off to March tomorrow and we plan to be out on the Nene on Thursday afternoon. When a boat with a CRT licence comes onto the Thames at Oxford or Reading the licence is simply bought at the first manned lock encountered; do EA make it more complicated on their other rivers then?

To be fair, the only manned locks are Dog-in-a-Doublet (about 30 boats a year, I think) and (some of the time) Northampton.

Not really, as Simon points out there's not many folks to pay riverside on the Nene!

Just ring the EA licence department, all will be well :)

I think you can also get a license in Peterborough visitor information Centre after going through stanground lock

Edited by rusty69

Have you booked passage thru Stanground? It's 24 hours notice with Tina.

Incase you don't have the number to hand...

07824 600470

I think you can also get a license in Peterboro after going through stanground lock

There is no longer an office near the river, Aqua house has been boarded up for a long while now.

I think you can also get a license in Peterboro after going through stanground lock

There is no longer an office near the river, Aqua house has been boarded up for a long while now.

There is no longer an office near the river, Aqua house has been boarded up for a long while now. Edited by gazza

Have you booked passage thru Stanground? It's 24 hours notice with Tina.Incase you don't have the number to hand...07824 600470There is no longer an office near the river, Aqua house has been boarded up for a long while now.There is no longer an office near the river, Aqua house has been boarded up for a long while now.There is no longer an office near the river, Aqua house has been boarded up for a long while now.

Oh.ok,good to know.That is where the license people told me back in May when I was enquiring. Perhaps has closed since then?

Oh.ok,good to know.That is where the license people told me back in May when I was enquiring. Perhaps has closed since then?

There is a council office on Bridge Street and as I understand it the tourist information centre has moved there.

Aqua house was the regional office, all licencing was dealt with there at one time. Regional Offices have moved to Orton and licencing dealt with in Rotherham now.

Long time since you got your ticket from the NRA office in Oundle :)

There is a council office on Bridge Street and as I understand it the tourist information centre has moved there.

Aqua house was the regional office, all licencing was dealt with there at one time. Regional Offices have moved to Orton and licencing dealt with in Rotherham now.

I brought mine over the phone on the day I went on the river,Not Oundle, but as I said, although it was back in May,I was told that I could buy a license in Peterborough. Obviously this is out of date information, so apologies for any confusion.

Edited by rusty69