Get it right, Bizz:

Oh, dear, what can the matter be

Three old ladies locked in the lavatory

They were there from Monday to Saturday

Nobody knew they were there

They went in together because it was quicker

they should have been having tea with the Vicar

and nobody knew they were there.

Should these be in the "From my portry book" thread in the VP?

Beware of the W.C. at Cropredy sanny station. It has some kind of double-turn Yale lock. Last year I shut the door behind me while using it and got locked in until my hammering on the door and stentorian cries alerted another boater to open the door from the outside.

I did subsequently report this problem to CART but I don't know if they have fixed it. So, if you're using that W.C. I recommend that you leave the door shut to (or "ajar" as Suvners would say).

Get it right, Bizz:

Oh, dear, what can the matter be

Three old ladies locked in the lavatory

They were there from Monday to Saturday

Nobody knew they were there

SUNDAY till Saturday :rolleyes:

Beware of the W.C. at Cropredy sanny station. It has some kind of double-turn Yale lock. Last year I shut the door behind me while using it and got locked in until my hammering on the door and stentorian cries alerted another boater to open the door from the outside.

I did subsequently report this problem to CART but I don't know if they have fixed it. So, if you're using that W.C. I recommend that you leave the door shut to (or "ajar" as Suvners would say).

I call them sanity stations but yours sounds a bit like a secure unit so could be called an insanity station ?

They sit there regarding their plight with abhorrence

They yell for the porter, a fellow named Laurence

The cistern is now overflowing in torrents

And nobody knows they are there

They're sorry to cut such a terrible caper

They've twisted the roll into one big long taper

They're trying to crochet a rope out of paper

And nobody knows they are there

The moral of this story, that's if there is any

Is one that is surely familiar to many

Never to try for three pees with one penny

If nobody knows you are there!

From my memories of Paddy Roberts, cabaret artiste, from the 60s.

Dave

• Greenie 1

Two blokes locked in the rubbish compound at Barbridge.

We went in, the wind blew the door shut, no way out other than scaling the wall.

or shouting

help.gif

This is terrbly bad form. It's a problem widely recognised in the world of building. All doors with self-latching catches are always fitted with opening handles on both sides no matter how small the room of cupboard. In fact the smaller the cupboard the more important the internal opening handle as getting trapped inside a cupboard can be fatal.

I'm not sure but it may written into the Building Regulations.

This is terrbly bad form. It's a problem widely recognised in the world of building. All doors with self-latching catches are always fitted with opening handles on both sides no matter how small the room of cupboard. In fact the smaller the cupboard the more important the internal opening handle as getting trapped inside a cupboard can be fatal.

I'm not sure but it may written into the Building Regulations.

Perhaps the Building Regs don't apply to a compound, as opposed to a building, simply because you can (in theory) climb over the fence?

Perhaps the Building Regs don't apply to a compound, as opposed to a building, simply because you can (in theory) climb over the fence?

Quite probably true but 'all good builders' (to paraphrase a saying) will be aware of the risk of getting locked in and fit an internal handle.

About 8 years ago someone busted the Yale striker plate off the doorpost of the sanny in B. Stortford. I arrived there, the door was swinging open in the wind. For fear of it getting vandalized I screwed a strip of Mecanno in place of the plate, for the latch to latch behind, temporarily, Its still there!!! despite the fact that the place has recently been ''done up'',painted, door painted, tiled, and roof repaired.

It might be beyond the ability of some workmen to fit a handle inside to open the door. In which case a dirty great crow bar, Jemmy or police type door forcer should be provided inside, hanging on a string, along with a clothes peg for noses.

Quite probably true but 'all good builders' (to paraphrase a saying) will be aware of the risk of getting locked in and fit an internal handle.

The W.C. at Cropredy does have an internal handle; but on the occasion I mentioned, it would not open the door.

About 8 years ago someone busted the Yale striker plate off the doorpost of the sanny in B. Stortford. I arrived there, the door was swinging open in the wind. For fear of it getting vandalized I screwed a strip of Mecanno in place of the plate, for the latch to latch behind, temporarily, Its still there!!! despite the fact that the place has recently been ''done up'',painted, door painted, tiled, and roof repaired.

It might be beyond the ability of some workmen to fit a handle inside to open the door. In which case a dirty great crow bar, Jemmy or police type door forcer should be provided inside, hanging on a string, along with a clothes peg for noses.

And I wan it back. I have an incomplete Mecanno model because of it.

Edited by bizzard

Cropredy was not the only facility where a deadlock Yale has been fitted, immobilising the interior handle if the lock had inadvertently been turned when removing the key. The waterfront at Brierley Hill also had one, and a friend of mine spent 1 1/2 hours in the shower! I think they have now all been replaced, but I still check the operation before closing any doors.

Thanks for that explanation, Ex-B, so a deadlock Yale was my undoing?

Since that near-fateful day, I just don't completely close the door. As I only ever indulge in loo-facing activities in there, all a passer-by would see would be my back view, which they're welcome to if they're sad enough.

Thanks for that explanation, Ex-B, so a deadlock Yale was my undoing?

Since that near-fateful day, I just don't completely close the door. As I only ever indulge in loo-facing activities in there, all a passer-by would see would be my back view, which they're welcome to if they're sad enough.

Having said that, if you enjoyed your enforced seclusion, you could have been said to have had....

....wait for it....

...a deadlock holiday.

Having said that, if you enjoyed your enforced seclusion, you could have been said to have had....

....wait for it....

...a deadlock holiday.

Hoorah! Have 10cc of the tipple of your choice.

(No I bloody well didn't!)