Sunday morning speed trials on the Bridgewater

homer2911

Featured Posts

If I may ... this 'always pass moored boats at tick-over' is cobblers. Every boat is different and the impact on moored boats is dictated as much by the depth of water they're in and how well they are moored as the speed of passing boats. And no matter how tight your lines are, if they're at 90 degrees to the boat, you ain't properly moored.

If I may ... this 'always pass moored boats at tick-over' is cobblers. Every boat is different and the impact on moored boats is dictated as much by the depth of water they're in and how well they are moored as the speed of passing boats. And no matter how tight your lines are, if they're at 90 degrees to the boat, you ain't properly moored.

And if my lines were tight and also angled away from the boat fore and aft? My pins, hammered as far into the round as they would go, didn't budge during the evening when a number of boats went past at a reasonable speed. All that changed the following morning when the Bridgwater Monte Carlo Grand Prix commenced, and the pins were significantly displaced within an hour. No excuse for it. Your right to calculate depth of water/displacement and whatever else you consider isn't 'cobblers' as you so describe it with such commanding authority, is trumped by my wife's need t inject her medication without fear of stabbing herself in the wrong place with a hypodermic,

• Greenie 1

Some years ago we were moored for the evening, moored behind us was a dawncraft a boat went passed extremely fast 30 seconds later there was a scream from the boat behind, we went out to see what was wrong the guy from the dawncraft came out asking if we could help there boat had lurched over and a pan of boiling water had gone all over his wife, my over half rushed her to hospital she had severe scolding down one arm. This could have been avoided if only the idiot would have slowed down. And you do get draw when moored on the Thames

Some years ago we were moored for the evening, moored behind us was a dawncraft a boat went passed extremely fast 30 seconds later there was a scream from the boat behind, we went out to see what was wrong the guy from the dawncraft came out asking if we could help there boat had lurched over and a pan of boiling water had gone all over his wife, my over half rushed her to hospital she had severe scolding down one arm. This could have been avoided if only the idiot would have slowed down. And you do get draw when moored on the Thames

Which canal?

Something odd about your boat or your mooring technique then, I reckon!

My boat surges back, then forwards very slightly as the stress on my (already tight) mooring lines transfers from one direction to the other. And as the offending speeder passes my boat drops vertically by 2" or 3" as the water is sucked from under it, which feels most disconcerting.

But actually rocking my boat about? Nope, never experienced that (except from canoes perhaps, and then the effect is very slight).

You should spend some time moored on the Thames and experience proper wash from passing boats. Rocking then happens but curiosly, there is none of the 'draw' or 'drop' that heppenss on canals.

Totally agree with you the shouters are the main offenders though!

You won't get draw on the Thames because the cross sectional area of the channel is HUGE compared with cross sectional area of the boat, but short deep boats with transoms like the gin palaces kit up big waves which do rock you.

N

All I was trying to say was that being a deep and wide canal doesn't provide an excuse for boats to speed, and doesn't mean that well moored boats won't move when someone goes past at speed.

My boat is well moored, no centreline used, and no danger of a kettle spilling when boiling...

I am sorry, I'm not following, the problem is?

Edited by Alan Taylor

You won't get draw on the Thames because the cross sectional area of the channel is HUGE compared with cross sectional area of the boat, but short deep boats with transoms like the gin palaces kit up big waves which do rock you.

N

So the Salter's steamers don't draw you.