London River Names

mark99

Featured Posts

Fascinating, thanks Mark.

You're welcome.

Was standing chest high in Wandle yesterday running a waggler through catching coarse fish listening to police sirens pretending I was far away in country. Amazing that Wandle contains decent troutlets. wink.png

20161002_171129_resized_zpsb0adtdws.jpg

I did hear it used to transport dye etc via river to certain factories via boat (short hauls). Must have been a handfull as it's a fast flowing river.

Edited by mark99

You're welcome.

Was standing chest high in Wandle yesterday running a waggler through catching coarse fish listening to police sirens pretending I was far away in country. Amazing that Wandle contains decent troutlets. wink.png

I did hear it used to transport dye etc via river to certain factories via boat (short hauls). Must have been a handfull as it's a fast flowing river.

William Morris had his textile factory on the Wandle which I assume required lots of dye.

Tim

I read somewhere that around 1800 serious consideration was given to converting the Wandle to a canal, but it didn't happen because it was felt it wouldn't have enough water supply. Instead Croydon was connected to the river by the Surrey Iron Railway which pretty much followed the route of the Wandle and carried horse drawn trucks, this being before steam trains. Then Croydon briefly had its canal to the Surrey docks, before that was bought in 1836 and converted to a railway. The canal basin became West Croydon Station, and part of the route of the old Surrey Iron Railway lives on as the Tramlink line to Wimbledon.

Fascinating article. I had never connected "Brentford" with the River Brent before, but now that you mention it, it's blooming obvious.

It flows into the canal just below the Hanwell flight, and also tops up the Welsh Harp reservoir which supplies the Paddington Arm,

You're welcome.

Some works being done at the mouth of the Wandle, that might make it a bit easier to explore in a narrowboat (the current flood gate looks rather stuck to me).

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/article/13441/work_to_begin_shortly_on_creating_new_wandle_delta_nature_reserve

https://twitter.com/wandbc/status/756102797418983424

Lost rivers of Northants - called the neen. smile.png

I canne resist it Gazza.

There is a pub on the Wandle called the William Morris <next to ex Libertys outsouced dye and print works>. Been there a few times and yes around that whole area Time Team did an investigation and there were a few leats backfilled and demolished side channel/wharves.

More accurate to suggest it was a printing works rather than textile.

Peter X - excellent book re History of the Wandle - remarkable because I ordered it from Amazon and within an hour the author hand delivered it to me - turns out he is a Carshalton-ite. I walked most of it searching out little tit bits from the book.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

smile.png

Herewith link for Peter <Croydon> X.

http://www.wandlebook.co.uk/index.php/contents

Only bote on the Wandle?

http://www.derelictlondon.com/boats.html

Historic Wandle and boats/Nav?

http://www.wandle.org/news/issue40/navigation.htm

Personally I can't see the Wandle was ever used for navigation: to fast and too many mills. The flow of the Wandle today is greatly diminished due to abstraction.

Edited by mark99

magnetman, on 03 Oct 2016 - 6:43 PM, said:

Wandsworth.

Nothing remotely interesting about it other than it being named after a river smile.png

No, no, nono -

Lovely brewery (as most other breweries jest - drew their water direct from their local river) and was one of the last to use horse transport - Young's wasn't it?

(proper) used to go right up to the brewery. (See the Tuesday Night Club for details)

Otherwise as you say above.

No, no, nono -

Lovely brewery (as most other breweries jest - drew their water direct from their local river) and was one of the last to use horse transport - Young's wasn't it?

(proper) used to go right up to the brewery. (See the Tuesday Night Club for details)

Otherwise as you say above.

Wendlesworth has gorn rather trendy - and you need serious dosh to buy your own hovel there now............

Wells did not take over Youngs but they did brew their beer once the brewery shut down.

