Is it me or is it widebeams?

starman

Featured Posts

Last weekend, whilst cruising my enormous, 60ft x 10ft boat on the K&A, I shared a lock with a 45ft narrowboat. Side by side, and the boats didn't even touch. Anyone care to "name that lock".

Fobney Lock.

I have been asking myself that same question throughout but I can't see any trace of irony or humour in the antagonistic posts. Hence I conclude they are either serious or the poster lacks self awareness.

Interesting to note it's prompted a wheeled boater and a paddler/hire boatist to question the sentiments.

JP

"Wheeled boater".

I do like that.

One of those super-wide widebeams arrived on the waterpoint here at Gargrave last night at about 6pm, moored there all night and this morning at 11 a.m. he's still there - now filling his tank and washing his boat. (No shortage of regular moorings here at the time, I'd just add.)

Maybe I just notice when widebeams do this but I have to say that some seem more ignorant or uncaring of the rules and of other boaters than us narrowboaters.

Retires to the bombshelter and awaits incoming from widebeamers!

I find many NB owners to be equally arrogant ( I own a narrowboat.)

Edited by Guest

Last weekend, whilst cruising my enormous, 60ft x 10ft boat on the K&A, I shared a lock with a 45ft narrowboat. Side by side, and the boats didn't even touch. Anyone care to "name that lock".

Aldermaston?

Please dont take this the wrong way either but thankfully I won't have to share a lock with you anytime soon either.

You are touchy when anyone dares to say that fat boats aren't perfect.....I do wonder if you are slowly realising that they just may not be the best choice for the majority of inland waterways of this country.

And I'm afraid I'm just as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

Cheers

Gareth.

I have had a narrowboat, and now have something that is between a fatboat and a dutch barge, and I happy to forgo the bits of waterways I cant get to for the sheer comfort and space a big boat gives you

I shared a lock with another wide beam up here in the North in fact there were 5 widebeams in the lock in total bliss sheer bliss

Oooh, loads of shareable locks on the K&A then. I was in Sheffield lock at Theale.

Ah yes, the scallop-sided lock. Yes that's HUGE innit!

As Terry Darlington once wrote "27 locks designed by 27 madmen"... very true...

I think WBs look amazing blush.png It's a bit like looking inside a whale seeing them on the net.

The way they are laid out, and the fact that they float is stunning. I would have one if i didn't have to move and could afford it.

I'd get a Rotti and a GSD and wrestle all day long (it's big enough)

I like the variety & also that you can see the remains of the old turf locks near some of the newer ones.

I like the variety & also that you can see the remains of the old turf locks near some of the newer ones.

"Turf sided" must be the biggest misnomer of all time. WHAT a disappointment they are, the first time you encounter one. Not a blade of grass in sight. Just 8ft high weeds.

Yes, but he also described wide beams as "cow pats"!

Edited by NickF