Is it me or is it widebeams?

starman

Featured Posts

And sandwiches.

Now - that's a tricky one. A good sandwich needs just the right amount of squash, and it depends on the filling. I think a cheese-an-termato sandwich needs a bit more squash than a ham sanwich for example

Richard

I'd love to know what all these problems are.

Graham, are you being obtuse just for the sake of it?

Wherever boats go, they cause problems : wear & tear, damage, hold-ups, noise, whatever. Not every boat, not every time, but it happens.

It follows that as narrowboats can access most if not all of the system, then narrowboats cause problems everywhere.

It also follows that widebeams can't & don't.

Please may I ask you a couple of questions Gareth; SAM

Do you live on your boat? No

Does your boat fufill your wants & needs of it? Yes

Are you happy with your boat? More than just yes

Just accept.

Fat arse narrowboats might be comfortable to live on but they just look piggin' ugly.

Oh they get steered??.....the ones I've seen tend to get pointed in the rough direction while the person on the back hopes for the best........usually while revving the nuts off the engine....and using a pathetic bow thruster.......

Hey ho

Gareth

I appear to have run out.

Greenie promised for tomorrow.

Would give you several greenies if i knew how. A boat is a boat, a boater a boater...

Ian.

Yeah but..................

Some boaters boats look a lot nicer than some other boaters boats.

...unless I've missed it I have yet to see a wb owner constantly spouting off negative views on narrowboat ownership.

Probably because there aren't any negatives about narrow boats to spout off about!

There will be fantastic narrowboat owners out on the waterways I'm sure but I bet there's a good number of them who fellow nb owners give a very wide berth and likewise there will be good and bad wb owners on the water too. I could be wrong but is it the wb itself people have issues with or their misconception of the wb owners in general?

It's the boating (or more accurately, the mooring) behaviour of a subset of widebeam owners.

It is quite probable that an equal number of narrow boat owners have similar attitudes to mooring but it shows up a whole lot less as their boats don't take up 49% of the width of the canal.

Whereas my sleek 10 footer looks damn fine.

Actually, the last time I saw a certain deep-draughted, trad type & definitely good looking narrowboat, moored up, was just below Dun Mill lock on about 3ft of plank. My boat can get snug to the bank there. Which one was taking up more room?

And no bow-thruster on my boat. I just put it in tickover & it finds it's own way down the cut. it is a barge after all.

You might like to give this a try, it's worked for me quite well in the past. If I find something unpleasant in my line of sight, I look away in the other direction then the offensive object is no longer a problem

An interesting philosophy but, sadly, it does not stop the object causing the offence from existing.

Whereas my sleek 10 footer looks damn fine.

Should have gone to specsavers?

Probably because there aren't any negatives about narrow boats to spout off about!

You rarely find pump-out owners trying to convince others they made the right decision. Life is just not toilet-dominated when you have the right system

Richard

Graham, are you being obtuse just for the sake of it?

Wherever boats go, they cause problems : wear & tear, damage, hold-ups, noise, whatever. Not every boat, not every time, but it happens.

It follows that as narrowboats can access most if not all of the system, then narrowboats cause problems everywhere.

It also follows that widebeams can't & don't.

So why didn't you say that?

You rarely find pump-out owners trying to convince others they made the right decision. Life is just not toilet-dominated when you have the right system

Richard

I knew I'd made the right decision the one (and only) time I attempted to empty the pump-out tank on my recently purchased NB. The stink was gut-wrenching but I persisted, and £45 later the tank was fairly empty.

I sealed it off and bought a porta-potti, and never paid ever again to dump... err...

I knew I'd made the right decision the one (and only) time I attempted to empty the pump-out tank on my recently purchased NB. The stink was gut-wrenching but I persisted, and £45 later the tank was fairly empty.

I sealed it off and bought a porta-potti, and never paid ever again to dump... err...

Meh - your incompetence has no relevance

Richard

The boat moored next to me utterly stank, too... tracked it down to their pump out vent. My incompetence knows no bounds, it appears!

How's Jenniffer Gleniffer coming along?

Extreme corrosion on the outside of the liners is causing as bit of a problem. Three inches of silt in the water space is merely amusing

Richard

Odd how cool she ran then!

Do the liners need to come out then? I thought you'd found very little wear. Is it to get the silt out?

Is it time to scrap it and look for a JP2 or something else interesting?

Odd how cool she ran then!

Do the liners need to come out then? I thought you'd found very little wear. Is it to get the silt out?

Is it time to scrap it and look for a JP2 or something else interesting?

Indeed

Yes

No

Look, this isn't the time or place

Richard

As a regular. (and hopefully competant ) hireboater my opinion would be let's not judge people by their boats! Fair enough for the OP to complain about his behaviour at the water point but the fact the he is fat is irrelevant.

Should have gone to specsavers?

Are they making boats now?

This thread is a joke thread, yes?

Yes, mostly. Don't think we've got to the punchline yet.

Edited by Lady Cassandra
Ridicule towards another member
  • Greenie 1

This thread is a joke thread, yes?

I have been asking myself that same question throughout but I can't see any trace of irony or humour in the antagonistic posts. Hence I conclude they are either serious or the poster lacks self awareness.

Interesting to note it's prompted a wheeled boater and a paddler/hire boatist to question the sentiments.

JP

I have no problem with a boat of any beam - as long as it is 'boat shaped'

The aesthetic problem (to me) comes when 'metal bashing' firms decide to make a wide beam which is purely a widened and lengthened skip with a lid on it, for me, many Widebeam derivatives of a NB fall in this category.

Over 30 years I have had boats varying from 6' 6" to 7' to 9' to 12' 6" to 14' beam so I am not 'NB Centric' or 'WB Centric'.

The 'problems' are generated by inconsiderate owners / drivers, and in my experience the number of inconsiderate owner/drivers is higher with WBs, maybe it is just that they do not appreciate that mooring in a narrow part of the cut affects others more than if they were a NB, or, maybe it is because many WB owners see their 'boat' as floating accommodation, rather than as a means to 'enjoy boating'.

There are good & bad, considerate & inconsiderate in all walks of life.

I have no problem with a boat of any beam - as long as it is 'boat shaped'

The aesthetic problem (to me) comes when 'metal bashing' firms decide to make a wide beam which is purely a widened and lengthened skip with a lid on it, for me, many Widebeam derivatives of a NB fall in this category.

Over 30 years I have had boats varying from 6' 6" to 7' to 9' to 12' 6" to 14' beam so I am not 'NB Centric' or 'WB Centric'.

The 'problems' are generated by inconsiderate owners / drivers, and in my experience the number of inconsiderate owner/drivers is higher with WBs, maybe it is just that they do not appreciate that mooring in a narrow part of the cut affects others more than if they were a NB, or, maybe it is because many WB owners see their 'boat' as floating accommodation, rather than as a means to 'enjoy boating'.

There are good & bad, considerate & inconsiderate in all walks of life.

Maybe, but if the debate doesn't rise above 'your boat is ugly' that will never change.

JP