Tim

Pinched from wiki,

The company closed the Ram Brewery in 2006, and the brewing operation was transferred to a new company, Wells & Young's Brewing Company Ltd, which was a joint brewing venture with Charles Wells Brewery. Young's held 40% of the shares in the new company until the sale of its stake to Charles Wells was announced in August 2011.[2][3] There is a rolling contract for Young's to take beers produced by Wells & Young's.[4][5][6] Until its closure in 2006, the company's Ram Brewery in Wandsworth was claimed to be Britain's oldest brewing site in continuous operation, with a history dating back to the 1550s when a Humphrey Langridge, "beer-brewer at Wandsworth", leased the Ram pub.[7]

It never tasted the same when brewed in Bedford.

Pinched from wiki,

The company closed the Ram Brewery in 2006, and the brewing operation was transferred to a new company, Wells & Young's Brewing Company Ltd, which was a joint brewing venture with Charles Wells Brewery. Young's held 40% of the shares in the new company until the sale of its stake to Charles Wells was announced in August 2011.[2][3] There is a rolling contract for Young's to take beers produced by Wells & Young's.[4][5][6] Until its closure in 2006, the company's Ram Brewery in Wandsworth was claimed to be Britain's oldest brewing site in continuous operation, with a history dating back to the 1550s when a Humphrey Langridge, "beer-brewer at Wandsworth", leased the Ram pub.[7]

It never tasted the same when brewed in Bedford.

This refers to the brewing company, the pubs are still owned by Youngs.

It is interesting how things change, when I first moved to London we would search a Youngs pub as you could guarantee that it would sell real ale as opposed to the other 'local' brewer, Fullers, which only sold it in about half of their pubs.

Now I will actively go to a Fullers pub in preference as they now sell real ale in all their pubs and produce an interesting range of seasonal ales as opposed to Youngs who have stuck to the same fairly bland beers.

Tim

You're welcome.

There were dyeing works at Goat Lane/Mill Green Road, Mitcham the remnants of which could be seen until fairly recently.

I read somewhere that around 1800 serious consideration was given to converting the Wandle to a canal, but it didn't happen because it was felt it wouldn't have enough water supply. Instead Croydon was connected to the river by the Surrey Iron Railway which pretty much followed the route of the Wandle and carried horse drawn trucks, this being before steam trains. Then Croydon briefly had its canal to the Surrey docks, before that was bought in 1836 and converted to a railway. The canal basin became West Croydon Station, and part of the route of the old Surrey Iron Railway lives on as the Tramlink line to Wimbledon.

A Croydon Canal Restoration Society exists (or existed) as I have a member's badge somewhere. Working parties were instructed to wear balaclava, bring oxy-acetylene cutting gear and rendezvous at West Croydon Station at midnight.

Wandsworth.

Nothing remotely interesting about it other than it being named after a river :)

This is soon true since the closure of the Youngs brewery there.

Edited to change Youngsters back to wot I rote - Youngs.

Edited again as I have noticed Gazza made the same point several posts earlier.

A pint of Special in "The Brewery Tap" was the best Youngs I ever tasted (and back in 1973 I visited nearly all of the Young pubs in a year to almost claim a firkin of Special)).

Edited by cuthound

This is soon true since the closure of the Youngs brewery there.

Edited to change Youngsters back to wot I rote - Youngs.

Edited again as I have noticed Gazza made the same point several posts earlier.

A pint of Special in "The Brewery Tap" was the best Youngs I ever tasted (and back in 1973 I visited nearly all of the Young pubs in a year to almost claim a firkin of Special)).

It's worth repeating though :)

:cheers:

It [the Brent} flows into the canal just below the Hanwell flight, and also tops up the Welsh Harp reservoir which supplies the Paddington Arm,

The Brent also flows under the North Circular Road aqueduct. I once tried to do the full circle in a canoe - starting at Hanwell I hoped to reach the North Circular, then climb up the aqueduct and paddle back via the canal. I got as far as Hanger Lane but there was a big-ish weir that I couldn't climb up!