Braunston Tunnel - advice for my first time

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

Done!

We went through Braunston locks this morning, mooring for lunch just above the top lock (plentiful armco moorings with only one other boat) at 12.30. No boats went past in an hour and then 2 in the next half hour. We went into an empty tunnel at 2.10 and then out at 2.30 having passed 1 boat a few hundred yards before the end. We both hugged our walls and made no contact with each other.

I had plenty of light pointing at the roof, in addition to the tunnel light, and this very helpful in avoiding disorientation.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Edited by MrBeethoven

Done!

We went through Braunston locks this morning, mooring for lunch just above the top lock (plentiful armco moorings with only one other boat) at 12.30. No boats went past in an hour and then 2 in the next half hour. We went into an empty tunnel at 2.10 and then out at 2.30 having passed 1 boat a few hundred yards before the end. We both hugged our walls and made no contact with each other.

I had plenty of light pointing at the roof, in addition to the tunnel light, and this very helpful in avoiding disorientation.

That is an average speed of 3.5mph, so you did not hang about, which is the right thing to do.

Done!

Well I'm mighty glad you made it MrB! Looks like you made it look easy in the end, but the collective sigh of relief here was almost palpable. ;) What's next? :)

I thought everyone would be relieved, I could almost sense the concern and anticipation. Next will be my first lock staircase.

Oh no! I wasn't told to look out for a ghost. I may have missed it when I was concentratin hard on spotting the kinks before reaching them, a task at which I failed miserably.

Edited by MrBeethoven

I find this too. I'm trying to come up with a way of illuminating the roof and walls at the front and back that doesn't blind a boater as they pass alongside

And well done! These may be only small challenges, they are still challenges and need to be celebrated when you complete them

Richard

I find this too. I'm trying to come up with a way of illuminating the roof and walls at the front and back that doesn't blind a boater as they pass alongside

And well done! These may be only small challenges, they are still challenges and need to be celebrated when you complete them

Richard

Here is one option. I just point the light to the right when passing another boat.

http://judgefamily.org.uk/2013/rear_spot.jpg

Richard

I bought one of these to keep on the boat, plus a cigar lighter plug, and pointed it up and right from the stern.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UV2JVQ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And one of these solar/PIR ones for the house, but borrowed it for the boat, and pointed it up and left.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015OH2EVG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neither were as bright as the tunnel light but they were easily good enough. The solar one frequently cut out, until I put my finger over the PIR, so I'll cover the PIR with black tape for the next tunnel.

I thought everyone would be relieved, I could almost sense the concern and anticipation. Next will be my first lock staircase.

Oh no! I wasn't told to look out for a ghost. I may have missed it when I was concentratin hard on spotting the kinks before reaching them, a task at which I failed miserably.

Is that Watford, if so go and find the lock keeper as soon as you arrive, He notes the boat name and that is the order you go up in, so if you mess around at the bottom and two following boaters walk up ahead and find him you will be back of the queue.

Edit

Don't go into the bottom lock until you have his/her OK to do so.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Is that Watford, if so go and find the lock keeper as soon as you arrive, He notes the boat name and that is the order you go up in, so if you mess around at the bottom and two following boaters walk up ahead and find him you will be back of the queue.

Edit

Don't go into the bottom lock until you have his/her OK to do so.

It is indeed. Thanks for that advice. I'm planning to do just that tomorrow morning as I read that advice in an old thread recently.

Last time I did it, there were quite a few bats in Crick tunnel! They seemed quite friendly.

MrBeethoven, on 13 Jul 2016 - 5:41 PM, said:

It is indeed. Thanks for that advice. I'm planning to do just that tomorrow morning as I read that advice in an old thread recently.

Dinna fash, laddie - you've done the nasty bit already. A tunnel removes your normal sensory feelings.

At least a flight of locks is in the open air.

Once your in the four you're in control - well probably not 'cos you'll be on board and others will be wielding their windlae (plural of windlass).

If you're roping through then it's "Red before white" ( or is it the other way around...)

Lie / sit back and thing of England.....

Dinna fash, laddie - you've done the nasty bit already. A tunnel removes your normal sensory feelings.

At least a flight of locks is in the open air.

Once your in the four you're in control - well probably not 'cos you'll be on board and others will be wielding their windlae (plural of windlass).

If you're roping through then it's "Red before white" ( or is it the other way around...)

Lie / sit back and thing of England.....

Red before white you're all right.

White before red you're dead!

All due to the side ponds.

Edited by Ray T

• 2 weeks later...

