Journey up the Nene

hackenbush

Featured Posts

Thank you hackenbush for having me along on what was a very enjoyable trip.

We took nine days from March to Denham, of which about 3.5 days were the Nene from Stanground Sluice to the Northampton Junction, and we were boating almost from dawn to dusk each day, typically 7 to 5:30, this including various pauses for water, shopping for food and chandlery, boat fixing etc.

It's a beautiful trip along the Nene, worth taking time over if you can, but we were in a hurry to fit our target date.

The EA licence, which we bought from the Visitor Information shop in Peterborough, is £8.50 per day or £48 for a week. We bought four days, but someone in a hurry in summer could do it in three, and a week would give a nice relaxed trip.

Billings could do with some signage; I'd been into there once last year coming from upstream, but was uncertain coming upstream and ended up reversing 50 yards or so. Once inside it's difficult to make out where a visitor should go for the various facilities, and again a few simple signs would make things a whole lot easier. If you want water there, go left over to the big glass-fronted building, turn right just in front of it then right into an empty pontoon.

We saw Clypeus on the visitor pontoon at Northampton on the Sunday and would have said hello but it was unoccupied. (It's OK to say that on the forum because I know pipistrelle has moved on!)

We had a delay too on the Northampton Arm due to low pounds halfway up; I see that CRT have this in their winter closures list, which may fix it:

Lock 6, Northampton Arm

(Grand Union Canal)

07/11/2016 - 16/12/2016

To undertake gate replacement works.

You're an excellent and very patient teacher Peter X, I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and learnt so much. The weather was completely on our side for the entire journey and kindly waited until today after being safely moored and stationary to chuck it down.

Thank you hackenbush for having me along on what was a very enjoyable trip.

We took nine days from March to Denham, of which about 3.5 days were the Nene from Stanground Sluice to the Northampton Junction, and we were boating almost from dawn to dusk each day, typically 7 to 5:30, this including various pauses for water, shopping for food and chandlery, boat fixing etc.

It's a beautiful trip along the Nene, worth taking time over if you can, but we were in a hurry to fit our target date.

The EA licence, which we bought from the Visitor Information shop in Peterborough, is £8.50 per day or £48 for a week. We bought four days, but someone in a hurry in summer could do it in three, and a week would give a nice relaxed trip.

Billings could do with some signage; I'd been into there once last year coming from upstream, but was uncertain coming upstream and ended up reversing 50 yards or so. Once inside it's difficult to make out where a visitor should go for the various facilities, and again a few simple signs would make things a whole lot easier. If you want water there, go left over to the big glass-fronted building, turn right just in front of it then right into an empty pontoon.

We saw Clypeus on the visitor pontoon at Northampton on the Sunday and would have said hello but it was unoccupied. (It's OK to say that on the forum because I know pipistrelle has moved on!)

We had a delay too on the Northampton Arm due to low pounds halfway up; I see that CRT have this in their winter closures list, which may fix it:

Lock 6, Northampton Arm

(Grand Union Canal)

07/11/2016 - 16/12/2016

To undertake gate replacement works.

Good old Billing.

We all got very good at directing people to the visitors moorings! Getting out to go upstream with a full length pair is interesting!!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me with local knowledge, especially Fade To Scarlet who I managed to hire as crew to replace my crew who had fallen ill. He's a fount of knowledge about the fenland waterways and I feel confident I can get back out of here on my own now.

Wait... Hackenbush & PeterX, were you the people asking about getting a windlass from John at Northampton? Did you tie up for a very short time just next to me? If so, I was the person waiting to chat to him next, with an adorable (if I say so myself) puppy. If so, hi!

Yep, that was us! He couldn't sell us a windlass, but we bought a BW key and were gone like a phantom into ze night. In other words, it was the last day of the EA licence and we were on a mission anyway; by sunset we were onto CRT waters and through five locks of the Northampton Arm, moored just before the M1 bridge.

Yep, that was us! He couldn't sell us a windlass, but we bought a BW key and were gone like a phantom into ze night. In other words, it was the last day of the EA licence and we were on a mission anyway; by sunset we were onto CRT waters and through five locks of the Northampton Arm, moored just before the M1 bridge.

So was it you that we passed whilst fighting through the weed and low water level in the Northampton washlands?

MP.

That was the evening of Sunday 9th Oct we did that bit, and I think we did pass one or two boats, so maybe yes.

Hackenbush's boat seems to have quite a shallow draught, but maybe that's just because I've got used to the deep draught of the NBT boats! The only places on the trip I can remember us running aground were (both briefly) one in the middle of the Nene where water flowing in from a weir had created an unmarked bank of gravel, and one on the GU where we were trying to come alongside the towpath above lock 75.

There did look to be quite a lot of weed on that stretch (the lower five locks of the Northampton Arm), but it didn't affect us, in fact we never had anything round the prop on the whole trip. At least I never felt the need to do a chuck back or attempt opening the weed hatch.

