What time can i move the boat ?

Greylady2

Featured Posts

Personally I prefer to use both hands, but each to their own...

Yes very amusing. I keep using the terms 'night cruising' and 'single handing' to keep the double entendres flowing, many thanks and keep it up!!

(Edited to add another DE :D )

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Thanks Nick,

Yep I never plan to move in the dark but I was wondering if I could move around 6 or 7 am to miss the rush hour lol.

7am I would say is pretty normal, it is common to have a boat pass at 7am. 7am in the summer, full daylight with the day 1/2 done. 7am in the spring/Autumn with the day just starting, misty canal and the wildlife awakening - great. 7am in winter, pitch dark, you feel like you're the only humans about, a totally different take on cruising. 7am on Telemachus, nick and Jeff both sound asleep because we are sensible and don't get up until 8:30! So keep it down please!

7am I would say is pretty normal, it is common to have a boat pass at 7am. 7am in the summer, full daylight with the day 1/2 done. 7am in the spring/Autumn with the day just starting, misty canal and the wildlife awakening - great. 7am in winter, pitch dark, you feel like you're the only humans about, a totally different take on cruising. 7am on Telemachus, nick and Jeff both sound asleep because we are sensible and don't get up until 8:30! So keep it down please!

AOOOOGAAAAA ! At 5.30am

Morning Nick n Geoff.

Lol

I'd say it is not unusual for a boat to pass at 6am.

The bit that phases me is when I'm sure I know which side I've moored on, then an early morning ghost boat cruises past on the towpath side. Creeps me out as I try to resolve it in my doziness!

You may want to check that your dad doesn't have to be on the boat as some insurance stipulates the insured needs to be on board.

Already sorted that one out but good advice. Thanks

Edited by Greylady2

6 weeks now and single handing. Lol

I love it Athy, it's just takes some adjustment when I am walking on busy roads everything seems too fast and out of control.

After we've been away on a long cruise (12+weeks),I can't believe how fast cars are going & I have a death grip on the car seat...?

Deffo an ooh er matron quote... Edited by The Bearwood Boster

After we've been away on a long cruise (12+weeks),I can't believe how fast cars are going & I have a death grip on the car seat...

The thing that surprised me the first half hour in a car after a long cruise (normally on quiet country roads) is what side the other cars want to pass on!

After we've been away on a long cruise (12+weeks),I can't believe how fast cars are going & I have a death grip on the car seat...

Deffo an ooh er matron quote...

I know it's like slow down your all mad Mad I tell ya.......

Certainly puts things into perspective.

The thing that surprised me the first half hour in a car after a long cruise (normally on quiet country roads) is what side the other cars want to pass on!

May I suggest boating in France?

Oh yes. Leaving a friend's house in a quiet suburban estate one evening, after I had been working abroad for a year. "Why is that idiot coming straight at me on my side of the road? Oh..."

I always find the speed staggering on my first half hour in the car after a while afloat. 30mph feels like 100!

1am, night before Xmas eve, going down Marsworth, full moon, no breeze, everything covered with snow, mug of hot soup -- unbeatable... :-)

3.30am on a flat calm River Humber doing 30 knots watching the sun starting to creep over the horizon.

That was unbeatable.

When I'm on my boat I like to set off as the mist is rising..hot cup of tea and wrapped up warm there is nothing to beat travelling along almost empty waterway

It's like that the whole day long here on the K&A!