Living Alone (scary)

Greylady2

Featured Posts

Well I've been sleeping on the boat every night for just over 6 weeks and sometimes at night I can't sleep, I don't mind the reassuring sound of the nappy pins Sqweeling up and down but I have to say I have started to worry about some numpty breaking in and trying to rob stuff or hurt me, I've bought a few items to defend the zombies off.

I often see boats with welded on brackets on their doors with round padlocks but I would never lock my escape entrances off.

I don't stop in ruff areas but one morning I was putting some boat waste in a park bin cough cough and this bloke walk past me then put his hand under a park bench retrieving a small package of (use your imagination).

I feel scared at night when no fellow Moorers are near.

Does anyone else have the same feelings ?

Edit :that bloke in the park says ello every morning and seems proper nice.

Edited by Greylady2

Yes, we do, but only a bit.

We have the advantage of being a couple and an old couple at that. What we like to do when choosing a mooring is 1) avoid a sitting area on the towpath. People gather around sitting areas and can make a racket. 2) Avoid areas where there are beer cans and rubbish scattered around. This indicates a place of gathering for people who drink a lot and don't mind making a mess or a place where one person drinks a huge amount and doesn't mind making a mess.

The places we like are 1) Out in the country where there is no one within miles and no nearby road or airport and you can hear no man made noises when you are settling down to sleep. 2) In built up areas where there are other boats close by.

We have been living aboard for two and a bit years now, continuously cruising in spring, summer, autumn and winter. During that time we had one incident when SWMBO was visiting her mum and some local scrotes untied all my mooring ropes and pushed me out into the middle of the canal. No big deal. (Ah there was one other in Wigan but the one lad didn't succeed and pedalled off down the towpath as soon as he realised that I was awake) I went out in my pyjamas and they ran off. I motored back alongside, moored up again and went back to sleep. If I hadn't noticed that they were untying me I would have woken up in a place which I didn't expect to wake up in and would then have motored back alonside and moored up again.

To guard against this you can chain and padlock the boat to a ring on bollard or put the chain around the stringer on the piling. Alternatively you can put the anchor on the bottom on the side away from the towpath. This is good if there are no other boats close by. The disadvantage if there are boats moored up close to you is that your boat cannot easily be moved if the one next door goes on fire.

The main thing to remember is that all the horrific things that you hear about are really rare. Take normal precautions and you will be fine. Take abnormal precautions and you will work yourself into an unnecessary lather worrying about all the things that might just happen.

Two thoughts, have you considered owning a dog? Good company and a deterrent to unwanted visitors.

I personally don't like nappy pins. Although you say you don't mind them, try mooring chains. The type with a ring at either end. They tend to be much quieter and more secure.

http://www.stoneboatbuilding.co.uk/narrow-boat/mooring-pins/mooring-chain-galvinised.html

I now use the fenders for fibreglass boats being a bigger diameter you can put a bit of compression on them when mooring this will stop nappy pins moving that said chain is best and good advice on the safety chain from previous poster slightly longer than mooring line and best one at each end .No dog why not make a recording of a dog barking that you can play.

improve security on inside as padlocks on outside indicate no one in .

Look at your boat and think if I lost the keys how would I get in

Edited by b0atman

Omgord so much time spent replying and thanks,

Theo, it's my dad's but but I am the liveaboards I mentioned dad let's get some chains instead because most barriers are nackering anyway, I so know what you mean about having other boaters bear you. Thanks

MHS omgord I am working on my dad on the dog front my social worker said the same thing a dog would be ace, I had a Ghd 2 years ago at my parents house. Yerr would love another big boy to fight with lol.

Tie Wraps John yer could make it a bit tricky. Good idea.

Confession time : fresh new pix axe handle and a 20" 10 million power truncheon oops I mean torch. Pffffft lol

Well I've been sleeping on the boat every night for just over 6 weeks and sometimes at night I can't sleep, I don't mind the reassuring sound of the nappy pins Sqweeling up and down but I have to say I have started to worry about some numpty breaking in and trying to rob stuff or hurt me, I've bought a few items to defend the zombies off.

I often see boats with welded on brackets on their doors with round padlocks but I would never lock my escape entrances off.

I don't stop in ruff areas but one morning I was putting some boat waste in a park bin cough cough and this bloke walk past me then put his hand under a park bench retrieving a small package of (use your imagination).

I feel scared at night when no fellow Moorers are near.

Does anyone else have the same feelings ?

Edit :that bloke in the park says ello every morning and seems proper nice.

Keep an air horn by the bed, if in doubt blast the buggers, alternative fit a bloody great horn on the outside of boat with a remote or switch by your bed and let them have a blast of that. the latter will attract some attention from hopefully more helpful and friendly locals

• Greenie 1

I now use the fenders for fibreglass boats being a bigger diameter you can put a bit of compression on them when mooring this will stop nappy pins moving that said chain is best and good advice on the safety chain from previous poster slightly longer than mooring line and best one at each end .No dog why not make a recording of a dog barking that you can play.improve security on inside as padlocks on outside indicate no one in .Look at your boat and think if I lost the keys how would I get in

I bought fo2 big blue's but on the centre rope I can't tie for toffees.

Hides behind sofa.

Our big brave German shepherd didn't make a sound and hid on the boat at the first sign of trouble.

Do you rent him out ? Lol

Keep an air horn by the bed, if in doubt blast the buggers, alternative fit a bloody great horn on the outside of boat with a remote or switch by your bed and let them have a blast of that. the latter will attract some attention from hopefully more helpful and friendly locals

OMG gonna get one off ebay maybe it will stun them while I get the pix axe handle.