Sorry I didn't realise.

Without sounding stalkery, Moominpapa, I think you went by earlier in the day? Someone from the marina pointed you out around 2 on the Sunday, saying you were heading down the Nene, and I think I failed to meet hackenbush & PeterX after enjoying the delights of Morrisons.

I also had very little problems with weed, or running aground and my boat is deep draughted (they made us go through Stanground Lock backwards). Apart from Lock 6 at Rothersthorpe. Here's hoping the new gates sort it out while I'm stuck on the Fens for the winter. There were bits of the Nene that I worried about as I could see the bottom, but I guess it was just very clear.

Sorry I didn't realise.

Without sounding stalkery, Moominpapa, I think you went by earlier in the day? Someone from the marina pointed you out around 2 on the Sunday, saying you were heading down the Nene, and I think I failed to meet hackenbush & PeterX after enjoying the delights of Morrisons.

I also had very little problems with weed, or running aground and my boat is deep draughted (they made us go through Stanground Lock backwards). Apart from Lock 6 at Rothersthorpe. Here's hoping the new gates sort it out while I'm stuck on the Fens for the winter. There were bits of the Nene that I worried about as I could see the bottom, but I guess it was just very clear.

Where did you turn after Stanground?

N

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me with local knowledge, especially Fade To Scarlet who I managed to hire as crew to replace my crew who had fallen ill. He's a fount of knowledge about the fenland waterways and I feel confident I can get back out of here on my own now.

Wait... Hackenbush & PeterX, were you the people asking about getting a windlass from John at Northampton? Did you tie up for a very short time just next to me? If so, I was the person waiting to chat to him next, with an adorable (if I say so myself) puppy. If so, hi!

Yes! I remember you now. The Fens will be pretty amazing and bleak over winter!

Sorry I didn't realise.

. Welcome to the Fens. Less of the "stuck", please .... glare.gif

. Welcome to the Fens. Less of the "stuck", please .... :glare:

Y

Where did you turn after Stanground?

N

We winded at the little inlet by the pumping station, just before the first bridge.

I managed to reverse Clypeus much better than I did my own boat. That's a bit embarrassing....

Yes! I remember you now. The Fens will be pretty amazing and bleak over winter!

I would love to be on the fens in the winter, especially good to see Denver Sluice doing what it does best and all the pumping stations in action. I saw from the information at Denver that the river level at Ely is kept within a ten inch range IIRC. That must take some doing.

I would love to be on the fens in the winter, especially good to see Denver Sluice doing what it does best and all the pumping stations in action. I saw from the information at Denver that the river level at Ely is kept within a ten inch range IIRC. That must take some doing.

You can see the data here: http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1671/1812/2015-10-01/2016-10-31

If anything the water level is lower in winter, as the EA can pull the plug at Denver sluice (and use the relief channel in earnest). There is a similar response on the Witham where the river level at Boston is lowered in the winter. http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map/Summary/1464/1611/2015-10-01/2016-10-31

At the moment there is a nice variation at Ely every 12 hours, about 5 cm I think, as the doors at Denver open and shut automatically with the tide.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Y

We winded at the little inlet by the pumping station, just before the first bridge.

I managed to reverse Clypeus much better than I did my own boat. That's a bit embarrassing....

Your boat is the full 72' though right? Clypeus is possibly slightly under 71'6" - it's been suggested that it was slightly shortened to rectify some bad BW welding. Not sure how true that is, as it's well longer than the 70' modern narrowboat I'm breasted up to.

Scolar Gypsy, I said "stuck" as I'm on the inside of two other boats who don't plan to move much whereas I would like the freedom to go exploring. I'm going to ask at the marina office about upgrading to a solo mooring (my neighbours are lovely, but atm I am finding it hard to open and shut the engine hole doors due to having two other boats on my outside). Also, everything is going wrong with my liveaboard systems so I feel a bit "stuck".

Your boat is the full 72' though right? Clypeus is possibly slightly under 71'6" - it's been suggested that it was slightly shortened to rectify some bad BW welding. Not sure how true that is, as it's well longer than the 70' modern narrowboat I'm breasted up to.

Scolar Gypsy, I said "stuck" as I'm on the inside of two other boats who don't plan to move much whereas I would like the freedom to go exploring. I'm going to ask at the marina office about upgrading to a solo mooring (my neighbours are lovely, but atm I am finding it hard to open and shut the engine hole doors due to having two other boats on my outside). Also, everything is going wrong with my liveaboard systems so I feel a bit "stuck".

Ah you have my sympathy for all of that. That's the same reason - to go exploring - that I chose a mooring inside the marina, by the railway. I think there are some full length boats inside.

You should also check the depth of anything inside - it is a bit silty in places ...

Also, everything is going wrong with my liveaboard systems so I feel a bit "stuck".