I had a horrible time on my first tunnel when I was a new boater. Didn't even have a light and couldn't see the end of the tunnel. All I saw was sparks from the hand rails. All I can say is make sure you have a light and a backup light :D

Well done MrB ☺ when I picked my boat up (all of 2 weeks ago, so a hardened pro now ), we had to go through Blisworth, had my dad at the tiller - he has more experience than me, my mum in front with a light, all lights on and windows open and a brolly at the ready to stop me and dad from getting a soaking in the tunnel (thanks to all with info on where to avoid ☺) ☺

We passed a couple of boats and my dad kept well away from them by scraping my boat up the wall he is a fit and healthy 75 but is a bit on the deaf side so unfortunately, all he could almost hear was me shouting "Dad, stop scraping my effing and jeffing boat on the effing and jeffing wall!!!" Followed by dad saying "sorry, what did you say love?"

Mum made him a lovely coffee with brandy in it and it sounded much worse in the tunnel than any damage I could actually see so turned out nice again after all

I read this with interest as I also did the Braunston tunnel as my very first long tunnel experience a few weeks ago. I was coming up to the entrance with a boat catching up behind me. Since I didn't want to be pressured by them on my heels I let them past before the entrance. Which turned out great, because I found it much easier to have a boat some way ahead of me to illuminate where we were going (apart from the diesel fumes).

I never noticed the kink. It all felt a bit wiggly to be honest.

I tried to wait for another boat to go ahead again a few days later in Blisworth, but none came. Ah well. It was fine and the tunnel was very straight. Even passing a boat was no problem.

That trip is now done and dusted for us and we're back home now, at least until Tuesday when we go back for another trip with two grandsons aged 10 and 12 (their first time so they're pretty excited).

We went through three tunnels (Braunston, Crick and Husbands Bosworth) and two lock staircases (Watford and Foxton, all in both directions. No tunnel mishaps, passed 1 or 2 boats in each tunnel but made no contact with any of them. The same cannot be said of the tunnel walls but the paintwork and new blacking seemed to come out fairly unscathed as far as I can tell.

Foxton locks were busy (Sunday down, Thursday back up) and entailed a wait in the middle on the way down and an almost 2 hour wait to come back up. Lots of questions, and some help, from the gongoozlers. I did all the paddles and the Mrs did the boat-moving, despite some trepidation due to the audience. All went well though.

We spent 3 nights on the Market Harborough Arm, including one night in the basin for £10. Fish and chips at Blue Waves in MH were excellent but we were sadly unable to try The Beerhouse as it was closed the 1st day and didn't open until 6 the 2nd day, by which time we had left.

We also spent 1 night moored near the Wharf Inn at the end of the Welford Arm. Very good value meal there, with extremely quick service, for £6 each at lunchtime plus £3 for dessert. The ale was none too shabby either, a choice of 4 IIRC.

On the way back I spotted, and said hello to, RLWP as he passed by us, moored near Flecknoe, on Tawny Owl.

On the last day (last Thursday) we got back through Calcutt Locks and into the marina late morning about an hour before some very heavy rain. Thanks to the BBC Weather Forecast for providing an accurate forecast, based on which I adjusted my timings to ensure we weren't passing through the locks in a downpour.

I didn't want to come home at the end, after 18 nights, but at least we get to go back again a few days later, albeit for a much shorter time and trip.

On the way back I spotted, and said hello to, RLWP as he passed by us, moored near Flecknoe, on Tawny Owl.

Yes, it was good to see you. I had completely forgotten about this thread when we met

Richard

Yes, it was good to see you. I had completely forgotten about this thread when we met

Richard

Such a brief meeting though as you went whizzing by (not suggesting you were speeding though and I was properly moored up anyway). I was relaxing in a chair on the bank in fine weather whilst MrsB was making her final "face the world" preparations before we cast off for the final leg of our journey back to Calcutt before the heavens opened.

Perhaps next time I spot you (though that was the first time in almost a year since buying the boat) we'll have time to chat. I assume you must pass that way fairly frequently though so I'll keep a lookout.

Sean

You looked like you had been boating for ever

Richard

Good, that's the impression I like to give!

Mind you, in a way we have. Before buying we hired 5 times over the years starting with cruisers on the Broads in 1976 and the Thames in 1978.

As we will have owned the boat a year by next Sunday I was earlier working out how much use we've made of it in the first 12 months. It turns out we have been to the boat 18 times (fortunately we only live an hour away in Abingdon - looking forward to taking the boat there next year after getting a 2017 gold licence) and have spent just over 90 nights on board, roughly half of which have been away from the marina.

Only 180 engine hours though, I like nice relaxing easy days, often just a few hours cruising and then a bit of chilling out.