In line water filter

lesrollins

Featured Posts

We use one of these.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/high-capacity-water-filter-kit-10-/16747?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Heating%20and%20Plumbing&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CJ6qm-Xc0s0CFYIK0wod0GQIZA

We have an elderly galvanised tank that needs replacing in the future. That filter has prolonged the useful life of the tank no end.

Filters are cheap and changed regularly.

We use one of these.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/high-capacity-water-filter-kit-10-/16747?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Heating%20and%20Plumbing&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CJ6qm-Xc0s0CFYIK0wod0GQIZA

We have an elderly galvanised tank that needs replacing in the future. That filter has prolonged the useful life of the tank no end.

We use one of these.

We use one of these.

I think he ^^^^ uses one of those!

If you're putting potable water into a fresh water tank and system designed to store and dispense potable water and then can't drink it, there's something wrong with your fresh water system. You could fix it or clean it and avoid ongoing expense and faff or leave it and fit filters, etc, to try to make up for the fact you didn't. Just a thought. :)

I think he ^^^^ uses one of those!

If you're putting potable water into a fresh water tank and system designed to store and dispense potable water and then can't drink it, there's something wrong with your fresh water system. You could fix it or clean it and avoid ongoing expense and faff or leave it and fit filters, etc, to try to make up for the fact you didn't. Just a thought. :)

:)

Cheaper and easier than doing the tank - a job that I can't put off for ever though.

More pressing jobs like keel bolts, sea cocks and heads to attend to at the moment.

:)

Cheaper and easier than doing the tank - a job that I can't put off for ever though.

More pressing jobs like keel bolts, sea cocks and heads to attend to at the moment.

Fair enough Gazza. My post was aimed at the OP rather than you - but that was many, many posts ago! :D

It depends what you want to spend really. As stated firstly the tank and system needs to be kept clean. The problems start with dirty, little used systems. The optimal conditions for water storage is below 20 and above 55 degree C. Anywhere between these Temps the bugs love. They feed on sediment, rust or any other organic crud that gets in there. An annual soak in a disinfection solution and a good flush out of the system can help combat this. Something like Puritan is a good bet.

Then it depends on what you want to do to the water. The carbon filter from screw fix filters to 5 microns so this will remove sediment and the carbon will improve taste and odour lite a Brita jug. The popular Jabsco aqua filter does the same thing. OK for washing and showering. If you are looking to remove all bacteria from the water and make sure that it is drinkable then dig deeper in your wallet. A 10 inch filter cartridge to fit the screw fix enclosure to filter to about 0.2 micron will set you back about £80 but will remove bacterial contamination from water systems. I have seen some stainless steel units popular on boats for about £300 that filter to this level. These may last up to 12 months but if the system is dirty may block much sooner. You could fit two screwfix units, one with carbon to act as a pre filter and a fine filter in the second one for bacteria which would mean changing the carbon regularly.

Here is another type. http://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/Downloads/3M%20E1%20and%20E2%20datasheet.pdf. The replacement cartridges of these are about £90.

The cleaner the water, the higher the cost.

Hi

Anyone use an in-line water filter from the water tank if so any recommendations for a good one to use and where to buy from

Thanks

We have a Whale aqua source in-line filter. The water is always fine even after a few weeks of us not onboard. We also have a Duratank butyl liner in the tank so maybe we dont need the filter, but it was already fitted when we bought the boat.

Steve

Our boat had been standing with a full tank of water for 2 months and Diana complained the tea tasted strange. We washed the new electric plastic kettle out a few more times and the tea was fine again.

Plastic kettles dissolve making your tea taste like TCP.

Plastic kettles dissolve making your tea taste like TCP.

I purchased a SwissLux 'stainless steel' 650w kettle off Amazon, I foolishly failed to read the reviews - it turned out to be a plastic kettle with a stainless wrapper! All the reviews said it made the water taste like shite - they were right!! I boiled it a dozen times or more, it went back not fit for purpose.

I found a low wattage all stainless kettle and toaster package on eBay that is spot on.

Would not entertain a plastic kettle ever again.

Try a Liff CIL or a Culligan equivalent off Ebay. About £7.50 each.

connection is madewith a couple of 1/4"bsp - 15mm connectors. I only run one tap through a filter, leaving shower and hand basin direct from tank. If you fit one, always have a spare to hand, as they can reduce flow quickly to a dribble with little notice.