Lol

I hope the feds aren't watching.

Edited by Greylady2

I get the feeling she is more worried about someone getting in than cutting her lose

I reckon that if I was tied up I wouldn't mind someone breaking in to cut me loose. unsure.png

Edited by bizzard

Although it's myself and my OH that live on our boat, I did spend a fair amount of time on my own the second summer as Dave was off helping friends of our who ran a Hotel Boat, leaving me on my own a couple of times for upwards of 11 days. We just looked for areas where there were other boats moored within sight, made sure there was armco so we could tie up with Goat chains (as described above)

I did things like make sure all the windows on the tow path side were shut before going to bed, shut most of the curtains on the tow path side, left a night light on in the corridor and as our saloon is at the front and the main bedroom is at the back; I would lock the front door ensuring the keys were close by in case I did need to use that door as a quick exit. The back door (closest to the bedroom) I would leave unlocked, but put the hook and eye closure on the inside of the doors.

The most comfort I had was having "attack Cat Zebby" to keep me company - I think if I was on my own I would have a wee dog, to keep me company and hopfully bark when anyone decided to board the boat at night to raise the alarm so to speak.huh.png

Oh the other thing we would do for those time when I was on my own, is move "nickable" stuff on the roof to the water side rather than have it on the tow path side.

Wot Betty said!

No need for a big dawg.. Nice little pooch who'll keep you company and growl/bark if anyone tries to enter.. If we weren't both working and I were on my own on the boat at all - I'd be straight down the dogs home and rehouse some poor hound like a shot! Dogs are great....

We always make sure we know exactly where we are moored, in case we need to use the mobile phone for assistance, and make sure we have a mobile signal and the phone is has enough charge.

We moor where we are overlooked by residential property, near other boats or in the wilds.

And we have never had any trouble.

Joshua Slocum on the "Spray" used to sprinkle carpet tacks on the deck and then sweep them up each morning.

Edited by johnnie1uk

This may not help, but I would suggest you are at lower risk on a boat than being stuck in a flat in one of the less desirable parts of a town with no option but to stay there. Some basic security precautions should keep you safe ... Bettie and others have made some good points regarding choice of mooring and 'bedding down' routines.

I have a dog and also an air rifle though neither for the sole purpose of security or safety, but they both help in terms of peace of mind in that respect. smile.png

I also have an app on my phone called "Find my friends" which allows my close family to see my exact location on a map and vice versa.

Some people carry a form of pepper spray (not sure if it's pepper spray exactly) which you can purchase online, e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Defence-Spray-Criminal-Identifier/dp/B00DSP708O?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00DSP708O&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=peppersprayuk-21

Another thing you could do is put "This boat is alarmed" stickers on your windows or "CCTV onboard" etc. You can also buy these online.

If your boat is broken into, it's most likely because they want your possessions and not because they want to cause harm to you. Removing items which advertise expensive possessions (TV aerials/Satellite dish etc) will make your boat a less attractive target. I have neither of these on my roof for that reason. I use the internet for all my tv/radio/media needs.

Our "nappy pins" never used to make much noise; you are using fenders are you not.

Our GSDs only had to appear at the door to make dodgy people wary of us.

Have been untied a couple of times, but you can't go far on a canal without a flow.

Omgord you lot I don't know where to start

But you've all given time and brill advice everyone, I am still working on my dad who owns the boat but it's weird when i go bed then when I wake up i start thinking shit the doors are poo bob all with little screws on latches.

I recon 2 full breed GSD"S are on the cards from Poland, I speak to a nice breader on YouTube.

At the moment though I still wake up and stay awake from 4pm bricking myself.

I definitely prefer to be around other boaters st night.

Funny thing 2 days ago 'dad I don't wanna moor their on the bend near a bridge because they aim for other boats to take the bend'

My dad moans 'wtf were under a tree'

3 hours later a shroppie hire boat passes us dead nice people but they nearly put the front bow onto the towpath. Lol

You know what though I felt for em because they were nice, even though they could of written off a new braidbar.

Thank you all.

Sorry for my slow edit this auto spell is horrid.

Edited by Greylady2

Its not often I get nervous on the boat but since lost my dog i do sometimes but i don't think I would have 2 GSD's ..thats a lot of dog in a boat!..One would be fine.

I may replace Molly but not yet, the pain still raw..Im not sure another could tick the boxes she did. I don't even know what breed id go for..guess time not right.

When Im out in the boat I always moor near other boats but not right on top of them..give them their privacy.

I dont moor anywhere that doesn't feel right.

• Greenie 1

Its not often I get nervous on the boat but since lost my dog i do sometimes but i don't think I would have 2 GSD's ..thats a lot of dog in a boat!..One would be fine.

I may replace Molly but not yet, the pain still raw..Im not sure another could tick the boxes she did. I don't even know what breed id go for..guess time not right.

When Im out in the boat I always moor near other boats but not right on top of them..give them their privacy.

I dont moor anywhere that doesn't feel right.

I can totally relate patty I lost my GSD 16 months ago, dogs are like people dare I say it often more x.

Patty 2 dogs is too much and your right I originally posted about 13 months ago about beagles which I like.

Nothing will replace our last dogs and they never should.

Can't do picture hugs so virtual shoulder nudge.

Edited by Greylady2

We have had two JRT's and both have been like an early warning system of any approaches in the dead of night. Some will no doubt have been false alarms and just a mouse farting on the tow path but I would reckon not all have been.

Keen hearing and a loud bark, I always feel safe when I have my dog with me knowing he will hear stuff before I do.

Get a dog, a boat sized one.