Not the composting loo, I hope. We are on the verge of buying one.

(If this is a topic hijack, sorry!)

Sorry I didn't realise.

I think you're right. We came down the Rotherthorpe flight on Saturday afternoon, overnighted in the Marina and then moved to the moorings above the lock on Sunday morning to raid Morrissons. We left after lunch so do the washlands on Sunday afternoon. You were moored on in Noerthampton when we left and caught us up at Lower Wellingborough.

The river was generally not weedy at all. It gets much worse than that. The washlands, I've seen much more weedy too, but I've never seen the level down a foot like it was. I guess that just dropped the prop into the weed and made it difficult to make progress.

Cheers,

MP.

ETA. Why the backwards Stanground passage? Tina's day off, or too shallow even with King;s Dyke filled to the brim?

Edited by MoominPapa

ETA. Why the backwards Stanground passage? Tina's day off, or too shallow even with King;s Dyke filled to the brim?

Same reason we do on Fulbourne I imagine. The older upstream end of the lock is shallow so we have to put the deeper stern end in the new bit. Easy enough to wind above the lock but at the bottom a full length boat has to reverse for a mile to turn.

Same reason we do on Fulbourne I imagine. The older upstream end of the lock is shallow so we have to put the deeper stern end in the new bit. Easy enough to wind above the lock but at the bottom a full length boat has to reverse for a mile to turn.

Yes, we have the same problem, but if we let Tina know that we're deep when we book the passage, she opens the taps a couple of hours beforehand and gets the level in Kings Dyke up enough that we can still, just, float in the empty lock without going backwards. This tactic doesn't work if there's a relief locky on duty, and I guess there will be boats deep enough that a sufficiently high level can't be achieved.

As we're 60' and can turn below the lock, going backwards is no big deal, unless it's very windy. The reverse to the full length winding hole is a serious undertaking, especially if it's windy or King's dyke is full of blanket weed: both common occurrences!

Cheers,

MP.

Theo, the loo is about the only thing that hasn't broken down! My battery charger (something called a Studer, that people seemed to think was fancy and good) seems to have packed up. I suspect something in the unit has worked itself loose, as it was fine before and the fuses are all okay and its LEDs are lit up, so there's clearly power going into the darn thing (have replaced with a car charger for now - guess a backup is always useful and I don't want to knacker my lovely engine running it to charge batteries) and my calorifier tank started leaking from a fitting (again, fixed, but it chose to do this at 2:30 am, and sods' law had it that one of my adjustable spanners was too big and the other too small and BOTH of them were in the toolbox in the backcabin). I feel like I could (almost) go into business fixing boats now, especially as there's probably lots of demand for lady boat engineers.

This is what she said. I think I'd have got away with it, though. Poor Fade To Scarlet did the reversing and winding bits while I just played with my pupper. I think I got on her bad side by not knowing the exact draught of my boat during our initial conversation, which took place when I was on a rail replacement bus (had heard figures ranging from 2'10" to 3'1", which I guess are laden and unladen respectively) - got a smile when I complimented her rather fine tortie cat, though!

Scholar Gypsy - he said it was too silty inside for a deep-draughted boat. I think I prefer the river bank, anyway - when I'm off the boat, the view is great (apart from the boat that came past today with Comic Sans sign-writing!!).

I just came across this film (posted on the Friends of the Nene facebook group) of a trip up the Nene in 1990.

• some good shots of the hand-operated guillotines
  • the A14 bridge at Thrapston under construction
  • the top gates being used as weirs.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Is it just me, or is that guillotine being operated with a windlass? I wonder if that would be easier or harder than the wheels that are there now.

Well judging by the time and effort it takes to operate the only windlass-operated guillotine on the canal system (Slaithwaite), I prefer the wheels. In fact it was rather a relief this year to have to book CRT staff to do it for me (still not fixed after a year).

Is it just me, or is that guillotine being operated with a windlass? I wonder if that would be easier or harder than the wheels that are there now.

They were all like that until some nugget tried to stop it spinning after they lost their grip on it, result = one broken arm and an attempt to blame the EA. The EA fitted the wheels so no one could get in the path of the handle

That video shows how the river should be ref vee gates and levels, while the electrification of most locks and improvements to vee gate paddle gear has reduced the effort to fill and empty the locks, stiff gates, loose gates, incorrect levels and lack of dredging are slowly ruining the river.

BTW, the first lock to b electrified was Lower Barnwell in about 1991 if my memory is right.

Well judging by the time and effort it takes to operate the only windlass-operated guillotine on the canal system (Slaithwaite), I prefer the wheels. In fact it was rather a relief this year to have to book CRT staff to do it for me (still not fixed after a year).

Point of order: here is Cowbridge, Boston on the Witham Navigable Drains. Took my crew a while to work out how to unlock it...

dscf6021.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy