Journey up the Nene

hackenbush

Featured Posts

There is no longer an office near the river, Aqua house has been boarded up for a long while now.

There is no longer an office near the river, Aqua house has been boarded up for a long while now.

to the tune of Stairway....

I brought mine over the phone on the day I went on the river,Not Oundle, but as I said, although it was back in May,I was told that I could buy a license in Peterborough. Obviously this is out of date information, so apologies for any confusion.

No need to apologies :)

ETA. Life was easier when the offices were near the river they dealt with :)

The Oundle ref is the days of the National Rivers Authority, the NRA preceded the EA - some faded NRA signs can still be seen on the river. The EA took over early to mid '90s.

Dad used to get day tickets for the dinghy from the NRA office - brings back good memories :)

to the tune of Stairway....

Sticky internet, good choice of backing tune though :) Edited by gazza

No need to apologies :)

ETA. Life was easier when the offices were near the river they dealt with :)

The Oundle ref is the days of the National Rivers Authority, the NRA preceded the EA - some faded NRA signs can still be seen on the river. The EA took over early to mid '90s.

Dad used to get day tickets for the dinghy from the NRA office - brings back good memories :)

Sticky internet, good choice of backing tune though :)

I was apologizing to Peter X, who may have gone shopping for a licence in Peterborough through my out of date information. Not sure why I was told this by the people who sell the licenses that I could but one in Peterborough

Perhaps things have changed since I enquiry in May

Edited by rusty69

I was apologizing to Peter X, who may have gone shopping for a licence in Peterborough through my out of date information. Not sure why I was told this by the people who sell the licenses that I could but one in Peterborough

Perhaps things have changed since I enquiry in May

Ah right, it's not unheard of for me to get the wrong end of the stick!!

I had a quick Google but nothing much comes up for environment agency river licences being obtainable in person in Peterborough.

Orton goldhay where kingfisher house is situated is a decent step to get to.

Every chance the licence dept hasbr a clue about location of offices, after all, I once called the operational free phone number who couldn't find the Nen, she found the Neen no problem though :)

Ah right, it's not unheard of for me to get the wrong end of the stick!!

I had a quick Google but nothing much comes up for environment agency river licences being obtainable in person in Peterborough.

Orton goldhay where kingfisher house is situated is a decent step to get to.

Every chance the licence dept hasbr a clue about location of offices, after all, I once called the operational free phone number who couldn't find the Nen, she found the Neen no problem though :)

Excerpt from email they sent me:-

Postcode Pe11hj, tel 01733452366

Excerpt from email they sent me:-

Postcode Pe11hj, tel 01733452366

That's the council office/tourist information centre.

Last time we went in there was having been to AquaHouse to give the EA grief for the state of the sanitation block on the embankment, they sent us there as it's the councils responsibility.

To say they were not interested would be a mild understatement!

May be worth a buzz to see if they know anything about it.

Be useful to know if you can get one from there.

I dare say the middle level watermen along with March cruising club members would know.

That's the council office/tourist information centre.

Last time we went in there was having been to AquaHouse to give the EA grief for the state of the sanitation block on the embankment, they sent us there as it's the councils responsibility.

To say they were not interested would be a mild understatement!

May be worth a buzz to see if they know anything about it.

Be useful to know if you can get one from there.

I dare say the middle level watermen along with March cruising club members would know.

They said it was, Peterborough visitor information Centre.I have emailed them and asked. Will report back findings Edited by rusty69

Ring the EA, we had a pdf visitors licence for the Thames emailed same day. Print it off, save it to your phone or whatever.

Job sorted.

cheers.gif

OK, sounds good and I hope they're still this efficient. Will call them this morning

I know you are not asking this question, but please do register with the EA flood alert system for the Nene. Do you have a couple of Abloy keys for the locks?

I'm purchasing "river nene" keys today. Are these what you mean?

Edited by hackenbush

Scholar Gypsy, on 04 Oct 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

I know you are not asking this question, but please do register with the EA flood alert system for the Nene. Do you have a couple of Abloy keys for the locks?snapback.png

I'm purchasing "river nene" keys today. Are these what you mean?

Yes.

You can check the strong stream alerts for the Nene by dialling 0845 9881188, and then (after a wait) dialling 1 and then (after a further message) 032112.

It is currently clear (although a bit out of date - 2nd April 2016 - as it refers to when the alert was last lifted)..

I know you are not asking this question, but please do register with the EA flood alert system for the Nene. Do you have a couple of Abloy keys for the locks?snapback.png

Yes.

You can check the strong stream alerts for the Nene by dialling 0845 9881188, and then (after a wait) dialling 1 and then (after a further message) 032112.

It is currently clear (although a bit out of date - 2nd April 2016 - as it refers to when the alert was last lifted)..

It would need to be rain of biblical proportions to cause problems this week, levels are low and have been all summer long.

That said, the SSA alert is a useful scheme and well worth signing up to as Simon pointed out earlier.

It would need to be rain of biblical proportions to cause problems this week, levels are low and have been all summer long.

That said, the SSA alert is a useful scheme and well worth signing up to as Simon pointed out earlier.

I was watching TV coverage of the typhoon in Haiti yesterday, which must have prompted the thought !

Thanks for the clarification

Seconded.

Good excuse to go and have a wander round the fair city of Peterborough too :)

I was watching TV coverage of the typhoon in Haiti yesterday, which must have prompted the thought !

Yes, poor sods.

For me It's been a very good summer all told, I got a soaking twice in the space of two days. The rest of the time we have been on the boat it's been glorious.

Just confirmed, you can indeed buy a Nene license from Peterborough :-

Peterborough Visitor Information Centre Team

City Services and Communications

Resources

Peterborough City Council

41 Bridge Street

Peterborough

PE1 1HA

Telephone: 01733 452336

Email: vic@peterborough.gov.uk

www.visitpeterborough.com

• Greenie 1

Yes.

Or sign up for the alerts online and it will text you a) to confirm and B) if there is an alert. Email the address here and say which rivers, etc: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/anglian-waterways-river-conditions-closures-and-restrictions

I have a quesetion! I am doing the same journey in the opposite direction sometime next week. How far in advance can I book passage through the locks? Do they need to know exactly etas, or can I phone earlier and say (eg) "Tuesday"?

Also, here's a link to the blog guide to the Nene that someone gave me: http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/nene/

Or sign up for the alerts online and it will text you a) to confirm and cool.png if there is an alert. Email the address here and say which rivers, etc: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/anglian-waterways-river-conditions-closures-and-restrictions

I have a quesetion! I am doing the same journey in the opposite direction sometime next week. How far in advance can I book passage through the locks? Do they need to know exactly etas, or can I phone earlier and say (eg) "Tuesday"?

Also, here's a link to the blog guide to the Nene that someone gave me: http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/nene/

Tina at Stanground is 24 hours notice so need need to worry too much.

Maureen at Marmonts priory likes a bit of notice, I usually call when leaving March, a couple of hours cruise to Marmonts 01945 773959

Salters Lode and Denver need no notification, it's worth calling Paul at Salters to find out tide times so you can plan your crossing. 01366 382292

Or sign up for the alerts online and it will text you a) to confirm and cool.png if there is an alert. Email the address here and say which rivers, etc: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/anglian-waterways-river-conditions-closures-and-restrictions

You can choose between emails, texts, or a friendly robot ringing you up and leaving a voicemail message. I seem to get all three, which is a tad overkill.

Tina at Stanground is 24 hours notice so need need to worry too much.

Maureen at Marmonts priory likes a bit of notice, I usually call when leaving March, a couple of hours cruise to Marmonts 01945 773959

Salters Lode and Denver need no notification, it's worth calling Paul at Salters to find out tide times so you can plan your crossing. 01366 382292

Salter s lode will need planning if you have a 70 foot boat

Planning from me or from them? I have a 71'6" boat, to be precise. I can call them any time.

(also no idea why my last post had sunglasses. I assume the EA do not supply sunglasses with their flood warnings).

You can choose between emails, texts, or a friendly robot ringing you up and leaving a voicemail message. I seem to get all three, which is a tad overkill.

Yes, I get all three as well and have done since March (when I thought I was moving and signed up!)

Planning from me or from them? I have a 71'6" boat, to be precise. I can call them any time.

(also no idea why my last post had sunglasses. I assume the EA do not supply sunglasses with their flood warnings).

Yes, I get all three as well and have done since March (when I thought I was moving and signed up!)

Give Paul a call, the tide needs to be at a certain state. I can't remember the details as it's been a few years since we have been through Salters

Sort of,

You can rock up anytime, miss the tide, wait all day etc.

The only reason to call Paul is to find out when the tide is for your benefit, not to book passage as you are required to do at Stanground.

from the 2016 MLC nav notes

SALTER’S LODE LOCK Length 18.90m (62'-0") Width 3.80m (12'-6")

Locking through to tidal river for limited periods each side of high tide. Possible passage for craft up to length of 24.30m (80'-0") on level water (falling tide) or below, when tidal conditions allow.

Closed on Christmas Day and Wednesdays during November, December, January, and February and for the first week of March Telephone lock-keeper beforehand and do not enter lock without keeper in attendance.

- Marmont Priory Lock - An advance phone call (Tel. 07824 821737) is preferred to assist water management, etc. Special care must be exercised to ensure that the doors and penstocks/paddles/slackers are completely closed after use. This lock is similar to Ashline Lock and care must be taken to keep clear of the upstream sill and the downstream penstock access walkway

Mobile number for Maureen.

Edited by gazza