Smelly toilet help please

Northcountrygirl

Featured Posts

Just leave it alone and don't put anything in there.

It will take a week or two for the tank to settle down but after that there will be no smell and no cost.

Adding chemicals and potions just makes matters worse.

Same here, although for 8 years going on 9.

I have never understood why people spend loads on chemicals to add to the tank when all they do is make the smell worse.

Agreed -- with a macerator in our case. Chemical cleaning agents and bleach stop the natural decomposition too, so elbow grease is effectively the only way to keep the bog clean.

Agreed -- with a macerator in our case. Chemical cleaning agents and bleach stop the natural decomposition too, so elbow grease is effectively the only way to keep the bog clean.

I need to use a bit of 10% phosphoric acid every six months or so to clean uric acid scale out of the macerator. I aim to do it when the tank is pretty full, so little impact on the buglife.

Do you have a charcoal filter fitted on your breather vent? . We have . On the odd occasion the tank has been extremely full and backed up into the vent thus making the filter wet and useless we may get a smell until we replace the damaged filter . You may need to get a new filter , if you have one fitted . We only use brewers yeast tablets for our tank , no blue/green or any other colours . Bunny

we had one of those filters it made things worse as it stopped the tank breathing properly , maybe nice for passers by but toilet stank inside the bedroom . We took it and the housing out and now it works fine , doesn't seem to both passers by too much either . I suggest you put some microbes like those made by muck munchers for septic tanks down and make sure you are not using any bleach or artificial disinfectant to clean the loo ( use white vinegar it is just as effective ) . We ended up replacing the pipes as well and that helped a lot but you should not have to on a 12month old boat unless substandard pipes were used in the first place .

If its a new boat I assume its a macerator ? don't worry you are not alone and it will keep you occupied with its maintenance needs lol ... The engineer in these parts says he makes 90% of his money out of pump out bogs and bow thrusters . doesn't need any other work lol

Does it work? The Memsahib is a great fan of white vinegar for all sorts of household purposes.

We believe so. We clean the bowl with it, and put some down into the macerator gubbins when we leave the boat for a while. Since doing that we have had less problems with the mechanism sticking.

Steve

Why do they do that? Ususlly just after they've been bathed. Maybe I just answered my own question...

I think it is because dogs are like children, and want to to bring home a memento of the walk. Children put things like pinecones in their pockets, dogs don't have pockets, and prefer smells to pinecones, so...

I think it is because dogs are like children, and want to to bring home a memento of the walk. Children put things like pinecones in their pockets, dogs don't have pockets, and prefer smells to pinecones, so...

Accepted wisdom is that its to disguise their smell so than can creep up on their prey. Trouble with this theory is that most dogs don't really hunt by stealth, more like a pack barking and howling and chasing.

A better theory is that rather like a woman putting on perfume before a night out, or a man with aftershave, they are just wanting to make a social impact, it certainly does make an impact but perhaps not in quite the same as perfume.

..............Dave.

I have many mementoes from my travels. I have a bulbous nose from walking into a lampost in Leigh-on-Sea. I have a sea shell from the Sinai desert. An opened 1/4lb of horrible tea from a tea farm in the Caucus mountains of Russia, a pine cone from Hampshire, a wheel nut that fell off a Ford Capri in Dagenham. A bit of a brake block that fell of a train passing our foot crossing, to name just a few.

A better theory is that rather like a woman putting on perfume before a night out, or a man with aftershave, they are just wanting to make a social impact, it certainly does make an impact but perhaps not in quite the same as perfume.

..............Dave.

Some of the perfume that the young ladies I knew probably compares well