Is it me or is it widebeams?

starman

Featured Posts

One of those super-wide widebeams arrived on the waterpoint here at Gargrave last night at about 6pm, moored there all night and this morning at 11 a.m. he's still there - now filling his tank and washing his boat. (No shortage of regular moorings here at the time, I'd just add.)

Maybe I just notice when widebeams do this but I have to say that some seem more ignorant or uncaring of the rules and of other boaters than us narrowboaters.

Retires to the bombshelter and awaits incoming from widebeamers!

• Greenie 1

One of those super-wide widebeams arrived on the waterpoint here at Gargrave last night at about 6pm, moored there all night and this morning at 11 a.m. he's still there - now filling his tank and washing his boat. (No shortage of regular moorings here at the time, I'd just add.)

Maybe I just notice when widebeams do this but I have to say that some seem more ignorant or uncaring of the rules and of other boaters than us narrowboaters.

I think to buy and use one of those super-widebeams on the southern canals requires a somewhat thicker skin than most normal people have.

This slightly elevated sense of entitlement then also manifests itself in the water point hogging described, and a tendency not to be too bothered about causing an obstruction when mooring.

Tin hat on ready for the incoming!

• Greenie 3

Couldn't agree more....think they tend to be brought by people with no interest in waterways other than as a "cheap" home hence no regard for other users. Added to that most of them are pig ugly.....boats & owners!

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 2

Yeah, good plan. Don't forget the huge discount for only being able to access a small part of the system. Widebeams cause very few problems & damage on narrow canals. Narrowboats cause problems everywhere.

It was a wide beam that caused the damage closing Caen Hill. Just saying...

Yeah, good plan. Don't forget the huge discount for only being able to access a small part of the system. Widebeams cause very few problems & damage on narrow canals. Narrowboats cause problems everywhere.

Plus narrowboats cause more damage to locks on wide canals as many owners only open one side of the lock gates.

I have to modify my opening remarks because we (another boat and myself) met him at the last Gargrave lock. He was single handing and had just got it ready but was still tied up at the landing so he insisted we go first. He even helped.

So not all bad,eh. Still naughty to have overnighted on the water point.

And I still dislike wbs.

And I would licence boats by length x width EA style on the basis that no system is perfect but that's more perfect than others.

If you mean "Fat Narrowboats" then yes, they are wrong but a proper wide beamed boat, say an L&L Shortboat, is a lovely thing.

Yes, point taken. I did mean fat narrowboats.

Their proportions are just offensive to the eye. In the same way as a badly edited photograph that has been stretched and squashed to fit in the available place.

Plus narrowboats cause more damage to locks on wide canals as many owners only open one side of the lock gates.

No!

Narrowboaters are used to slipping into narrow locks so its just as easy to enter a broad lock, using only a single gate, without touching.

ETA But then half the time the closed gate swings open of it's own accord as you bring the boat in. Self preservation you might say? I'd say it's the gate just being dammned awkward!

Edited by Victor Vectis

No discount is due because

1) Widebeams use parts of the system twice as much because they don't have access to other parts.

2) The owners could have bought a narrow boat in the first place anyway!

No discount is due because

1) Widebeams use parts of the system twice as much because they don't have access to other parts.

2) The owners could have bought a narrow boat in the first place anyway!

3) Many narrowboaters haven't travelled anything like all of the system.

Yes, point taken. I did mean fat narrowboats.

Their proportions are just offensive to the eye. In the same way as a badly edited photograph that has been stretched and squashed to fit in the available place.

No!

Narrowboaters are used to slipping into narrow locks so its just as easy to enter a broad lock, using only a single gate, without touching.

As the gates don't usually open fully, most narrowboats tend to rub against the other lock gate rubbing against sealing face so causing the gate to leak. You can usually see the lower gates leaking for this reason.

Really??? frusty.gif

Is it that slow out there that we are having this conversation Again? For real? I thought this was a winter topic?

I really don't think you'll ever convince me it's nothing more than "male reproduction organ envy"detective.gif

I had started to write a long winded reply about all the different types of boats out there and that there's a boat for everyone, just take your time and you'll find something that suites you, but really can't be asked. fatigue.gif

• Greenie 1

Really??? frusty.gif

Is it that slow out there that we are having this conversation Again? For real? I thought this was a winter topic?

I really don't think you'll ever convince me it's nothing more than "male reproduction organ envy"detective.gif

I had started to write a long winded reply about all the different types of boats out there and that there's a boat for everyone, just take your time and you'll find something that suites you, but really can't be asked. fatigue.gif

On the contrary.....us people with sensible boats have nothing to prove in that department....

Cheers.

Gareth.

• Greenie 1