End of an Era

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

It is with mixed emotions that I can announce that Helvetia now has new owners. We hope they get as much enjoyment from her as we have had over the past 19 years.

Not much more I can say really, except that Braunston Marina handled the sale very efficiently and professionally, keeping us fully informed at all stages of the sale.

You'll be fine David.

We thought we would have mixed feelings when we sold Grebe last month. But she went to a new owner who will really love her as much as we did for 17 years. In the end it was a sense of relief that we felt.

We have friends who have decided that at mid 70s and 80s boating is too much for them and they have decided to sell. On return from delivering the boat to the brokers as their last voyage, all they reported was a sense of relief.

In reality if it was going to cause heartache you would never have reached the decision to sell in the first place.

Agreed :) an "old school" leisure narrow boat.

Hopefully you'll stay on the forum David and if you haven't got the energy to do the windlass book please send me your research as I have been considering setting up an online "museum" of boating tools as I am also very much an iron anorak ;)

It is with mixed emotions that I can announce that Helvetia now has new owners. We hope they get as much enjoyment from her as we have had over the past 19 years.

Not much more I can say really, except that Braunston Marina handled the sale very efficiently and professionally, keeping us fully informed at all stages of the sale.

Does that mean you are now boatless?

They say that the two happiest days of your life are the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it. It's clearly not always absolutely true as your 'mixed emotions' comment attests but, once the decision is made, I'm sure it's a relief. Best wishes for your life after boating. :)

'Welcome to the rest of your life'

I am very poor at remaining objective when it comes to possessions, and like dogs and other pets, things like boats and cars become so core to our lives that its a significant thing to let go. Not everyone has this, and I have friends who change their car/boat/etc frequently as the mood takes them, but having only ever parted with a car by writing it off so far (I one which needs to go, but hasnt yet) have little to relate to in this respect.

However, at the flip side, many of these things are also a burden on your time and money, you cant do it all, and new things are good.

Daniel

Daniel

You'll be fine David.

We thought we would have mixed feelings when we sold Grebe last month. But she went to a new owner who will really love her as much as we did for 17 years. In the end it was a sense of relief that we felt.

I must remember to be careful what I shout if I see her on the Broads then

Edited by ditchcrawler

'Welcome to the rest of your life'

I am very poor at remaining objective when it comes to possessions, and like dogs and other pets, things like boats and cars become so core to our lives that its a significant thing to let go. Not everyone has this, and I have friends who change their car/boat/etc frequently as the mood takes them, but having only ever parted with a car by writing it off so far (I one which needs to go, but hasnt yet) have little to relate to in this respect.

However, at the flip side, many of these things are also a burden on your time and money, you cant do it all, and new things are good.

Daniel

Daniel

The trouble is a bote is more than a possession. It's a combo of an art work (if it's a good un), a passport to a lifestyle and a voyage of dreams.

Edited by mark99

Good luck for the future, and hope you will stick around.

The trouble is a bote is more than a possession. It's a combo of an art work (if it's a good un), a passport to a lifestyle and a voyage of dreams.

That's very true. Possessions are over-rated but a good boat transcends that. I am glad Helvetia has sold and I look forward to seeing it out and about on the cut.

JP

Does that mean you are now boatless?

Yes it does, and that is the way it is going to be from now on. I will probably turn up at one or two rallies, possibly even a banter if there is one where i can get reasonable accomodation nearby, but I have no plans to ever get onto the back end of a boat again. It is over fify years since I first steered a narrow boat, so I think I have had a good run.

Been a long time since your " Pisces" days but as the saying goes when one door closes etc. the best to you & hope whatever path you choose to follow it will provide you with the enjoyment you had over your boating period.

Congrats with finally having sold "Helvetia", I still don't understand why it has taken such a long time to sell a very good boat, that wasn't one of the youngest, but in very good condition.

I have no use for a narrowboat, if not (that is if I'd had the money) I would have bought her.

Enjoy the rest of your new boatless life as much as you can.

Peter.

Congrats with finally having sold "Helvetia", I still don't understand why it has taken such a long time to sell a very good boat, that wasn't one of the youngest, but in very good condition.

I have no use for a narrowboat, if not (that is if I'd had the money) I would have bought her.

Enjoy the rest of your new boatless life as much as you can.

Peter.

Yes it does seem a long time since we first sought to sell her back in September last year, but once we had decided to place her with Braunston Marina, It actually only took two weeks for them to get a buyer with a firm offer, the further delay was largely due to the surveyor being on holiday and busy during his first week back, but still only two months from start to finish.

Been a long time since your " Pisces" days but as the saying goes when one door closes etc. the best to you & hope whatever path you choose to follow it will provide you with the enjoyment you had over your boating period.

Ah yes, those youthful days, and especially 1967 when I met you at the Leicester IWA rally. Remind me.it wasn't your boat that we pulled backwards along the length of boats in the "tug -o - war" contest was it?

Edited by David Schweizer

Yes it does seem a long time since we first sought to sell her back in September last year, but once we had decided to place her with Braunston Marina, It actually only took two weeks for them to get a buyer with a firm offer, the further delay was largely due to the surveyor being on holiday and busy during his first week back, but still only two months from start to finish.

Ah yes, those youthful days, and especially 1967 when I met you at the Leicester IWA rally. Remind me.it wasn't your boat that we pulled backwards along the length of boats in the "tug -o - war" contest was it?

Nope not me or mine, & brain fade has set in to a degree I can not remember who it was