Wheeee ...................

Aguila

Featured Posts

Good point

Its not all good natured that's for sure.

I think you have to know the person to use these terms or have it as part of an obvious humourous comment otherwise they may be assumed to be offensive.

As with a lot of things.

So the GRP boat would just be the split ?

Or, to use a slightly reprehensible modern construction, borrowed from the French, the "splitee"

N

I agree they are lovely but I wouldn't touch them with a largepole smile.png

Talking about largepoles, I phoned Silsden boats a couple of years ago and asked if they had a boat shaft in stock. They thought I meant a prop shaft. Is the term "boat shaft" not commonly known or is it a term wrongly used by me.

smiley_offtopic.gif Of topic. Sorry, I should give myself a warning and put myself on modqueue.

Despite claims to the contrary a narrowboat is a type of barge.

Hear, hear! Have a green thing.

Talking about largepoles, I phoned Silsden boats a couple of years ago and asked if they had a boat shaft in stock. They thought I meant a prop shaft. Is the term "boat shaft" not commonly known or is it a term wrongly used by me.

smiley_offtopic.gif Of topic. Sorry, I should give myself a warning and put myself on modqueue.

Hear, hear! Have a green thing.

Long shaft, Shirley?

Last week on the South Oxford we went past a lovely little plastic cruiser called Yogurt, owner was very happy that we got the joke, he said many failed.

.................Dave

Yes, we've seen it a couple of times and I've told the owner that we appreciate the joke in its name. It's currently moored on the 14-day moorings below Cropredy lock - or it was yesterday anyway. As the water level in that pound is currently startlingly low, it may be the only boat capable of leaving its mooring. We were on the bottom tis morning and a deep-draughted Les Allen which moors across from us returned last night and could not get within six feet of the shore.

The shore? Shorely that's not correct terminology for the land surrounding a canal. don't you mean the bank.

I'm not shore. Whatever it was, the boat couldn't get near it.

Edited by Athy

I wonder what the technically correct term is?

I have heard 'canal bank' being used as an address, towpath obviously for the walkway. Edge maybe? Is this a catastrophically boring subject?

Long shaft is one of the traditional terms for what is often called a "Barge pole" nowadays. You can also have a Severn shaft, which was about 20' long, or a hitcher which was the east Anglian term. There were other terms used around the country.

The other one is the cabin shaft, which lives on the cabin top- what people nowadays call a boathook, with the hook sharpened on one side to cut through rubbish on the blade.

Long shaft is one of the traditional terms for what is often called a "Barge pole" nowadays. You can also have a Severn shaft, which was about 20' long, or a hitcher which was the east Anglian term. There were other terms used around the country.

The other one is the cabin shaft, which lives on the cabin top- what people nowadays call a boathook, with the hook sharpened on one side to cut through rubbish on the blade.

Is twenty foot that long? I thought the current ones on sale were short

Richard

Its a red ensign. I think most of us could fly one. Blue is another matter.

Red can be used by anyone (anyone can buy)

Blue is for royal navy Merchant ships (anyone can buy with permission by navy if your doing any sort of merchant use for them of any kind)

White only royal navy vessels and some royal navy buildings can fly (you cant buy them only given them)

Even driftwood like those old wrecks on eBay :lol: (

I tend to class wooden a seasoning fire wood.

Fiberglass a placky or chocolate

I have to admit near bullbourne there was a sunk very tatty placky sunk with (dont judge this book by its cover in a window) but i dont get how crt can leave sunk boats lying about as it clearly hasnt had anyone on for a while

Sorry was a bit off topic

We are currently overnighting in Stone . Bow and stern sprung , as usual . Took our daughter up to the station , waved her off , walked back to find ropes loose , 3 pots on the roof fallen over ,one on the gas locker . Inside books had fallen out of the bookcase fruit on the floor , tins in the windows cupboard moved . Internal doors swung closed . Hire boat tied up at the bottom lock , going down . Driver kept looking back at us as we were wondering if we had been hit or just moved . Apparently the hire boat locked down later and proceeded to leave the lock on ' full boor' past the moored boats . Question answered . Re-tied , put books etc back . Just lucky our rabbit was tucked behind the chairs not in the way of flying books . Bunny

Red can be used by anyone (anyone can buy)

Blue is for royal navy Merchant ships (anyone can buy with permission by navy if your doing any sort of merchant use for them of any kind)

White only royal navy vessels and some royal navy buildings can fly (you cant buy them only given them)

I fancy flying one of these:

man3-05.jpg

Richard

I bought a small fibreglass boat last year and an old friend (who is 70 years old and been living on the water since the 60s) described it as a 'Noddy Boat'. It happens to be a bit of an odd boat but I didn't realise that was an older term for fibreglass boats.