Sunday morning speed trials on the Bridgewater

homer2911

Featured Posts

Moored overnight a mile East of Lymm. Getting on for 20 boats have gone past this morning heading for Altrincham, all at speed. We tried to ask one of them what event had been going on - he actually had to slow down considerably just to hear us!

Title should be 'Speed trials', by the way!

Edited by homer2911

Moored overnight a mile East of Lymm. Getting on for 20 boats have gone past this morning heading for Altrincham, all at speed. We tried to ask one of them what event had been going on - he actually had to slow down considerably just to hear us!

Title should be 'Speed trials', by the way!

Trils --> trials sorted.

N

I was told by a local that Sale boat club boats, are referred to as the Sale Flying Club when out on their rallies, due to the speed they travel in convoy.

I'm currently moored at Hurleston junction. Over half the boats (private, share and hire) passing do not significantly slow down to pass my mooring.

However, within 100 yards they have to slow to negotiate the busy junction.

It would appear they simply cannot be bothered to slow for my benefit, but are more than willing to find tick over when it is for theirs.

In a nut shell, that's the issue. It's selfish behaviour, but I refuse to get involved in shouting, or spoil my day by worrying about it.

England and Ireland were magnificent in the rugby, and Wales made a good fist of it ;)

Rog

• Greenie 1

Bridgewater is a bit of a motorway, nice and deep.

I think this is more likely to be the root of it. Passing moored boats at speed on wide and deep water has much less effect on moored boats than shallow narrow sections.

Did the OP actually have his pins pulled? I suspect not, and the passing boaters know how securely he is moored and how little effect passing quickly has on moored boats on that stretch!

(Edit to correct grammar!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

It may be wide and deep, and people may enjoy racing around, but it butters no parsnips when you're having a shave, or pouring boiling water, or working around the oven and some person races by rocking you about.

It's selfish. I remain convinced that the 'shouters' are often the worst offenders.

Anyway I don't want to get wrinkles, so I'll stop worrying.........damn too late.

Rog

I remain convinced that the 'shouters' are often the worst offenders.

I have long lost count of the number of boats that have come past with their speed control well open that have not bothered to remove those wretched magnetic "Pass on tick-over - 2 mph maximum" magnetic stick on discs from each end of the boat before setting off.

All classic cases of "do as I say, not do as I do"!

Some kind of Festival at Lymm this weekend, although the stuff on the web suggests it starts next week? All the clubs will have had a cruise there, so they will all be coming back over the course of today.

I've given up worrying about speeding boaters, and assume that there will always be some.

It may be wide and deep, and people may enjoy racing around, but it butters no parsnips when you're having a shave, or pouring boiling water, or working around the oven and some person races by rocking you about.

It's selfish. I remain convinced that the 'shouters' are often the worst offenders.

Anyway I don't want to get wrinkles, so I'll stop worrying.........damn too late.

Rog

Something odd about your boat or your mooring technique then, I reckon!

My boat surges back, then forwards very slightly as the stress on my (already tight) mooring lines transfers from one direction to the other. And as the offending speeder passes my boat drops vertically by 2" or 3" as the water is sucked from under it, which feels most disconcerting.

But actually rocking my boat about? Nope, never experienced that (except from canoes perhaps, and then the effect is very slight).

You should spend some time moored on the Thames and experience proper wash from passing boats. Rocking then happens but curiosly, there is none of the 'draw' or 'drop' that heppenss on canals.

Totally agree with you the shouters are the main offenders though!

It is common courtesy to slow down to tick over when passing moored boats.

I will continue to do this because I am a courteous man.

I observe that others are not.

I will lose no sleep over the issue.

Rog

• Greenie 2

It is common courtesy to slow down to tick over when passing moored boats.

I will continue to do this because I am a courteous man.

I observe that others are not.

I will lose no sleep over the issue.

Rog

Totally agree. I slow down regardless too. Sometimes it is techncally not necessary but slowing down stops other boaters feeling angry that one showed no consideration.

If deep and wide then speed has little effect on moored boats. You gently bob up-and -down. But if moored loosely on shallow narrow canals then even slow boats cause you to rock and roll when passing.

Normally it is only an irritation for a few seconds so no big issue to me.

If it matters to you, then tie up tightly.. If you want, you can note their name and speed past them when they are moored - see if they shout - if they notice - if they care.

Myself, I slow down when passing moored boats - if I'm not day-dreaming that is - then I might get shouted at - usually by my wife.

My real gripe is very slow boats that don't wave me through when I'm following them - that irritation can last for hours.

I'm moored on rings on a deep and wide bit of The Bridgewater, and my lines are tight, but the boat still moves significantly when someone goes past too fast.

You can't always hear boats coming, particularly if a kettle is whistling. Or should we nip up on deck to see what's happening every time we do something which could be affected by boats passing too fast?

I'm moored on rings on a deep and wide bit of The Bridgewater, and my lines are tight, but the boat still moves significantly when someone goes past too fast.

You can't always hear boats coming, particularly if a kettle is whistling. Or should we nip up on deck to see what's happening every time we do something which could be affected by boats passing too fast?

Well, as you mentioned it, yes that would be sensible in your case.

Maybe their 7 days on the Bridgewater is coming to an end so they need to get off quickly.

When we were on the Gloucester and Sharpness nobody slowed down to pass moored boats as there is plenty of width and depth, it is more like being moored on a river.

I still reckon if your boat is rocking around to the extent that water being poured out of a kettle gets dangerously spilt when a boat passes quickly, there is *something* badly wrong with your boat or your mooring technique. Are you mooring with your centre line perhaps?

And yes, if passing boats mean you are burning yourself when pouring boiling water from a kettle, nipping up on deck first seems the logical thing to do.

All I was trying to say was that being a deep and wide canal doesn't provide an excuse for boats to speed, and doesn't mean that well moored boats won't move when someone goes past at speed.

My boat is well moored, no centreline used, and no danger of a kettle spilling when boiling...